The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Water Separator Option

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:03 AM
Reaction score
Surprised to see this option appear. If it's a problem I would have thought it would have been standard fit!Engines.png

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Definitely if it needs it then it should be standard and even as an option why have they decided on that option now and not on models a few months back. Have there been problems already as a result of dirty fuel ?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score
Definitely if it needs it then it should be standard and even as an option why have they decided on that option now and not on models a few months back. Have there been problems already as a result of dirty fuel ?
It is I believe a standard inclusion on Australian models because there have been issues with water in diesel fuels in remote locations that 4wders like to go here. It’s not that this vehicle is more vulnerable than any others but all common rails diesels are vulnerable to damage from water in fuel. I think if you are only driving around Europe then you probably don’t need it. If you are overlanding in locations where there is lower quality fuel, or where diesel sits in tanks with low turnover for long periods then it’s not a bad insurance.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Surprised to see this option appear. If it's a problem I would have thought it would have been standard fit!View attachment 7821058
The Australian INEOS website has been changed to show this also, but it comes standard, so the price is $0.00.

The second fuel filter was requested by INEOS Australia. Mark the INEOS responsible for the ADR approval process confirmed it with me at Purnell Adventure when we had a chat. IA had to convince BMW it would not adversely impact the motor, which they did.

Local time
Reaction score
Seems available on UK website too would like a petrol filterter can it be retrofitted?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What I don’t understand is that with the petrol version which I have , i Was told by Ineos that I don’t need to take a replacement fuel filter for my travels as the fuel pump has a lifetime fit fuel filter. I asked what happens if that gets clogged and the answer was don’t put dirty fuel in there in the first place. What good would the second filter do even though it’s inline and accessible somewhere when the primary filter and fuel pump are inside the fuel tank. Surely it’s the first filter in the line that will get clogged first 🤔

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Australian INEOS website has been changed to show this also, but it comes standard, so the price is $0.00.

The second fuel filter was requested by INEOS Australia. Mark the INEOS responsible for the ADR approval process confirmed it with me at Purnell Adventure when we had a chat. IA had to convince BMW it would not adversely impact the motor, which they did.
@Logsplitter : "They" must have known about your intended travels: I am imagining the exasperated reaction of the BMW execs to the proposal of fitting a fuel filter to guard against contaminated fuel ..."You want your customers to be able to drive our engines WHERE???" 🫣 😂

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Logsplitter : "They" must have known about your intended travels: I am imagining the exasperated reaction of the BMW execs to the proposal of fitting a fuel filter to guard against contaminated fuel ..."You want your customers to be able to drive our engines WHERE???" 🫣 😂
Actually they had to convince BMW rather than INEOS head office.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:03 PM
Reaction score
What I don’t understand is that with the petrol version which I have , i Was told by Ineos that I don’t need to take a replacement fuel filter for my travels as the fuel pump has a lifetime fit fuel filter. I asked what happens if that gets clogged and the answer was don’t put dirty fuel in there in the first place. What good would the second filter do even though it’s inline and accessible somewhere when the primary filter and fuel pump are inside the fuel tank. Surely it’s the first filter in the line that will get clogged first 🤔
Good point, what would be logical then is that the lifetime filter is removed or that the “new” filter is installed “in front” of the lifetime filter. Does either of those things sound plausible/likely?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good point, what would be logical then is that the lifetime filter is removed or that the “new” filter is installed “in front” of the lifetime filter. Does either of those things sound plausible/likely?
No idea. A filter housed in the fuel tank along with pump is not very practical as would have to drop the tank to replace the filter I guess unless there is an easy access point.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I might be missing something here, but we have a picture of the fuel water separator (aka filter) on the diesel car from Australia. The first filter is located near the fuel tank on the passenger side wheel arch, see image here. The other fuel filter is under the bonnet (hood), so Iwas told.

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I might be missing something here, but we have a picture of the fuel water separator (aka filter) on the diesel car from Australia. The first filter is located near the fuel tank on the passenger side wheel arch, see image here. The other fuel filter is under the bonnet (hood), so Iwas told.
In my case I’m talking about the petrol engine Grenadier. And according to Ineos technician the fuel filter is lifetime fit fuel filter attached to the fuel pump which is inside the tank apparently so no chance of easily changing that if it gets clogged.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The image link is not working for me.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In my case I’m talking about the petrol engine Grenadier. And according to Ineos technician the fuel filter is lifetime fit fuel filter attached to the fuel pump which is inside the tank apparently so no chance of easily changing that if it gets clogged.
Just a guess, but if a filter is immersed in petrol, it might simply wash itself clean in the fuel, rather than clogging as an in-line filter can do. Obviously there’s eventually a limit, but petrol is a great cleaner, and quite a lot of detritus can accumulate and sludge around on the bottom of the fuel tank. Of course fuel is clean in most markets, but even so this might be very effective, as long as there’s nothing ‘waxy’ or gummy building up.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just a guess, but if a filter is immersed in petrol, it might simply wash itself clean in the fuel, rather than clogging as an in-line filter can do. Obviously there’s eventually a limit, but petrol is a great cleaner, and quite a lot of detritus can accumulate and sludge around on the bottom of the fuel tank. Of course fuel is clean in most markets, but even so this might be very effective, as long as there’s nothing ‘waxy’ or gummy building up.
I hope that’s the case. It just seems strange that you can option a separate filter now on the configurator.

Back
Top Bottom