The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tyre inflator advice

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
I am going to bump this thread, as the other half has just blown up my little Ring pump that had the breaking strain of a kitkat.

So now there are more of us on the forum can the hive mind come up with a decent inflator.

Please don’t say an ARB bolting into the vehicle, as I won’t be spending that much and I need it for several vehicles including the IG.

I seem to remember Logsplitter mentioning a Tmax one on a thread last year. I am thinking up to about £150 maximum.
I've got two Ring compressors. A standard cigarette lighter one for cars and this heavier duty truck one for the 4x4's;

The difference is night and day. Any compressor for a truck needs to connect directly to the battery in my book.

Never had trouble with either.

Will buy a better version for the Gren when it arrives so can inflate/deflate the 4 tyres simultaneously as it's a bit of a pain airing up/down multiple times a week.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
I've got two Ring compressors. A standard cigarette lighter one for cars and this heavier duty truck one for the 4x4's;

The difference is night and day. Any compressor for a truck needs to connect directly to the battery in my book.

Never had trouble with either.

Will buy a better version for the Gren when it arrives so can inflate/deflate the 4 tyres simultaneously as it's a bit of a pain airing up/down multiple times a week.

This interests me tbh, I know that for the extra money I should probably go for the Tmax as Logsplitter recommends but they are bulky and heavy for the odd occasion I need one.

I know you are right that they should be connected to the battery for anything more than a car tyre. In fact the Mrs just blew up my ring 1000 pumping up a flat Corsa tyre ffs. However I know if I get a battery one then she won’t be able to use it, way out of her remit connecting to the battery.

But interesting what you say about night and day. The one you have is half the cost and is one I would have discounted as a cheap imitation. I am thinking now of getting two. A little one with a fag lighter socket for her and something like this for the trucks. That or she can use mine or the foot pump.

In fact if she can’t use the battery one she can use the foot pump, keep her in shape at the same time 😆

Keep the suggestions coming if anyone has a model they swear by, especially if it cost £20 off eBay and is indestructible (I wish)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This interests me tbh, I know that for the extra money I should probably go for the Tmax as Logsplitter recommends but they are bulky and heavy for the odd occasion I need one.

I know you are right that they should be connected to the battery for anything more than a car tyre. In fact the Mrs just blew up my ring 1000 pumping up a flat Corsa tyre ffs. However I know if I get a battery one then she won’t be able to use it, way out of her remit connecting to the battery.

But interesting what you say about night and day. The one you have is half the cost and is one I would have discounted as a cheap imitation. I am thinking now of getting two. A little one with a fag lighter socket for her and something like this for the trucks. That or she can use mine or the foot pump.

In fact if she can’t use the battery one she can use the foot pump, keep her in shape at the same time 😆

Keep the suggestions coming if anyone has a model they swear by, especially if it cost £20 off eBay and is indestructible (I wish)
also handy to have a spare/old car battery kept on trickle charge in the shed. smaller one for the missus or larger for you to use. then do not need to faff around turning engine on, lifting rear seats to access battery etc etc. I find an old (and knackered) battery can inflate all four truck tyres from 18psi upto 33/36psi before conks out and needs another charge.

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Would you flip the rear bench seat and connect the compressor to the battery terminals in there ? Or is it recommended to connect under the bonnet ?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is my set up and I can do two Trucks and the caravan on the 10 amp battery. Works well but have not tried it yet on an anything less than 15 psi. Will of course plug into the cigarette lighter to work off the car battery, as I did last week when I got it.

Attachments

• IMG_6123.jpeg
    IMG_6123.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
also handy to have a spare/old car battery kept on trickle charge in the shed. smaller one for the missus or larger for you to use. then do not need to faff around turning engine on, lifting rear seats to access battery etc etc. I find an old (and knackered) battery can inflate all four truck tyres from 18psi upto 33/36psi before conks out and needs another charge.

Funnily enough I have an old conked out 4x4 battery in the shed, it was a good battery until guess who got her hands on it. No it’s SNAFU. Always get the same comment “ I’ll pay for a replacement”, never got anything yet. She always uses my stuff and gives it back knackered. Suppose it saves a mate or neighbour doing the same !!!

Still deciding what to go for, I just don’t want a huge lump stuck in the boot of the car or the IG.

I don’t have to regularly air down and back up, so it’s just for semi occassional use. That said the last couple of years I seem to just end up pumping tyres up. I do not exaggerate when I say I have had more problems in the last two years than I have in the other 35 years. Todays roads and living in a rural area I suppose

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
I am going to bump this thread, as the other half has just blown up my little Ring pump that had the breaking strain of a kitkat.

So now there are more of us on the forum can the hive mind come up with a decent inflator.

Please don’t say an ARB bolting into the vehicle, as I won’t be spending that much and I need it for several vehicles including the IG.

