The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Washing the Grenadier

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
This is the largest vehicle I have owned and I am trying to figure out what most of you plan on doing for keeping the Grenny clean.

Normally I wash my cars by hand and there is no way my middle-aged short stature behind will be able to wash this with any level of detail. I know I could get a ppf wrap and not have to worry much.

There are a few different places that offer monthly, unlimited, or savings packs. Any suggestions on the best services to buy and which options to choose?

Scrub-A-Dub around me has the following prices for unlimited washes:
The Ultra Unlimited – $49.99/mo
Unlimited Ultra Washes – Our best wash includes our Express Wash, 2 Step Ultra Shine protectant with UV protection and High Tech Polymers for durability, Under Wash, Rust Inhibitor & Wheel brite. PLUS Tire Shine and Vision Clear! Regular price $25-$26

The Works Unlimited – $39.99/mo
Unlimited Works Washes – Works Wash includes our Express Wash, Simoniz DuraGlaze 2 step conditioner/sealant for shine and protection, Under Wash, Rust Inhibitor & Wheel brite. Regular price $20-$21

Super Choice Unlimited – $29.99/mo
Unlimited Super Choice Washes – Super Choice Wash includes our Express Wash & your choice of 2 – Simoniz Sealant, Under Wash, Wheel brite. Regular price $15-$16

Express Unlimited – $24.99/mo
Unlimited Express Washes – Our basic car wash. Clean Fast & Fun! Regular price $10-$11
I think it depends on how anal you are about a clean vehicle. First off, I personally would not use anything other than a touchless wash. Your Scrub A Dub choices didn't say. The next is that most automatic car washes don't do a great job actually getting your paint clean. Most just knock off the obvious stuff, but if you touch your paint, it still has grit all over it.

I use touchless washes as a pre-wash before I clean it at home when my vehicle is super dirty/muddy, etc...to knock off the big chunks and to keep it off my driveway. Seeing that you're in MA, salt is a definite reason to use an automatic wash during the winter/spring.

If you require a wash that actually gets your paint clean, I don't think there's any getting around hand washing. I bought a painters step ladder to get to the roof: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla...Capacity-Type-I-Duty-Rating-GLA-4XB/318771665
but if it's just for washing, something like this might be better: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla...tform-300-lbs-Load-Capacity-GLWP-47/305590237
Short of that, paying a pro to detail your ride a few times a year is the only other suggestion I have 🤷🏻‍♂️🤙🤙

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m torn…I prefer hand washing myself, not necessarily anal or OCD. the ladder may be an option and buying the under-carriage wash part. Going to check out a local place that hand washes and see about their pricing.

here’s their soft cloth wash:
Soft Cloth Combined With Touchless High Pressure (7:30 AM – 6:00 PM)

Ultra Platinum Plus ($22.00)

• Wash and Dry
  • Simonize Sealer Wax
  • Simonize Double Bond Polish Wax
  • Under Body Wash With Rust Inhibitor
  • Wheel Brighter
  • Tire Shine

Gold ($15.00)
  • Wash and Dry
  • Simonize Sealer Wax
  • Under Body Wash With Rust Inhibitor

Last edited:

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
My wife does the monthly w/ underbody blast and here in the salt belt it works wonders.
On days like today, your car looks like a glazed donut.
I’d be interested in hearing about water intrusion if anyone is using a touchless car wash
Is something like Salts Gone any good?
I purchased a Chemical Guys DIY ceramic coating kit, elbow grease not included. Got an adjustable platform from Lowes for reaching the roof safely.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:02 PM
Reaction score
Pressure washer from a distance with snowfoam to drag the chunky stuff off, then handwash and mist off the soap..
Being careful as mine has the Bushwrapz ppf , and you certainly don't pressure wash this.
Doesn't take long.
Rinsed the roof for the first time in 4 months by standing on the ladder and spare wheel , careful spray with pressure washer to remove dirt and sand. Including the roof rack cross rails.
And do the underneath as I hate mud obscuring parts that need inspecting from time to time.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Pressure washer from a distance with snowfoam to drag the chunky stuff off, then handwash and mist off the soap..
Being careful as mine has the Bushwrapz ppf , and you certainly don't pressure wash this.
Doesn't take long.
Rinsed the roof for the first time in 4 months by standing on the ladder and spare wheel , careful spray with pressure washer to remove dirt and sand. Including the roof rack cross rails.
And do the underneath as I hate mud obscuring parts that need inspecting from time to time.
Recently, as I was standing on the spare wheel washing my roof, I wondered if the spare wheel mount or door is designed to take another 80kg+ on top of the wheel weight? It is certainly a beefy structure inside the door but will standing on the spare wheel regularly cause mischief with the mount or door alignment?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Recently, as I was standing on the spare wheel washing my roof, I wondered if the spare wheel mount or door is designed to take another 80kg+ on top of the wheel weight? It is certainly a beefy structure inside the door but will standing on the spare wheel regularly cause mischief with the mount or door alignment?
I don't put my full weight on it and I'm not built like a rugby prop
Most weight is on the ladder.
I also have good balance , well famous last words - but if I fall the family can say "he died doing what he loved" :D

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My wife does the monthly w/ underbody blast and here in the salt belt it works wonders.
On days like today, your car looks like a glazed donut.
I’d be interested in hearing about water intrusion if anyone is using a touchless car wash
Enough about car-washing? Let’s hear more about this monthly underbody blast? Sounds exciting

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Enough about car-washing? Let’s hear more about this monthly underbody blast? Sounds exciting
She gets the unlimited wash package every month. It includes what they call underbody blast, which are spray nozzles that blast the bottom of the car.

I can’t say they would remove deeply embedded mud,But they definitely wash off the salt spray that coats the bottom of the car.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I am currently hosting an Austrian friend , He is a Volvo nut and has a 2009 500 000km vehicle with no rust. His new mechanic told him his odometer must be faulty; he could not believe the condition.
Anyway this friend told me he religiously (take that in the broad sense) washes the underside every 10 days once they start salting the roads.
And says they now use salt solution on the roads - impossible to avoid.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me, but I think he’s thinking of something completely different than what you guys are trying to explain…😂😂🤡🍌

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have not gone through an automatic yet but I had my ceramic coated. With ceramic coating the I buy the cheapest wash because really all you need just enough soap and the clean spot free rinse.

I have only had it for 6 weeks and just haven't had time to go to a car wash. My wifes vehicle is 2 months old and we haven't gone to the car wash yet.

On a related note, I hated taking my Defender through the wash because shifting from neutral to drive was a royal pain.

ATTENTION ALL! Please refer to page 159 of your manual or search for the section title Automatic Car Washes. IMPORTANT

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'd use the ladder.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The next is that most automatic car washes don't do a great job actually getting your paint clean. Most just knock off the obvious stuff, but if you touch your paint, it still has grit all over it.
I don't know about the car washes in your town, but in Houston, they definitely get the grit off. Its clean. My concern is the nook and crannies the Gren has.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just put it neutral and there was no problem. The auto start/stop shut down the engine and it restarted at the end when I put the truck in drive and drove out.
I don't plan on shutting it off and then entering accessory mode.

Back
Top Bottom