The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tyre inflator advice

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Is this the DMP180 or the DMP181?

The 180 has a 5m/5m (50%) duty cycle whilst the 181 has 10m/5m (67%). Since I only have a big stationary 2 cylinder compressor, I have no idea how long it takes for such a small device to bring a BFG from e.g. 1 bar to 3 bar.

Any idea or experiences?

I am really considering this as a travel item. Light, reliable (I guess, it's Makita, finally 😁), and up to 11 bar - and around just 100€. A break of an hour to inflate four BFGs to tarmac conditions is not exaclty what I'm looking for.
I don't recall the model number, but it's definitely 5m/5m duty cycle, so it must be the 180. I don't think the other one was out when I bought it.

Edit: Found another photo:
WP_20230514_024.jpg

Don't do bar, so that's 14.5038 psi to 43.5114 psi. If it's of genuine rather than passing interest, I'll take a measurement; but like I said before old Defender tyres up and down for load, etc it has handled fine.

Don't think I paid more than £50 for mine.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Maybe it's worth a try. I'll think about it.

However, the TMax and other units quote 160 to 300 l/min, while the Makita manages about 22 l/min. That's a whole different world.

But nowhere on any of them is written at what pressure ...

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@DCPU

I found a channel where the DMP181 is demonstrated and some comparisons with the DMP180 are made. It seems he has this thing as a travel item in his car ....

Though the channel is in German (Berlin dialect ...), the translator German-English does quite well.

This guy is not only a Makita lunatic (dozens of Makita videos), he is as well a DIY man from the top of his head to the tip of his toe. And he has to be, because the channel name suggests his second disease as well: The channel is named "Defender James".

Perhaps this (and may be other videos from him) is for you.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4iEEAAx1X8

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
And I've finally found a spec sheet which clarifies the 22L/min question: The DMP181 (the latest version of the 18V inflator) delivers 22L/min @29 PSI and still 11L @ 101 PSI.

Screenshot_20230515_211456.jpg

I think, I'll have a new member in my Makita family. :)

In case that I'm not happy with it for the Grenadier, it will still be a good buy since I usually have to use a 15 m extension tube to maintain our cars and my motorcycles tire pressure since my workshop is on the backside of our house and no way to drive a car there and a bit cumbersome for a motorcycle.

What I like: there is no need to carry an extension tube in the car. With a battery connected you can easily carry it to the tire instead. And if I build a boost converter as written above it only takes a comparably thin and light cable which does not occupy as much space as the air tube. It can be connected to the battery under the seats from where I have a small distance to each tire.

A very compact and as well light solution, I think: just 3 Kg.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We'll have to have a tyre inflation shootout when you get it. 👍

No doubt, the spec for the 181 says it should win, but the comparison will be interesting to compare. Seeing them next to each other, the 181 is significantly larger.

Tools & Stuff is one of my regular channels ~ watching him has cost me a fortune, but conversely has also saved me quite a bit.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but guess it fits in the 'air blowing/inflating' avenue.

Anyone used the Makita DAS180 dustblower? 18v version not the 40v as all my Makita tools are 18v presently.

Could do with a handy blower - oo-er. It's presently around £130 sans battery. Thought I'd ask some fellow Makita fans before purchasing.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but guess it fits in the 'air blowing/inflating' avenue.

Anyone used the Makita DAS180 dustblower? 18v version not the 40v as all my Makita tools are 18v presently.

Could do with a handy blower - oo-er. It's presently around £130 sans battery. Thought I'd ask some fellow Makita fans before purchasing.
This is on my Makita list. It seems to be a good idea, just a little spendy when I compare it to a range of B&M paint brushes that do the same for me currently and cost £1.99.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I've got my Makita DMP181 tire inflator. No need to show photos here, mine looks the same like the ones on the web.

Light and compact. Easy to use, no manual needed. Makita like quality.

For the ones which are looking for a blower, somebody here has pimped his DMP181 to use it as a blower. There are more such solutions to find on youtube, e.g. with an old fire extinguisher, propane bottle and the like - for more volume.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iqp_zyYuzY

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I will test it on the most important test object: my Grenadier. :cool:

My agent "assumes" that the documents will arrive next week ... :oops:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well used mine it to check the tyre pressure in the spare as there's not clearance to get my normal gauge in there - and bumped the pressure up to 49psi as per handbook recommendation. Worked a treat:

WP_20230518_010.jpg

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
Having watched the YouTube difference the size difference between the 180 and the 181 is quite large and so is the performance.

The RAC900 is looking like a nice compromise to me and should last me for what I want to do with it.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
Well used mine it to check the tyre pressure in the spare as there's not clearance to get my normal gauge in there - and bumped the pressure up to 49psi as per handbook recommendation. Worked a treat:

View attachment 7812413
Looks like you need spikes on your tyres to stop the local wildlife from dumping on it.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Parking under trees is never a good idea; but I've had a demented female chaffinch trying to feed her reflection in the glass and mirrors for a couple of days.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is on my Makita list. It seems to be a good idea, just a little spendy when I compare it to a range of B&M paint brushes that do the same for me currently and cost £1.99.
bugger, I'm a Makita addict. My name is ECrider and I haven't bought a Makita product in 48hrs.....

Attachments

• IMG_9193.jpeg
    IMG_9193.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 17

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Expecting a small report now, with copious photos, and a special section on it's uses around a Grenadier...

Back
Top Bottom