The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Where is IA in five years? What do you think?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:01 PM
Reaction score
You'll have to apologize for me thinking he was all show..well do skipper
He's onto his 1st latte and a huge glass of water. It's about 30C

Reactions: Max

stuart1927

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
I think IA have a great opportunity to offer something that is disappearing from the automotive landscape. The only real alternatives have been various Landcruisers and they are slowly being softened up over time. I think the 70 series has been a mainstay, certainly in Australia/NZ but looks as though they are being phased out. Having a rugged, solid axle, offroad capable vehicle that is simpler in terms of electronics, but still meets current regulations is quite a niche market, but a sizeable one. Offroading is gaining in popularity, fueled by various youtube content creators, I think this is a market that will continue to grow. I think if IA continue to improve and support the vehicle, it has a great future.

Local time
Reaction score
As customers I would assume that most of you are interested in having a robust background for the car. Service, parts, repairs, etc. For those of you who not just want to drive a Grenadier once and only as long as the leasing lasts (maybe 3 or 5 years), but maybe 5, 10 or even longer, a reliable and healthy company is a must. Maybe many of you also want to drive a potential successor.

So I asked myself what does it take? In some discussions in this forum IA is considered as a small vehicle manufacturer, even if not in terms of law, but the production/sales numbers (but only looked at Europe). So my question is, what do you think, where is Ineos Automotive in five years? Will there be a third model, next to the Grenadier and the E-Grenadier which should enter the market 2026 at the latest (ok, looking at the promised schedules and the actual performance of the Grenadier I don't believe that this will happen...).

I looked at a few numbers regarding car manufacturers and their sales number worldwide. The smallest numbers I could get (for 2019) were Aston Martin with 59,000 units followed by Ferrari with 101,000 units. Tesla is at 368,000 units and JLR 558,000. From all listed here, only Astom Martin is member of the ESCA, the European Small Volume Car Manufacturer Alliance, where Ineos is also a member of. Ineos targets 30,000 to 35,000 units per year for the Grenadier. Other brands of the ESCA are part of large companies or have a close relationship to them, like Alpina or Bugatti. The ESCA limit is set to 10,000 units per year registered in Europe, which makes clear that they can have larger production numbers in global sales, like Aston Martin or Ineos. I think that is important, because it shows that if you look at the scale of the manufacturing, number of plants, employees, service organization, sales organization and if there is access to parts of the group or if you produce all on you own, makes a difference. Interestingly Wiesmann is a member of the ESCA as well, even if it had very small numbers compared to the others and Wiesmann today is far from beeing the original Wiesmann of the three brothers (they were really crazy in what they did and how one of them did marketing). Wiesmann is also a good example, that even if you are based on an existing car and existing engines, there always was a cross-financing. Wiessmann produced childrens clothing and hard-top-conversions very successfull and that paid many of the Wiesmann bills.

What I'm very curious about is, if Ineos can get the turnaround to become a profitable copany with a car which has to face the wind of change regarding environmental issues. Regardless of all enthusiasts here, you need quite higher sales numbers to keep such an organization running over a longer period of time or you need a far higher price per unit. You could think the E-Grenadier is exactly the right thing to do, to mitigate that. But it will cost a huge amount of money to devolp this beforehand. And after that? Will there a third modell and will there be money to develop it? All of the manufacturers of the ESCA either modify existing cars or they have more modells to sell, but all at very exclusive prices or they produce for a niche. Like Goupil (which belongs to Polaris), but their customers are not private persons but communities and public service organizations.

What do you think how Ineos Automotive will look like in five years and which cars will they offer?