I seem to remember Logsplitter mentioning a Tmax one on a thread last year. I am thinking up to about £150 maximum.
The TMax works fine for me as well. I have it connected with a NATO plug which in the Defender is connected directly to the battery. In the Grenadier I will use the NATO plug at the back.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Having bought what I thought would be a good quality 12v socket tyre inflator it has managed about 4 months of light use and given up. Any advice from you guys on a good one that works and more importantly LASTS. I will be using it on cars and a truck and hopefully a Grenadier later on in the year

Cheers Shaky
I think it all starts on matching the duty cycle of the bit of kit and the duty cycle you need or want.

Then look at the quality/price.

It's no good buying a bit of kit that can only run for 5 minutes before needing a 5 minute rest if you are looking to air up 4 large 4x4 tyres from 15psi to road pressures.

However, if you're only going to be using it to check and adjust pressures on a daily/weekly basis, and maybe change pressures due to running with more passengers or a loaded boot then a 5min on/5min off duty cycle one will probably cut the mustard.

For the latter, I'm pretty pleased with this. Does all the above, trailer tyres and other bits and bobs pretty effortlessly; and seems to be very economical with the battery.

WP_20230514_025.jpg

And as per the tool kit thread ~ it's a Makita, so what's not to like. 😁

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have bought right in the first place back in the late 1990’s, when I bought a Thomas bullet brand (rebranded to Bluetongue Mrk3 Opposite Lock - an Aussie 4wd retailer) which was rated for continuous use. Cost be $3-400 back then. Since then there have been lots of compressors that are now faster, but I have inflated circa 20 4wd tyres in a single sitting and it just keeps on going.

So my recommendation- do your research and buy once but buy right.

IMG_3546.jpeg

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have an ARB one that has done about 15 years of solid service. Sometimes cheaper Is really a false economy.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Is this the DMP180 or the DMP181?

The 180 has a 5m/5m (50%) duty cycle whilst the 181 has 10m/5m (67%). Since I only have a big stationary 2 cylinder compressor, I have no idea how long it takes for such a small device to bring a BFG from e.g. 1 bar to 3 bar.

Any idea or experiences?

I am really considering this as a travel item. Light, reliable (I guess, it's Makita, finally 😁), and up to 11 bar - and around just 100€. A break of an hour to inflate four BFGs to tarmac conditions is not exaclty what I'm looking for.

The 18V thing is not a problem as I'd modify an EOL*) Makita battery to a boost converter (old battery cells out, converter in) to be a 12V->18V adapter to run it from the car battery.

*) For @Jean Mercier: EOL = End Of Life

Last edited:
Reactions: PBD

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t know if there is a duty cycle on my Tmax as just seems to inflate large tyres one after the other effortlessly it does get hot though as do most IMG_2308.jpeg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My last purchase was a relatively cheap 300LPM dual cylinder compressor.
It didn't have a pressure switch so I bought one , plumbed and wired it in and altered the valve end of the hose so it basically operates like the ones at any service station. Plenty of grunt and it hasn't given me cause for concern.
Not sure where I'll keep it in the Gren at this stage.
The small ones will let you down sooner...or later , at a time you don't want it to.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t know if there is a duty cycle on my Tmax as just seems to inflate large tyres one after the other effortlessly it does get hot though as do most View attachment 7811953
Interesting about the compressor getting hot.

I was only told a few years ago to always run your compressor with the car engine running. I never or rarely did previously.

Using with the motor running stops the compressor from getting really hot.

This might be common knowledge, but only recent for me.

Reactions: PBD

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting about the compressor getting hot.

I was only told a few years ago to always run your compressor with the car engine running. I never or rarely did previously.

Using with the motor running stops the compressor from getting really hot.

This might be common knowledge, but only recent for me.
I haven’t heard that before and can’t get my head around what difference it would make to the compressor getting hot 🤔 but I suppose as the battery voltage drops the amp draw would go up I always use the compressor with the engine running as it draws quite a bit of current 45A max but still does get hot after pumping up 4 tyres.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The compressor get hot, because compressed air goes hot. Additional to the warming up of the electrical engine, the compressed air warm up the device too. After 4 tires more than after fill up 1 bar/1 tire.
At cement silo transporter, the uncooled compressor „produce“ hot air > 200 Degree Celsius .

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The compressor get hot, because compressed air goes hot. Additional to the warming up of the electrical engine, the compressed air warm up the device too. After 4 tires more than after fill up 1 bar/1 tire.
At cement silo transporter, the uncooled compressor „produce“ hot air > 200 Degree Celsius .
👍🏼 I understand the compressor getting hot but can’t understand it getting hot if you haven't got the engine switched on as per @bigleonski post above 🤔

Back
Top Bottom