The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What do you think of a (physical) Club House for owners

Local time
4:08 PM
Reaction score
I'm pondering the idea of opening a physical clubhouse or basecamp that caters to the Grenadier owner. I’m based in SoCal so the first location would be in the greater LA area.

What I would like to get from the global forum members are:
+ first, would you join
+ second, what features of the clubhouse would you like to see

I’ve listed a few that my family and I have thought of below:

- Repair
+ Something that the UK has today...is the ability to rent a garage:
lift, disposal for oil, compressor, etc
+ Access to a mechanic for difficult repairs (maybe even warranty service)
+ Service of items that are not covered by warranty or voided warranty
+ Education: How to, DIY

- Mods/Tuning
+ Purchase
+ Installation
+ Service
+ Drive train and Engine Tuning (mileage, HP, gear changes)

- Events
+ Launch (excursions: day trips or extended…)
+ Provisions
+ Coordination/Meeting space
+ Industry speakers
+ Branded events
+ Member events (private parties, show&tell (new version of the vacation slide show)
+ Showcase (new products)

- Lifestyle
+Merch (Jackets, Yeti, Coolers, etc)
+Food/Drink service

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm pondering the idea of opening a physical clubhouse or basecamp that caters to the Grenadier owner. I’m based in SoCal so the first location would be in the greater LA area.

What I would like to get from the global forum members are:
+ first, would you join
+ second, what features of the clubhouse would you like to see

I’ve listed a few that my family and I have thought of below:

- Repair
+ Something that the UK has today...is the ability to rent a garage:
lift, disposal for oil, compressor, etc
+ Access to a mechanic for difficult repairs (maybe even warranty service)
+ Service of items that are not covered by warranty or voided warranty
+ Education: How to, DIY

- Mods/Tuning
+ Purchase
+ Installation
+ Service
+ Drive train and Engine Tuning (mileage, HP, gear changes)

- Events
+ Launch (excursions: day trips or extended…)
+ Provisions
+ Coordination/Meeting space
+ Industry speakers
+ Branded events
+ Member events (private parties, show&tell (new version of the vacation slide show)
+ Showcase (new products)

- Lifestyle
+Merch (Jackets, Yeti, Coolers, etc)
+Food/Drink service
Hi Roach, Great idea! I would especially like training for proper off-road use and winch operations.
They could be both onsite and offsite. Seeing & discussing the mods that others have done
would be fantastic. I like the idea of a lift where you could check out the chassis, wiring and
components and make sure everything is ship shape. Yes, I would join! DaBull

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @DaBull

If you were to prioritize what is important to you it would be the ‘lift’ and educational events?

Personally, it’s been a quite a few years since I’ve gone off road (rocks, streams, hills) and I could use a bit of instruction.

Local time
Reaction score
@Jeffrey "affordable" might be a factor later but for planning purposes there is plenty of commercial real-estate for sale that looks doable. On a five/ten year model (that I have not done yet) you could assume that the building would have gone up in price. I would add that I wasn't wading into the idea to make money off the real-estate, it just often works out that way:)

Actively looking for warehouse, industrial or quonset style in the 5k/sf range. The space will need to carry the theme as its the strongest visual of the experience. Kind of like the space that Ineos used a bit ago to show the car to prospective buyers (arts district in LA) but something more local.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
Only because you specifically asked for feedback.

Would I join? No

Do I think this could have some traction? In your area (LA), yes it could (look at the growth of Westside Collector)

I feel like I should preface the next few paragraphs by saying that whatever your goals, interests, and reasons for purchasing a Grenadier or engaging in "overlanding" may be, they are your own. It's a beautiful thing here in the US that we can each have our own reasons for doing something, and we certainly don't need to all agree.

I think your concept specifically serves the "lifestyle" enthusiast, who will outfit their vehicle with the latest and greatest item with sufficient "overland tax" added on to it without further thought (not using Affirm to split their payments), and will love sipping on an Americano while listening to someone give a talk about how to adequately prep a vehicle for a Pan-American highway journey. In the end, these owners will conquer a few miles of Anza-Borrego SP's trails to get to a camp site, spend an hour setting up all their camping gadgets, and enjoy the stars for a weekend. Come Monday morning, they will bring their vehicle back to the clubhouse to be detailed so their coworkers or clients don't get their pant legs dirty on the sidesteps at lunch that day.

The existence of this market segment is made blatantly aware by the absolute growth of Overland Expo (in number of attendees, new vendors, and the topics of their speakers); not to mention the fact that the show has been sold/repurchased twice in as many years. The amount of money that visitors are willing to blindly dump into their vehicle and for "experiences" is staggering, but it's there and plenty of people are reaping the financial benefits of it while the customers enjoy that they are feeling what their favorite content creators are feeling and think they are having the time of their lives.