AWo
Ah, but Ineos is an enormous chemical and extraction company. And my guess is that that industrial, extraction, energy production, mining world is where they expect to do their numbers after us starry eyed civilians have helped them ID the bugs and flaws. When equipment goes down on a huge industrial site, the downtime costs serious money. So you don't want to enter that market first. In that world equipment reliability is near the top of the list of important items, way ahead of leather seats, and subwoofers. The running cost of, say, a mine (land, employees, cost of money, etc etc) runs into billions. If your crews cannot get to work their work point the downtime costs are enormous. Those industries need a rugged, reliable vehicle. They are not going to buy RR Defenders or Lexus 4x4s. So, sadly, all of us early adopter wannabes are likely the self-funded lab rats whose purpose in life is to find the flaws in a brand new vehicle before it goes into its main market.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ah, but Ineos is an enormous chemical and extraction company. And my guess is that that industrial, extraction, energy production, mining world is where they expect to do their numbers after us starry eyed civilians have helped them ID the bugs and flaws. When equipment goes down on a huge industrial site, the downtime costs serious money. So you don't want to enter that market first. In that world equipment reliability is near the top of the list of important items, way ahead of leather seats, and subwoofers. The running cost of, say, a mine (land, employees, cost of money, etc etc) runs into billions. If your crews cannot get to work their work point the downtime costs are enormous. Those industries need a rugged, reliable vehicle. They are not going to buy RR Defenders or Lexus 4x4s. So, sadly, all of us early adopter wannabes are likely the self-funded lab rats whose purpose in life is to find the flaws in a brand new vehicle before it goes into its main market.
I agree wholeheartedly and wait there is more...the DCPU is set to hit the market...Defense is a huge market and if the Grenadier Quartermaster isn't in that ball game as well as the Grenadier Trialmaster then something went wrong...but I don't think that will be so, I think you are right in saying they are getting everything to work absolutely spot on and then pull the trigger...let's hope for the Ineos program to succeed...;)

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:01 PM
Reaction score
I think IA have a great opportunity to offer something that is disappearing from the automotive landscape. The only real alternatives have been various Landcruisers and they are slowly being softened up over time. I think the 70 series has been a mainstay, certainly in Australia/NZ but looks as though they are being phased out. Having a rugged, solid axle, offroad capable vehicle that is simpler in terms of electronics, but still meets current regulations is quite a niche market, but a sizeable one. Offroading is gaining in popularity, fueled by various youtube content creators, I think this is a market that will continue to grow. I think if IA continue to improve and support the vehicle, it has a great future.
Considering that 70 series sells 10-15k in the Australian market every year and has a huge backlog of ~10k there is definitely demand for this sort of vehicle. The Australian market alone could absorb 20% of the factories production capacity...

AWo

Local time
8:01 AM
Reaction score
Not true if you look at the number of patent filings in recent years.

Then look at the Dragon ships ~ could almost be the perfect casestudy for a clever strategy.

And not forgetting hydrogen, where Ineos are investing huge sums in new technology.

It's usually quite the opposite they take over failing, neglected or orphaned businesses, usually paying cents on the dollar for them.

You seem so focused on creating your own narrative that actual facts are ignored.
The dragon ships are small scale. Ineos started as a rather small chemical company in Antwerp. When BP got fed up in 2006 of its global chemical business they put it into a company called Innovene and sold it. The buyer was Ratcliff, 9 billion $. Innovene was 2/3 of the size of Ineos. This move made Ineos big, not internal growth. More acquisitions followed, sometimes with 50% share, sometimes full. They also didn't do explorations on their own, no, they bought oil abd gas fields already in use. Ineos almost always buys things which are already ready.

On the large scale they never started something on their own and some acquisitions, especially the once highly celebrated engagements in China really turned out worse wirh loss of money.

AWo

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do not forget that before even a small market like the one imagined by Ineos notices the Grenadier, so as to consider a purchase of this magnitude, it imagines that the childhood problems have been overcome (we are talking about ancillaries, certainly not burnt engines or transmissions blew up...). It is true that social networks are spreading rapidly, but we are also talking about niches for these. When I walk down the street, I still only see very few curious people turning around, and I live in a traditionally Defender land...
Events like Goodwood are great for creating an image of desirability. It's true that the Grenadier is a vehicle that wants to be tough and pure, but we're talking about tough and pure with a large wallet and very attentive to charisma, a Goodwood-style charisma. In the end, crossing Africa are very few, irrelevant on the market...
Moreover. If I imagine how many headaches Sir Jim has had in recent months, I don't see why he should sell, considering that the 'huge' investment is always a relatively small part of his assets, and it seems to me that, headaches aside, he is having a lot of fun...

