The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Diesel water separator

Joergchm

Contract Signed
Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
Dear all,

I've just noticed that you can order now a diesel water separator during the configuration (under the engine selection as extra) :love:

PS: this is the case at least for the German configuration

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
Included as standard for Australian spec as I understand it

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Dear all,

I've just noticed that you can order now a diesel water separator during the configuration (under the engine selection as extra) :love:

PS: this is the case at least for the German configuration
I hope it will be easy to fit one to the vehicles already delivered. Although it’s not really from importance as long as I stay on Europe.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
More information on the Hengst oil/air separator here. A similar model in this video from Hengst here.
Different thing. That is the unit that separates oil from the crankcase ventilation gasses before it gets fed back into the intake. This thread was about the fuel water separator in the fuel line I believe

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am also interested in having a water separator. Has someone more info on it? It's said to be standard in Australian grenadiers. Is that true? Can someone down there have a look under his car please?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am also interested in having a water separator. Has someone more info on it? It's said to be standard in Australian grenadiers. Is that true? Can someone down there have a look under his car please?
It is standard for Australian all diesel models. Picture above is from an INEOS owned car in Sydney.

No more information than what is in this thread here, so far.

European volunteer needed to look under the rear left wheel of their diesel. My picture from a RHD car.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes all Australian specs get the diesel water separator as standard
1691003537311.png

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This Option is new on the Website. My dealer told me it is now available for 2024 Models. Alongside an built in inverter and some other things. He could not answer me if it is possible to retrofit the diesel filter with the water separator. Has anyone done it yet?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This Option is new on the Website. My dealer told me it is now available for 2024 Models. Alongside an built in inverter and some other things. He could not answer me if it is possible to retrofit the diesel filter with the water separator. Has anyone done it
You could retrofit it, if you have all the parts (not just the unit). I would only get an installer who knows what he is doing to do that. Lucky for us, all Australian Diesel models has it fitted as standard now.

If the separator has a zero price, it is a standard install, not an optional extra. So on Australian models it is a zero price option.

Last edited:

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I hope it will be easy to fit one to the vehicles already delivered. Although it’s not really from importance as long as I stay on Europe.

For non German speaking people...heavy rain let water flow into the Diesel tanks of a filling station....in Germany. Happens from time to time. That"s why I always keep the bill/receipt for a few weeks.

AWo

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

For non German speaking people...heavy rain let water flow into the Diesel tanks of a filling station....in Germany. Happens from time to time. That"s why I always keep the bill/receipt for a few weeks.

AWo
Poor quality diesel in Australia is the reason why we have it. Water in diesel storage tanks can be an issue.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I always use Fuel Doctors when remote, just in case.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I use a second Diesel filter with a coarser filter structure (Separ), but as a second water separator if the first one is overwhelmed. We installed it, when we first drove to North Africa with that car. Just for the reason to have a second water separator.

AWo

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
Planning to take the Grenadier to north Africa exactly where the diesel quality is the worst...View attachment 7829299
Be careful. I had had green sludge dripping out of my exhaust on my Defender 2.2tdci 4yrs ago. The Grenadier BMW. engine is designed for a max 50ppm sulphur. In Senegal Mauritania and Guinea over 500ppm you’ll clog the dpf, egr valve and burn injectors over long term. Unfortunately you can’t filter out sulphur
It’s ok if you’re passing through and get access to descent fuel further on
If you go to well known fuel branded stations you should be OK. Like Total.
Even in Western Sahara we got 500ppm as a last resort as other fuel stations out of of fuel.
You’ll be fine but be careful
👍🏼

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You mean fuel doctor is an alternative to a water seperator?
My old Nissan Patrol had the OEM fuel filter, I added a water in diesel alarm (called Water Watch) and also Fuel Doctors.

The alarm identified but did not filter water. It could detect low amounts of water and let you know, you then drained the glass bowl.

Back
Top Bottom