The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tyre inflator advice

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
Having bought what I thought would be a good quality 12v socket tyre inflator it has managed about 4 months of light use and given up. Any advice from you guys on a good one that works and more importantly LASTS. I will be using it on cars and a truck and hopefully a Grenadier later on in the year 

Cheers Shaky

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
I don't have one, but ARB has a good reputation. They are however not exactly bargains.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Emax, whilst I am a big believer in “you get what you pay for”, like you allude to they are on the higher side of way too expensive. I just want something that is capable of blowing up a tyre and not giving up the ghost which a lot of the offerings not capable of. 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A general advice: look for the weight. As a rule of thumb I'd dare say: The heavier the more durable.

Short story: in the eighties, I wanted to buy a CD-player. But I haden't any clue how to select. So I walked through the shelves and weighed every model in my hands. Finally I bought the heaviest one, not knowing what I had bought.

Some years later it turned out, that this was the best CD-player on the market, it was an Onkyo. The weight came from the toroidal transformer inside - something which one hardly finds in consumer electronics at the low end. In that time I had never heard about Onkyo, but I picked the best player just because I believe in the rule that heavier components are statistically better than light ones.  ;-)

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
emax said:
In German 4x4 forums they often point to this one, but I can personally not give any assessment:

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/t-max-12v-air-compressor-heavy-duty-portable-tyre-inflator-adventurer/

I bought the like compressor about 10 years ago and it still works. Use it to inflate the tires on my Defender ocassionally or on the garden tractor. Comes with all the equipment you need and is good value for the money.If you need a compressor in the desert where tires are de- and inflated more often I would recommend a real heavy duty one with a reservoir and fixed installation on the car.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Cheers guys. I will look at the oneEmax has suggested. I don’t need one fixed such as an ARB but do agree that would be the best way to go for regular deflation of tyres etc.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
I would recommend the Viaair 425. It’s a really good compressor that my friend has hard mounted in his vehicle and it performs very well. If budget no bar then extreme air seems to have a very good reputation. But no first hand experience there. 
What I like about ARB products is the warranty. If it goes bad they will replace it no questions asked. 
Also I do recommend, if hard mounting, to add a tank. The utility goes up and compressor load goes down. 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
If you are a good craftsman, a modified one way camping gas cartidge should work. it is light and can AFAIK stand 15 bars.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Cheers guys. I can mount one unfortunately as it has to service up to four vehicles. I think the £250 mark is the absolute max I would go for. Some of these things you pay £100 for are no better than the £15 specials you get from Aldi or another cheapo supermarket. That’s why I want to pay the extra and have confidence in the thing and know it won’t fry it’s guts after topping up a couple of tyres.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
@Shaky I think you could explore building one yourself with some really good quality components and mount them in a pelican case. With careful arrangement you could have a killer rubber mounted damped system with a Viaair (or similar quality) compressor, 12V and Anderson plug inputs, a small 1-2 liter air tank and a 2 way or 4 way bi-directional hose..all contained in a nice portable case.

Something like this:  https://masterflowair.com/products/air-armor-m240

eddyoz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
Which ever compressor you decide on,make sure it has decent wiring and direct connection or Anderson type plugs to the battery ie not cigarette lighter.Heavy duty compressor draw a lot of current so keep vehicle motor running.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Some great advice and I may even look at mounting one in a peli case, especially as I have one knocking about.  Good luck to everyone who is able to order tomorrow. I will be gleefully handing over my £2k ? 

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
I carry one of the ARB portable units which comes in a tackle box which handily also fits a deflation device and tyre repair kit.  This served well for a global trip however as blueTDI mentioned for remote areas/arid climate/convoys/larger tyres one would probably want the twin compressor + tank version. Expensive maybe but I've got a decade of use out of mine and it was second-hand (though shop-fresh) when purchased.

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
I have also used the ARB unit for well over 15 years now and I can not fault it.
It gets worked hard in hot dusty conditions and never missed a beat. Unlike most units that are throwaway the ARB is serviceable.
The only bad thing I can say about them is that in hot northern Australian conditions I find I need to replace the air line hose every 4-5 years.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I am going to bump this thread, as the other half has just blown up my little Ring pump that had the breaking strain of a kitkat.

So now there are more of us on the forum can the hive mind come up with a decent inflator.

Please don’t say an ARB bolting into the vehicle, as I won’t be spending that much and I need it for several vehicles including the IG.

I seem to remember Logsplitter mentioning a Tmax one on a thread last year. I am thinking up to about £150 maximum.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have been using a Ring rac 830 for a few years on lots of trucks. Very good and under £70.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am going to bump this thread, as the other half has just blown up my little Ring pump that had the breaking strain of a kitkat.

So now there are more of us on the forum can the hive mind come up with a decent inflator.

Please don’t say an ARB bolting into the vehicle, as I won’t be spending that much and I need it for several vehicles including the IG.

I seem to remember Logsplitter mentioning a Tmax one on a thread last year. I am thinking up to about £150 maximum.
I had this problem with "Ring type" 12v inflators burning out when doing my trailer tyres that are 95psi. The cheapest way round I found for home type use on very flat tyres is; a cheap Ring type to take the pressure up to circa 40psi and then a cheap foot pump to take it to the higher pressure.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Yes the Tmax has done me proud and good value and quite capable of putting a tyre back on the bead with right technique. In fact I’ve just attached a longer lead with crocodile clips so I can connect under the Grenadier bonnet. For the Defender I had Anderson connectors.

Back
Top Bottom