The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What are your plans with the Grenadier?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:55 AM
Reaction score
It's been blowing a howling gale the past 9 hours here. My wife says "how would it be in a RTT?"
I said "it's going to be windy!"
Luckily the front seats in the Grenadier are comfortable , should we need to add some weight downstairs to stop the vehicle flipping over :D
I was talking to a guy in a caravan park recently who used to have a roof top tent.
On a very cold morning he climbed out and found the rungs on his ladder were covered in ice.
He slipped, fractured his hip and broke his collarbone and arm.
18 months to recover.
No more roof top tents for him and he had been using the one on that vehicle for 20 years.
Never a problem before.
I suppose getting older takes it's toll.

Reactions: Max

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I too belong to the old codger/footloose owner section and yes I've been considering the roof tent etc while not having worked out yet where to go. I'm thinking south to the Sahara or North to the arctic circle, probably the latter. It's a while, however since I've camped and I'm wondering just how comfortable you can make a roof tent or internal bed. I doubt if the latter would work with all the other gear we'll need. I'm not sure, however, what advantage a roof tent would have over a conventional tent. The hardest bit is the "why?" given we're well enough off to pay for a hotel room. It didn't matter so much when we were first married and managed to sleep in our Triumph Spitfire - once. Ever tried sleeping in a Triumph Spitfire? I reckon we'll just throw a two-man tent in the back with the hiking boots, ruck sacks, sleeping bags, little stove, a few cooking utensils. There's no need to take the kitchen sink.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am very much a "tent on the ground" person; for many reasons, including those below, but also because I tend to stay in only one or two locations on each trip and use that as a "base camp" from which to go out each day, then the main advantage of a RTT is not an advantage for me . Even so, packing up a modern tent is quick & easy.

Modern tents, (at a medium to high price point) are:
Easy & quick for one person to erect & put away
Made of excellent waterproof materials
Lightweight
Modern design - strong & stable
Easy to attach annexes and other sections if required

If it's just you & wife/partner - then spend GBP 500-600 and buy a quality 4/5 person tent with annex, XL single air mattresses, XL 3 season sleeping bags. You will have plenty of room.

However, if your mode of adventure is a new place every single night - a RTT rises in value

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am very much a "tent on the ground" person; for many reasons, including those below, but also because I tend to stay in only one or two locations on each trip and use that as a "base camp" from which to go out each day, then the main advantage of a RTT is not an advantage for me . Even so, packing up a modern tent is quick & easy.

Modern tents, (at a medium to high price point) are:
Easy & quick for one person to erect & put away
Made of excellent waterproof materials
Lightweight
Modern design - strong & stable
Easy to attach annexes and other sections if required

If it's just you & wife/partner - then spend GBP 500-600 and buy a quality 4/5 person tent with annex, XL single air mattresses, XL 3 season sleeping bags. You will have plenty of room.

However, if your mode of adventure is a new place every single night - a RTT rises in value
No RTT for me.
Interestingly I’m starting to use my 2 man Mont hiking tent more often on weekend trips more so than my swag of late, particularly if the weather looks like it could get ordinary, although I do like the swag on a stretcher. The tent is a bit easier to get changed in etc if I’m in an area that has a lot more people about.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
I too belong to the old codger/footloose owner section and yes I've been considering the roof tent etc while not having worked out yet where to go. I'm thinking south to the Sahara or North to the arctic circle, probably the latter. It's a while, however since I've camped and I'm wondering just how comfortable you can make a roof tent or internal bed. I doubt if the latter would work with all the other gear we'll need. I'm not sure, however, what advantage a roof tent would have over a conventional tent. The hardest bit is the "why?" given we're well enough off to pay for a hotel room. It didn't matter so much when we were first married and managed to sleep in our Triumph Spitfire - once. Ever tried sleeping in a Triumph Spitfire? I reckon we'll just throw a two-man tent in the back with the hiking boots, ruck sacks, sleeping bags, little stove, a few cooking utensils. There's no need to take the kitchen sink.
Everything to do with camping (overlanding)is a compromise, but I can say that RTTing is not for the middle aged. There are better options IMO. Personally I use a swag and stretcher, I've even used a diesel heater to keep it warm. And insulation properties of both are about the same plus you have more flexibility with a swag as you don't have to find a level.place to park every night.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
1. "Old age is not for wimps" - said my old man
2. When people say "He had a fall" instead of "he fell over" , you know he's approaching sundown
When you are young, falling is usually jumping and missing...when you are older, falling usually means something is missing...ok a handrail

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When you are young, falling is usually jumping and missing...when you are older, falling usually means something is missing...ok a handrail
I notice after years of playing squash, karate, Aikido and jiu jitsu (Japanese) that my body is well and truly feeling it.
However I am still fairly flexible and agile.
Not to mention fairly ambidextrous
Both my knees are now titanium, polymer & stainless steel however.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I notice after years of playing squash, karate, Aikido and jiu jitsu (Japanese) that my body is well and truly feeling it.
ah! showing your true mettle! ;) :devilish:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
Your mention of sleeping in a Triumph Spitfire brought me all the way back to 1979 when three of us slept in my Triumph TR6 so we could spend our military subsistence allowance on beer. The guy who slept in the back was on a parcel shelf. Not even a rear seat in that vehicle.
As for camping in the Grenadier. Not sure if I am past that, but definitely keen on some form of expedition driving, preferably in a group as I would be new to that type of holiday.

