The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

INEOS Media Twitter Hard Way Home

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
No way

No way Rose, they wouldn’t be traveling across Mali, Niger, Algeria..although spectacular, way too dangerous, with tricky logistics for the unassuming. The only country that is feasible is Morocco, unless they’re staying in Europe..
Mauritania is a great destination and safe too. Many Overlanders go there. Also the countries to the west and south of there. Too many scare stories, although I do agree about Mali, Burkina Faso etc. at the moment. Senegal, Guinea etc are fine. If it calms down then Mali is an interesting country. Been there in the past and the mud mosque in Djenne is must along with the Bandiagara escarpment.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
Me too-:))..quite an elusive destination..another good starting point would be the festival du Niger in Segou..amazing display of Saharan art and music..let’s keep dreaming, maybe one day..
Is that the festival Ry Cooder was involved with? That must be great, been listening to those Desert Blues compilations for 20 years+.
Algerian Sahara was a no-travel when I was there last (2005), is that route open or would you go through Western Sahara (is it still sketchy?)?
I’m presuming a corporate is going to be pretty risk averse - they just want some good photo ops after all - not an actual adventure.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Mauritania is a great destination and safe too. Many Overlanders go there. Also the countries to the west and south of there. Too many scare stories, although I do agree about Mali, Burkina Faso etc. at the moment. Senegal, Guinea etc are fine. If it calms down then Mali is an interesting country. Been there in the past and the mud mosque in Djenne is must along with the Bandiagara escarpment.
I went to a talk by a South African microbiologist many years ago ; his colourfully illustrated experiences with travellers and tropical diseases would make your hair stand on end.
Add that to the extensive tropical disease/parasitology training we received at med school , it spooked me (and my wife).
But the again we have bad stuff in Australia. Various types of mosquito borne viruses -> encephalitis , and other nasties are making the news.
You just want to make sure you can access a quality hospital when you travel.
I'm not really up for transfusions and injections in under resourced countries.
That said, I might get bitten by a tiger snake in the garden tomorrow. Or a mosquito tonight. But no encephalitic viruses here - not troppo enough.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went to a talk by a South African microbiologist many years ago ; his colourfully illustrated experiences with travellers and tropical diseases would make your hair stand on end.
Add that to the extensive tropical disease/parasitology training we received at med school , it spooked me (and my wife).
But the again we have bad stuff in Australia. Various types of mosquito borne viruses -> encephalitis , and other nasties are making the news.
That said, I might get bitten by a tiger snake in the garden tomorrow. Or a mosquito tonight. But no encephalitic viruses here - not troppo enough.
Yes all depends on your attitude to risk. A few years travelling in Africa inc UK to Cape Town in 1995. Living in Malawi and lots of travels in between and since. I was diagnosed with Schistosomiasis (Bilhartzia) last year. 10 years after leaving Malawi where I almost certainly contracted it. I have had major stomach surgery since almost certainly complicated and made worse by the Bilhartzia. It doesn’t stop me travelling. Malaria while living in Malawi, scorpion and spider bites. A week in a police station in the Central African Republic negotiating a fine.
All part of the fun and endless tales to tell around the camp fire 🔥😎

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes all depends on your attitude to risk. A few years travelling in Africa inc UK to Cape Town in 1995. Living in Malawi and lots of travels in between and since. I was diagnosed with Schistosomiasis (Bilhartzia) last year. 10 years after leaving Malawi where I almost certainly contracted it. I have had major stomach surgery since almost certainly complicated and made worse by the Bilhartzia. It doesn’t stop me travelling. Malaria while living in Malawi, scorpion and spider bites. A week in a police station in the Central African Republic negotiating a fine.
All part of the fun and endless tales to tell around the camp fire 🔥😎
I've read tons of travel books ; Christopher Many has some ripper tales. I think he's been continually globetrotting for about 25 years now.
And all those intrepid explorers of the past , present and future,
I always reckon a trip only becomes an adventure when there is peril to be had , and that you usually recall the bad bits more clearly and loudly than the good bits!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've read tons of travel books ; Christopher Many has some ripper tales. I think he's been continually globetrotting for about 25 years now.
And all those intrepid explorers of the past , present and future,
I always reckon a trip only becomes an adventure when there is peril to be had , and that you usually recall the bad bits more clearly and loudly than the good bits!
Exactly. Adversity is what’s makes proper traveling and overlanding. They’re the bits you remember the most. I met up with one of my traveling companions from 1995 at the Grenadier at the vinyard event on Saturday. Many of the old tales came out😎👍🏼

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
blimey - just had to google bilhartzia. sounds awful. hope all settles down

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
blimey - just had to google bilhartzia. sounds awful. hope all settles down
I had major surgery in November and another operation to come probably in March. Then collect my Grenadier trial it for a few months The Ship to Cape Town for 6 months travel around Southern Africa. So probably more spider bites and other Grenadier stories to tell. 😂 Happy days to come. 😎

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
For many people in Germany (maybe Europe) Australia seems to be a very dangerous country to travel because everything deadly venom feels at home there.
How do you in Australia look at those friendly fellows (snakes, spiders, jellyfish, crocodiles, sharks) are you very careful while traveling ore do not that many deadly animals make it to the areas where you travel?

