The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wheel Nut Weights

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:45 AM
Reaction score
A thread partly provoked by comments on the Christian & Vera/ @emax video, and partly by thoughts I'd already had about using locking wheel nuts with the new open ended (and so smaller) ordinary nuts with steel wheels.

I've weighed one of each.

Standard open ended nut = 32g
Original closed cap nut = 74g
Locking wheel nut = 84g

WP_20230610_14_11_00_Pro.jpgWP_20230610_16_43_22_Pro.jpgWP_20230610_14_10_45_Pro.jpg

Not sure about taking them off altogether, but for the time being I've moved them all to sit opposite the valves. A probably less than useless gesture to balance things...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They do look a bit weighty.
I don't agree with his comment about nobody stealing the steel wheels.
It's the tyres they'd be after.
Quite - and I thought the wheel size was compatible with some Merc vans?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
A thread partly provoked by comments on the Christian & Vera/ @emax video, and partly by thoughts I'd already had about using locking wheel nuts with the new open ended (and so smaller) ordinary nuts with steel wheels.

I've weighed one of each.

Standard open ended nut = 32g
Original closed cap nut = 74g
Locking wheel nut = 84g

View attachment 7815835View attachment 7815836View attachment 7815834

Not sure about taking them off altogether, but for the time being I've moved them all to sit opposite the valves. A probably less than useless gesture to balance things...
HI DCPU, Perhaps this is the reason for some of the vibration many are finding. Might be worth rebalancing the rims/tires since from my understanding they were not balanced with the wheel locks on. Here's a post I published on this and other causes of vibration I experienced on my Land Rover Sport and how I cured the Vibration. DaBull
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/vibrations-at-certain-rpm.12411991/

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
HI DCPU, Perhaps this is the reason for some of the vibration many are finding.
Perhaps, if they have locking wheel nuts and are feeling it through the steering?

Might be worth rebalancing the rims/tires since from my understanding they were not balanced with the wheel locks on.
Is there a way to balance taking into account the weight of the locking wheel nut?

Crofthead

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Also, this additional mass is located very close to the axis of rotation. It would be more of an issue at the edge of the wheel.
Just my thoughts.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As the locking nut is attached to the hub and not the wheel, would it actually have an impact on the wheel balance?
On the vehicle yes, on a balancing machine no. Hence the discussion.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Also, this additional mass is located very close to the axis of rotation. It would be more of an issue at the edge of the wheel.
Just my thoughts.
Yes true, but I guess the question is just how much of an issue is it?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
Quite - and I thought the wheel size was compatible with some Merc vans?
Merc Van with that wheel/tyre combo would be awesome!
Do I have to cut the guards?

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes true, but I guess the question is just how much of an issue is it?
Found this comment re locking wheel nut weights on LR Time video on @emax Grenadier. Comment is from Christian (I know precisely nothing about the subject!) ..............

"If the weight difference is 10 grams x 75 mm radius , then 75 gmm of unbalance is introduced by this nut. The balance tolerance of a brake disk rotor for example in a modern vehicle like this is 180 gmm. So this nut is eventually equivalent to a out-of-spec brake disk rotor. And that is not correct - not on a high price vehicle like this. The reason for low balance specs in the road wheel drive line is the high autobahn speed. At 180 kmh you feel 75 gmm (on 4 wheels), especially if they vectorially line up with the residual unbalnce of the brake rotor and the wheel. I do build production drive line balance machines for a living and do YouTube as a hobby. Christian"

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:45 AM
Reaction score
With wheel locks, do you also get to keep the five standard nuts removed? I spec’d the wheel locks just to lock the spare, and really just want standard nuts on the road wheels.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:45 PM
Reaction score
Locking nuts are super common. I get what Christian is saying, and it makes sense, but what practical effect will it introduce compared with bad roads and knobby tires? If I were doing long stretches of highway maybe I'd be more concerned, but I still plan on getting aftermarket wheel locks.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
I got a bollocking for using the bathroom scales for the wheel the other day, so I wasn't going near the kitchen ones. These are the dog's - for his kibble.
I did the same (bathroom scale) but she wasn't home :ROFLMAO: , I do most of the things at my car when she isn't home because she told me I spend too much time to it. :eek: She is "probably" right ;)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did the same (bathroom scale) but she wasn't home :ROFLMAO: , I do most of the things at my car when she isn't home because she told me I spend too much time to it. :eek: She is "probably" right ;)
a buck gets ten that DCPU has heard similar from Mrs. DCPU

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Found this comment re locking wheel nut weights on LR Time video on @emax Grenadier. Comment is from Christian (I know precisely nothing about the subject!) ..............

"If the weight difference is 10 grams x 75 mm radius , then 75 gmm of unbalance is introduced by this nut. The balance tolerance of a brake disk rotor for example in a modern vehicle like this is 180 gmm. So this nut is eventually equivalent to a out-of-spec brake disk rotor. And that is not correct - not on a high price vehicle like this. The reason for low balance specs in the road wheel drive line is the high autobahn speed. At 180 kmh you feel 75 gmm (on 4 wheels), especially if they vectorially line up with the residual unbalnce of the brake rotor and the wheel. I do build production drive line balance machines for a living and do YouTube as a hobby. Christian"
Excellent, I like a bit of science, even if I don't understand it fully. 👍

"10 grams x 75 mm radius , then 75 gmm", should that be 750gmm?

Back
Top Bottom