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The dragon ships are small scale. Ineos started as a rather small chemical company in Antwerp. When BP got fed up in 2006 of its global chemical business they put it into a company called Innovene and sold it. The buyer was Ratcliff, 9 billion $. Innovene was 2/3 of the size of Ineos. This move made Ineos big, not internal growth. More acquisitions followed, sometimes with 50% share, sometimes full. They also didn't do explorations on their own, no, they bought oil abd gas fields already in use. Ineos almost always buys things which are already ready.

On the large scale they never started something on their own and some acquisitions, especially the once highly celebrated engagements in China really turned out worse wirh loss of money.

AWo
All right but, let's look closely, the Grenadier project is not dissimilar. Purchase of a beautiful and ready factory, components and project practically entrusted to those with enormous experience. In short, it doesn't seem like an adventure really and dangerously from scratch... And if it were easy to start just by acquiring another factory for 9B$, I think we'd all be ready to do it... but that's not the case, you always need great intelligence and luck, which I think could also be possible for AI...

Local time
Reaction score
First of all, for me it's an impressive achievement that INEOS made the Grenadier real. And not only a couple of prototypes but a running series production. There are not so many companies out there that made it from headlines to a series product. The only comparison that comes to my mind is RIVIAN. Also a company aiming to a very specific niche market, but knowing that there are customers out there. And look at their production ramp up. In comparison with what RIVIAN puts on the streets in terms of built quality, the result of INEOS is even more remarkable.

Looking 5 years ahead. Obviously the Grenadier found it's market. But is this sufficient? 30k units might not be enough to be fiancially succesful. So what to do? From my point of view there are three areas INEOS should focus on. By the way, it feels great to give hints to a company that has not asked for it. Like a non-profit consultant. ;-)

• Take sustaining engineering of the Grenadier serious and sort out all the known issues fast. As Euro 7 is by now disappering behind the horizon, the Grenadier could be continued until 2030ff. with only moderate updates. From my point of view huge facelifts are not required and wanted by the customers.
  • Develop an Euro III down-grade military spec version of the Grenadier and paticipate in official tenders (we discussed the potential restrictions of the BMW engines). This is where the money can be earned. Looking back to the Australian army G-wagon deal a couple of years ago, including service, maintanance and a certain amount of spare parts, each vehicle was around 250.000€ at that time.
  • And finally, develop a proper purpose built electric 4x4. I'm convinced that this is not only necessary to comply with certain CO2 regulations e.g. in Europe but is also a big lever to reach a further group of customers. I'm thinking of a car like the RIVIAN R1S or the announced Scout. Obviously those cars would not give a 1,000km autonomy on one charge but for those purposes there will be still the ICE versions of the Grenadier.
Just my 50 cents. :)

Max

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Fitch&Moody's has downrated Ineos credit rating from BB+ to BB which means "low financial standing" and that giving money to that company is speculative with a high risk of loss.

It also seems, what I already mentioned, that the chemical business stands in for Ineos Automotive. At least in 2020 471 Mio. Euros where lent to Ineos Automotive from the chemical business. So these business are not completely independent from each other...nor all is payed by JR private cash....

AWo

Last edited:

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly I think they will still be around. I don’t see any additional dealers (total #) in the US network. I dont think the Quartermaster will still exist (at least in the US). Vehicle sales will be in the 5 figures (US numbers). Pricing will go up, guessing about 15%.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps in 5 years Land Rover will buy Ineos Automotive from Jim R, discontinue their New Defender, and change the Grenadier name to "Defender revival". :unsure: :cool:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly I think they will still be around. I don’t see any additional dealers (total #) in the US network. I dont think the Quartermaster will still exist (at least in the US). Vehicle sales will be in the 5 figures (US numbers). Pricing will go up, guessing about 15%.
Based on Greg's comments during the NADAlive, it seems positive for longevity that they already have 10-15 years out mapped...

As for Quartermasters, IA stands by the statement that ordering will open for them in the US later this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see demos stateside before the Summer... Now, who will buy them with the chicken tax, that's a whole different question

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
Based on Greg's comments during the NADAlive, it seems positive for longevity that they already have 10-15 years out mapped...

As for Quartermasters, IA stands by the statement that ordering will open for them in the US later this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see demos stateside before the Summer... Now, who will buy them with the chicken tax, that's a whole different question
That’s pretty much as I understand it. As for the quartermaster buyers, I thought you were in the vanguard there @anand.

Back
Top Bottom