Local time
Reaction score

Wouldn't be too sure about safety in Mauritania now, the most spectacular regions are off limits, the rest is barren land. Travel warnings are in place. The Western Sahara Situation on that route does not help either, unrest can break out any time.

The "traditional Saharan route" to Segou goes via Bordj Mokthar, alternatively via Tam, Agadez and Niamey.

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wouldn't be too sure about safety in Mauritania now, the most spectacular regions are off limits, the rest is barren land. Travel warnings are in place. The Western Sahara Situation on that route does not help either, unrest can break out any time.

The "traditional Saharan route" to Segou goes via Bordj Mokthar, alternatively via Tam, Agadez and Niamey.
I get what you’re saying but if I listened to the British FCO advice I wouldn’t go anywhere. The same advice was in place three years ago for the Adrar region when I was there. There are army and police check points everywhere to make sure you are safe. Western Sahara the same. Check out the FCO advice for South Africa and Pakistan. Lovely countries but bloody dangerous apparently. I’ve been to both recently and love them both.
Australians are advised to “Exercise a high degree of caution in the U.K. due to the threat of terrorism”. What’s that about. 😳
For sure a corporate event wouldn’t go there but for Overlanders these are the exiting places in my view.
Maybe I’m just reckless. 🤔4192D0E2-ED66-4FD6-85EE-61BA06113F48.png

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
On the video all vehicles are BB - IA registered.. This means to Ineos Automotive.. - I was always wondering how this "Hard Way Home" works in "hand over" in relation to car registration.. so their vehicles need to be reregistered then in final country.. - strange enough.. so 2nd owner then?
I expect a vehicle that was never registered at all.
They "have to" drive to their cars witth the Ineos supplied copies, I guess. And there, the "handover" will be celebrated.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For many people in Germany (maybe Europe) Australia seems to be a very dangerous country to travel because everything deadly venom feels at home there.
How do you in Australia look at those friendly fellows (snakes, spiders, jellyfish, crocodiles, sharks) are you very careful while traveling ore do not that many deadly animals make it to the areas where you travel?
In reality it isn't really a problem.
You just have to use common sense.
Snakes are everywhere but hardly anyone ever sees one, they avoid humans.
When swimming you have to accept there are sharks in the water but it is very rare that anyone gets attacked, when they do it is mostly in colder waters
Up north crocodiles are a real threat so if the sign says stay out of the water then ......................
I currently live just south of Brisbane and there are lots of canals and lakes built by developers, you can't swim in them because they are full of bullsharks.
Bullsharks are the most dangerous and live in both salt and fresh water
This is in a lake about 3kms from me.
Our holiday house is 3 hours north of Brisbane and only occasionally after extreme weather do you get jellyfish and a rare crocodile there.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In reality it isn't really a problem.
You just have to use common sense.
Snakes are everywhere but hardly anyone ever sees one, they avoid humans.
When swimming you have to accept there are sharks in the water but it is very rare that anyone gets attacked, when they do it is mostly in colder waters
Up north crocodiles are a real threat so if the sign says stay out of the water then ......................
I currently live just south of Brisbane and there are lots of canals and lakes built by developers, you can't swim in them because they are full of bullsharks.
Bullsharks are the most dangerous and live in both salt and fresh water
This is in a lake about 3kms from me.
Our holiday house is 3 hours north of Brisbane and only occasionally after extreme weather do you get jellyfish and a rare crocodile there.
I heard a lot about the bull sharks in those channels. I think there has been an episode of „river monsters“ connected to the Brisbane area. As they didn’t catch one there they tried successfully in Africa some miles upstream a big river.
When I have been north of Brisbane at Rainbow Beach 1997 I did not go into the water as I have been there alone and didn’t know about the real risks.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I stayed in Kakadoo at the house of a woman teacher, former girlfriend of my "slowly dying" Australian friend, also a teacher (former) there (brain cancer). I was there with him, and his brother. His brother is from Melbourne, and it was his first time in the North.
She said: "Fab will sleep in my room, I sleep with my kids, one of you on the couch, and another one in the tent in the garden". "But you should know, there are quite some very dangerous snakes here".
I saw the brother of Fab looking anxiously at me. She had a grin on her face!
I asked her: "what happens if I get bitten?". She answered: "You scream, you shout, you yell, and I will take you to the hospital, and probably they can give you some antidote".
I answered: "OK, I sleep in the tent!"
The brother was oooh so relieved! :LOL:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I heard a lot about the bull sharks in those channels. I think there has been an episode of „river monsters“ connected to the Brisbane area. As they didn’t catch one there they tried successfully in Africa some miles upstream a big river.
When I have been north of Brisbane at Rainbow Beach 1997 I did not go into the water as I have been there alone and didn’t know about the real risks.
Sharks are protected so you are not allowed to kill them

Back
Top Bottom