The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tring to become a brand new owner

Scsmith42

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
HELP! Tring to become a brand new owner, have Trialmaster picked out at the Boise dealership etc., but running into spousal person objections about the vehicle's suitability on the highway. This is based upon a throw-away line in a Car & Driver review that questioned whether it could be driven on the highway.

The other issue, and probably solvable is the difficulty of a short person to gain access to the rig. She is vertically challenged and doesn't think she can get into the vehicle, or drive it.

I will have her read this thread. Any other suggestions? TIA

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
HELP! Tring to become a brand new owner, have Trialmaster picked out at the Boise dealership etc., but running into spousal person objections about the vehicle's suitability on the highway. This is based upon a throw-away line in a Car & Driver review that questioned whether it could be driven on the highway.

The other issue, and probably solvable is the difficulty of a short person to gain access to the rig. She is vertically challenged and doesn't think she can get into the vehicle, or drive it.

Hi Scsmith42 - The Grenadier is more truck like than SUV. I say that coming from a New 2020 Land Rover Defender, which may be the ultimate SUV. The New Defender is super smooth around town and on the freeway and a pure pleasure to drive. It also has incredible performance too, (if you get the P400 engine with 395 horsepower).
I knew when I purchased the Grenadier I would have to make the adjustment and I can report that I have and love it. It is my daily driver and off road companion. Around town under 25 miles per hour you will feel the nooks and crannies in the road and have a larger turn radius. Once you get above 25 miles per hour it smooths out and drives great on the freeway. Sure you have a little play when going dead straight in the steering wheel, however it is not an issue once you get a few miles under you. I don't find the wind noise much different than the New Defender and can easily carry on a conversation and listen to music when going 75. Where it really shines is off road. It is eerily smooth and floats like butterfly over undulations and obstacles. In regards to vertically challenged, my wife Debbie is 4'11" and stings like a bee. I have the Grenadier side steps and she can get in and out of the Grenadier ok. I say ok, as anyone getting in and out of the Grenadier needs to simply take their time and not rush an entry or exit out of the vehicle. All and all I love this vehicle and smile every time I walk out and see it and take if for a drive. It is so much more capable then I am, that I am going to take some lessons on how to properly go off road and then begin exploring in my Grenadier. In life, opportunities like this only come around once, jump on in the waters fine. DaBull

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

Getting the side steps address the difficulty to getting in the car. Plus ppl who are vertically challenge love the command position and the feeling of safety

Driving on highway is fine. And if she is concern, than take it for a test drive. Have her watch Ben hardy youtube as he had his wife drive it and give feedback

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score

We have zero "stability" issues with our Grenadier, none. Ours drives perfect, so if you don't like the test drive, all I can say is test a different one! We added Buzz sliders with a built-in step and my wife loves them - makes entry/exit much easier and she praises them every time we head out.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Scsmith42. I originally bought the Grenadier for work and not for long distances. I thought that my Discovery 4 might be more suitable for this. A complete misjudgment. It's so much fun to drive that I prefer it even on long highway trips. I've already been to Cornwall twice. They were fatigue-free, almost non-stop journeys. I have the original Ineos sidesteps and am very happy with them. They are no problem even on my rutted forest roads. Hire a vehicle and find out for yourself. You will like it.

Scsmith42

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
Thank you all! I will advise how it goes but these replies are really helpful

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

My truck is as planted as anything I've owned (bar the Fit - it rides like it's on rails 🤣 ). Your better half has nothing whatsoever to worry about, it's as solid as anything. It is vulnerable to crosswinds, but every brick-shaped truck/van/SUV is too.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Realistically you are going to need the side runner for smaller drivers - it is a long way up to the sill.

The Grenadier makes a cracking daily driver, especially if the road is rough, (UK roads are cracking up), or the weather is terrible. (20,000+ miles, 12 months and 23 days later).

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Definitely agree with all comments above. Ours, in fact, is my wife’s daily driver around Phoenix metro.

She’s 5’4 and likes that she feels safe because the thing it is built like a tank, and also enjoys feeling like she’s sitting higher than other cars. As several others, we also came from a new defender, and are thoroughly enjoying the switch.

We added the side steps, and now she’s actually wanting to do the lift and larger tires…. (who am I to object 😉😁)

Rick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:17 PM
Reaction score

I have had mine for 8 months, done 30,000 kms, a lot of highway driving... and I love it! With a roofrack it can be a bit noisy, but otherwise it is awesome on-road. Excellent road handling too.
Regarding the height issue - you have to install side steps! even if you are not vertically challenged!!

João Trailmaster

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Any vehicle with a solid front axle is going to feel a tad ponderous on the highway. Jeeps. Heavy duty pickups. All of them. But it’s no big deal and you quickly adjust.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
but running into spousal person objections about the vehicle's suitability on the highway. This is based upon a throw-away line in a Car & Driver review that questioned whether it could be driven on the highway.
Can you quote what they said?
If your better half is concerned about overtaking , getting on the ramps etc , install a throttle controller.
The B58 engine is very responsive.

Back
Top Bottom