The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Twitter Hard Way Home

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
In the past several years there have been a few people taken by crocodiles. Crocs can be patient... they stalk their prey and watch...and wait...those who were taken were without exception "careless": wading in shallow water close to known croc habitats; another, following a couple of New Year's Eve drinks jumped overboard from their yacht for a midnight swim .... .
Two years ago a family friend of daughter in Cairns spent a few days golfing at Port Douglas. Coming from inner city Sydney...he was quite vocal that the signs warning guests to walk only on the paths and stay in well lit areas after dark were there to create a false sense of excitement for the tourists. About the second evening he was sitting next to the glass wall in the elevated restaurant when one of the staff casually pointed to a 12 foot croc slowly making its way across the lawns (about 30m away) from the creek towards the fairway.... He was quiet for a day or so :ROFLMAO:

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
I know, the FCO, like many of its counterparts across the world are overly cautious. Same in Germany and France. However, if you look at the "official" Swiss information, you get a better picture. The Irish Dept. of Foreign Affairs is not bad either in that respect.

What I never understood though, is the fascination of the Brits with Mauritania. Almost everyone interested in the Sahara was always enquiring about it. On the continent, no one is really keen on Mauritania when it comes to the Sahara.

Haven't managed to figure out, where that fascination comes from, maybe you can enlighten me ?
There’s a question. 🤔
Well my first impressions during my U.K. to Cape Town in 1995 was what a s—t hole! All I could remember was camels, flies, smelly fishing towns , burnt out cars, sand and rocks. Not too appealing to the average punter. If you want the safe quick route to Senegal from Western Sahara then stick to the coast road. Boring as and nothing to see much. And the second half of the road from Nouakchott to Senegal is shocking. A tarred very pot holed road worse than most dirt roads. However venture inland either on the Iron ore train or by vehicle to Atar then on to Chinguetti and this is where it starts getting interesting. Not much tourism but really interesting and quite an adventure dealing with roads.
Some lovely little Oasis to stay at and police/army super friendly and helpful. We are into our birds and wildlife so Banc d’Arguin National Park and Diawling national park on the border with Senegal are great for bird life although not much visited.
I suppose another reason is that it is on the route of so many overlanders and travellers who drive straight through to get to Senegal,Gambia and beyond. It’s a shame In my view to drive straight through this desperately poor country and not visit the few highlights they have. Super friendly and desperate for tourism .
Sorry to go on about it and maybe I should have private messaged. 85B54940-1909-4789-8FFE-8B9DFC0FADC7.jpeg25F1CEBE-598E-4AEF-814A-6B57914561AD.jpegA6001CD1-A760-4FEC-9DD0-BFD9226ECE77.jpegDFFB7B7E-63AE-482C-A3EF-3CBD5434F61A.jpeg2A2095E1-EBE3-4847-9D67-F4094A149EF1.jpeg
Here’s a few photos as an appetiser

Attachments

• 996968F5-2882-4FB5-872B-A5E2CA23B184.jpeg
    996968F5-2882-4FB5-872B-A5E2CA23B184.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There’s a question. 🤔
Well my first impressions during my U.K. to Cape Town in 1995 was what a s—t hole! All I could remember was camels, flies, smelly fishing towns , burnt out cars, sand and rocks. Not too appealing to the average punter. If you want the safe quick route to Senegal from Western Sahara then stick to the coast road. Boring as and nothing to see much. And the second half of the road from Nouakchott to Senegal is shocking. A tarred very pot holed road worse than most dirt roads. However venture inland either on the Iron ore train or by vehicle to Atar then on to Chinguetti and this is where it starts getting interesting. Not much tourism but really interesting and quite an adventure dealing with roads.
Some lovely little Oasis to stay at and police/army super friendly and helpful. We are into our birds and wildlife so Banc d’Arguin National Park and Diawling national park on the border with Senegal are great for bird life although not much visited.
I suppose another reason is that it is on the route of so many overlanders and travellers who drive straight through to get to Senegal,Gambia and beyond. It’s a shame In my view to drive straight through this desperately poor country and not visit the few highlights they have. Super friendly and desperate for tourism .
Sorry to go on about it and maybe I should have private messaged. View attachment 7801532View attachment 7801531View attachment 7801529View attachment 7801528View attachment 7801527
Great photos. Tks for posting 👍

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe we need a different thread for interesting travel destinations as I’m aware lots of people have been to interesting places and I don’t want to hijack this thread any more .I think between us all we can help each other get to some interesting places in our Grenadiers. Food for thought 👍🏼

Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
There’s a question. 🤔
Sorry to go on about it and maybe I should have private messaged. View attachment 7801532View attachment 7801531View attachment 7801529View attachment 7801528View attachment 7801527

Oh, absolutely not, great pics..wanting to go now..:))..

You are probably right, it's got to do with the old overlander´s route South from the UK . For continental folk, it was always more convenient to set off from Genoa or Marseille across TUN-ALG and further on..more spectacular too.

Local time
Reaction score
Maybe we need a different thread for interesting travel destinations as I’m aware lots of people have been to interesting places and I don’t want to hijack this thread any more .I think between us all we can help each other get to some interesting places in our Grenadiers. Food for thought 👍🏼

Also, all that technical stuff would be good if somehow grouped in an archive. A lot of valuable information will get lost or untraceable, otherwise.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also, all that technical stuff would be good if somehow grouped in an archive. A lot of valuable information will get lost or untraceable, otherwise.
Ok let’s think of a thread name. I struggle to initiate a new thread I’ve only done it a couple of times and takes me ages to work out the process.

Local time
Reaction score
Dunno, Travel Abroad or Travel Africa or The Overland Thread or Overlanding..but that´s probably too general ?

RoadBuilder

Reservation Holder
Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
"On the Road" ?

From Wikipedia:
"On the Road is a 1957 novel by American writer Jack Kerouac, based on the travels of Kerouac and his friends across the United States"
This was my birthyear, very good year ;)
Fantastic book by the way!
Kerouac coined the phrase, “Beat Generation.” He was part of a literary subculture that became known as the “Beatniks.” I have heard that the “Beatles“ derived their name from this. Our British friends on the forum who were around during the “British Invasion” may know more.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
Ok let’s think of a thread name. I struggle to initiate a new thread I’ve only done it a couple of times and takes me ages to work out the process.
The reality is we’d really need a technical and travel forum section for individual posts, otherwise all the good stuff gets lost amongst itself.

Local time
Reaction score
The reality is we’d really need a technical and travel forum section for individual posts, otherwise all the good stuff gets lost amongst itself.
Ts´it..plenty of stuff is already tucked away in various threads..a searchable archive rather than 200 posts in one thread.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
There’s a question. 🤔
What is the antiquarian showing you there? A codex?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"On the Road" ?

From Wikipedia:
"On the Road is a 1957 novel by American writer Jack Kerouac, based on the travels of Kerouac and his friends across the United States"
This was my birthyear, very good year ;)
Fantastic book by the way!
“There was nowhere to go but everywhere.”
Along with Seven Pillars of Wisdom an early inspiration for lifelong wanderlust.

Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
Totally uninterested in this marketing bull! Be more amicable if there were real cars out there!
Agree totally! sick of smoke and mirrors marketing... look over here please...., because over here were not doing what we said we would do!!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Grenadier travel inspiration 🤔
The other thing we should do is have a Forum hashtag/integration on Instagram. @Stu_Barnes is there any cross-platform functionality? Could the forum hoover up Insta posts tagged accordingly? Do we already have a tag?

Back
Top Bottom