The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who opted for fabric seats?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
Ordered my Grenadier SW with cloth seats. (Heated). Anyone wanting to chip in and convince me of the leather option?

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
I've done the same and included heated seats.

My thinking was I'd likely put some nice leather covers over them, but having the base layer that is easy to clean when not protected and potentially something you can hose down?

Similar to yourself I'm happy to convinced otherwise?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
Leather feels nicer and instead of wearing out it simply gets patina over the years.
You'll get more money when you sell it.

It I didn't first want it as black leather gets damn hot in the sun. But then I saw they have a black/grey version and I ordered it.

However, it is water sensitive if not regularly impregnated (say once a year or so).

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
I'm a "cover all seats with seat covers cause I never want them to wear out and the dog will wreck them" kinda guy, so fabric it is (heated for the wife's bum and my lower back). 

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As much as I like leather I’m still thinking fabric for this vehicle. I do get the resale value thing and  I like the cream leather in the wife’s X3 but not convinced yet that it will suit the image of this vehicle. Hence my post. ?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Cheshire cat userid=8997814 postid=1332924572]Ordered my Grenadier SW with cloth seats. (Heated). Anyone wanting to chip in and convince me of the leather option?[/QUOTE]
I'm the opposite...tropical climate, so seats which are connected to the aircon to pump cool air through the seat base would be very welcome if they were available!!
so I opted for the standard seats... I had leather in my old P38 Rangie and I must admit that if I remembered to "feed" them twice a year with leather conditioner they were very comfortable in hot weather provided a microfibre towel was placed over them.... 

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Still undecided. The cloth seats are made of some kind of plastic material and neoprene from what I am reading so no idea what they are really like. 
Was thinking of getting them and putting some nice sheepskin seat covers on them. 
On the other hand the black/gray leather looks good but again what leather is it.
My Mercedes’ “leather” seats are not made from dead animals so what is the value of leather?
In my Mazda BT50 I had black leather for Teh front seats and cloth covered with Neoprene seat cover for the rear so the grandkids didn’t stain and wreck the seats. 
If I am parking in the sun I put a screen over the inside of the windscreen to keep interior cool and the windows will be the heat reflective class + tint so hot seats are not such a problem. 

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The thought of sitting on canvas does not make me very excited to jump in the car. 
Whilst I have ample padding I still like something softer and more tactile

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good point.

I am hoping that they are easy to put on & off and intend to use them on camping /off roading trips, especially in winter/wet

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Mark Evans  grenadierboy userid=8954799 postid=1332926851]Either way - why not get the seat covers (at least for the front).

They have been made specifically for the shape of the seats, look good, offer protection and seem reasonably priced.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you there, though I fear they're stupidly expensive as most OEM stuff is.  I can't see prices cause I'm in the U.S.  But maybe others can in their respective countries?....

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've gone for leather (black), what I have at the moment and I like them. Think I would regret not getting them. Have also opted for the seat covers all round as yes my dog(s) and kids will ruin them as well.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
I find the seat covers cheekily expensive. For the front and the rear you're at 664€, but they are not much more laborious to produce than a blue jeans.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Certainly not a bargain and somewhat more niche than blue jeans but I take your point. I've also scratched my front passenger leather seat with the wheel lock that was down in the footwell within about 10 minutes of ownership, so I'm thinking prevention from the start. 

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Fabric for me in the Trialmaster.Leather is hot to sit on in summer.Seems silly to cover leather for the next owner (in 20 years when I won't care)I'll get some mudproof covers in due course - or perhaps just sit on a towel.I had an 80 series Landcruiser with cloth seats for 12 years - and 3 growing sons and some rough use all round failed to damage the fabric.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are airbags in the IG Recaro seats? I have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe (diesel). There are airbags incorporated in the sides of the backrest which makes fitting seat covers problematic if they are not specifically made to allow the airbag to deploy without interference... hence the cost factor.

Back
Top Bottom