• Love

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
You know you're getting old when left and right are replaced with good and bad 😆

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-10-03 164738.png

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Your mention of sleeping in a Triumph Spitfire brought me all the way back to 1979 when three of us slept in my Triumph TR6 so we could spend our military subsistence allowance on beer. The guy who slept in the back was on a parcel shelf. Not even a rear seat in that vehicle.
As for camping in the Grenadier. Not sure if I am past that, but definitely keen on some form of expedition driving, preferably in a group as I would be new to that type of holiday.
That's my idea too. I can now sleep in the car, the mattress is there and comfortable and the blackout for the windows is perfect. I tested it in the hunting area at the weekend. But it won't be a vacation with my wife. I would like to do a guided tour next year, if with my wife then sleep in hostels, if alone then in the car.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Everything to do with camping (overlanding)is a compromise, but I can say that RTTing is not for the middle aged. There are better options IMO. Personally I use a swag and stretcher, I've even used a diesel heater to keep it warm. And insulation properties of both are about the same plus you have more flexibility with a swag as you don't have to find a level.place to park every night.
Best of both worlds is RTT or swag - just choose the time and location to suit.
Our RTT has an annexe plus a self inflating mattress - more comfortable than the one supplied.
We are not people to stay parked up for more than a night or two.
Obviously when we exit middle age the van will allow more comfortable options .
We both plan to stay middle aged!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Best of both worlds is RTT or swag - just choose the time and location to suit.
Our RTT has an annexe plus a self inflating mattress - more comfortable than the one supplied.
We are not people to stay parked up for more than a night or two.
Obviously when we exit middle age the van will allow more comfortable options .
We both plan to stay middle aged!

My wife is 57, represented Australia at gymnastics, into yoga big time (currently in Thiruvananthapura doing it) but, will not sleep in a RTT - apparantly doesn't like the whole ladder thing

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
My wife is 57, represented Australia at gymnastics, into yoga big time (currently in Thiruvananthapura doing it) but, will not sleep in a RTT - apparantly doesn't like the whole ladder thing
maybe given her athletic ability she is after more of a challenge, try half a ladder

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Both my daughter and son were good on gymnastics and trampolining.
State champions and National success but not champions.
Best thing for children.
My son did a pommer routine followed by a handstand on a 10 metre high 300mm diameter pole at army recruitment.
Attracted the right attention.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
I'm still (a bit) undecided.

I've seen some interesting alternatives on YouTube and in this forum. When I tour with my wife we will mostly stay in B&Bs, hotels and the like so no RTT is required. But if you find a nice spot (you know, like in all those overlanding videos, where you hear the gentle sound of the sea at night and a friendly, light breeze caresses the tent, and your partner wakes you up at the most beautiful sunrise with hot Coffee ... 🥴), it would be a shame not to have had such a great experience because you ended up in the breakfast room of a B&B. 😭

But if you have to carry around an RTT for 20,000 kilometers to experience this unique, wonderful moment once in your life, then it's like playing the lottery for 50 years to win $100 at the end.

I am convinced that in such a tent you can relax wonderfully in the shade of a tree and the beach is only 100 meters away. But at the latest when you have to get rid of the daily morning shit, the romance is over.

Another disadvantage is the noise when driving - and the additional fuel consumption, not to mention the raised center of gravity.

If I/we were overlanders traveling to a continent lacking infrastructure and thus planning options, an RTT would certainly be of great help. But I'm afraid I've seen too many YT videos like this: Such equipment is almost never necessary when traveling through Europe, at least not if there are only two of you.

As a compromise and in case you simply have no other choice or just want to reminisce about past adventures or immerse yourself in nature as much as possible, a sleeping place inside the car seems to be the right choice.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm still (a bit) undecided.

I've seen some interesting alternatives on YouTube and in this forum. When I tour with my wife we will mostly stay in B&Bs, hotels and the like so no RTT is required. But if you find a nice spot (you know, like in all those overlanding videos, where you hear the gentle sound of the sea at night and a friendly, light breeze caresses the tent, and your partner wakes you up at the most beautiful sunrise with hot Coffee ... 🥴), it would be a shame not to have had such a great experience because you ended up in the breakfast room of a B&B. 😭

But if you have to carry around an RTT for 20,000 kilometers to experience this unique, wonderful moment once in your life, then it's like playing the lottery for 50 years to win $100 at the end.

I am convinced that in such a tent you can relax wonderfully in the shade of a tree and the beach is only 100 meters away. But at the latest when you have to get rid of the daily morning shit, the romance is over.

Another disadvantage is the noise when driving - and the additional fuel consumption, not to mention the raised center of gravity.

If I/we were overlanders traveling to a continent lacking infrastructure and thus planning options, an RTT would certainly be of great help. But I'm afraid I've seen too many YT videos like this: Such equipment is almost never necessary when traveling through Europe, at least not if there are only two of you.

As a compromise and in case you simply have no other choice or just want to reminisce about past adventures or immerse yourself in nature as much as possible, a sleeping place inside the car seems to be the right choice.
I think the key to that vision @emax is not the tent but the solitude, which might be the harder problem to solve in your neck of the woods. If one is going further afield, sleeping inside the vehicle - which makes perfect sense in your mild climate - can become stiflingly uncomfortable. The bit of breeze that can be caught once your off the ground a bit is appreciated.

The other consideration on longer journeys is intercultural encounter. We found staying in AirBnBs with host families produced better experiences than camping. It can be a small way to repay hospitality, or at least pass things forward in a way that acknowledges one’s good fortune in being able to wander off on such an expedition, particularly in places where the locals would dare to dream of such a trip. I’m thinking the Magreb, Central Asia, Middle/Near East all fit this category.

In outback Oz however could be a swag or RTT simply makes more sense than alternatives, they predominate for a reason.

What’s your typical camping experience? Do you have a favourite spot? What would work best there?

Back
Top Bottom