For me, however, if I need lift space, there are options that exist for that (with tools) in pretty much every urban area (although, due to liability, these are dwindling), modifications and service that I don't do myself are left to a trusted shop that is experienced in the field (I'll happily drive 6hrs in each direction for a winter-time oil change if I don't feel like doing it myself in the driveway), I am more than capable of planning my own trips (and we have been for years), for education I'll go straight to the source instead of involving an intermediary, and much of my vehicle-related merch (and legitimately, my overall wardrobe) comes from companies in the "overland" and off road world that I whole heartedly support and have become family over the years (for everything else, there are plenty of REIs across the country and MEC in Canada for merch); if I need food/drink, I'd rather swing through Chick-Fil-A or Starbucks than drive to a specialized location.

Again, this isn't knocking your concept, or saying it doesn't have a future ahead, simply giving my opinion, since you asked :)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
THIS is my club - I am a Global Grenadier. In fact, this/we are this club. All of us.

There will be sub-clubs - on the local level - but I want to remain under our umbrella.

I think in the next week or so, this will be discussed, for once trucks are in hands it will be natural to gather locally.

Local time
Reaction score
@anand 100% agree...the clubhouse isn't for everybody. Might have been Groucho that said: I Don’t Want to Belong to Any Club That Will Accept Me as a Member:)

While I haven't looked hard for lift space that can be rented in my area I am not aware of any. The concept is more prevalent in other countries and I do love the idea for checking things out after a trip or repair.

@anand Did you use to live in California? Guilty of a few Anza trip. Loved those getaways when the kids were little. Your comment made me go search the archives for some family videos. As I watch the video I wonder if those trails exist or if you are allowed to use them anymore. I always thought of myself as "not leaving footprints"...I guess I was bigfoot then.

There is one other possibility down the road and that is the "clubhouse" could also be your dealer (or maybe delivery point).

Attachments

• Anza Clip 1.mov
    6 MB
  • Anza clip 2 - SD 480p.mov
    4.9 MB
Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
It would probably work in LA to a degree. Definitely won’t work where I live.

The side-by-side clubs are a great way for people to get out with like-minded individuals. Can’t see why the same can’t happen for the grenadier.
Curious as to why it won't work in Michigan...remote area?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@anand Did you use to live in California? Guilty of a few Anza trip. Loved those getaways when the kids were little. Your comment made me go search the archives for some family videos. As I watch the video I wonder if those trails exist or if you are allowed to use them anymore. I always thought of myself as "not leaving footprints"...I guess I was bigfoot then.
Hah, I actually did, I lived in San Diego for about 20 months when I was in high school (20+ years ago); never been to Anza specifically though

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Roach, Great idea! I would especially like training for proper off-road use and winch operations.
They could be both onsite and offsite. Seeing & discussing the mods that others have done
would be fantastic. I like the idea of a lift where you could check out the chassis, wiring and
components and make sure everything is ship shape. Yes, I would join! DaBull
I agree with everything @DaBull posted.

I'm not too far to come visit, if non-Californians would be allowed ;). It'd be at least one overnight, but that's not an issue.

I'll second the off-road training / 4x4 recovery, and proper, safe winching.

Local time
Reaction score
I agree with everything @DaBull posted.

I'm not too far to come visit, if non-Californians would be allowed ;). It'd be at least one overnight, but that's not an issue.

I'll second the off-road training / 4x4 recovery, and proper, safe winching.
Guests would be encouraged!

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What if this were a co-op or member owned? Would that be a plus or minus?
Unless you know a rich benefactor, I'd say it would probably have to be a co-op / member owned, either that , or some pretty big membership dues to pay for the purchase and upkeep on a building, plus whatever property.

Local time
Reaction score
I work as a strategic planner at an OEM and have worked in aftermarket strategy before. This idea often comes up but the economics are unteneble. Aside from the obvious insurance issues, the problem with moving from a passion project to business is that you have to pay for everything by way of hiring staff or purchasing services.

It's a good business model if you are rich and don't care about throwing money away on a passion project!

Local time
Reaction score
Unless you know a rich benefactor, I'd say it would probably have to be a co-op / member owned, either that , or some pretty big membership dues to pay for the purchase and upkeep on a building, plus whatever property.
Yes, the key problem is that for it to be "worth it" to most people, they will have to heavily utilize the space. This places heavy constraints on either revenue or costs, your choice.

One way that i've seen a potential way to square this circle is to work it into a side business, such as a coffee shop or retail. Rapha does this with bikes, and there's a car club in newport beach that has a cafe attached to it for people to visit and look at cars.

Back
Top Bottom