The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tremec gearbox cannot be switched

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:57 AM
Reaction score
Hi, did you manage do get the little pin back in again? I have the same problem right now- pin fall out (I have it) but can nit get it in again. Eed some help here…..😉
Will try it tomorrow!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Phoned the workshop.
The pin is not available separately, the complete gearshift has to be replaced.
I wonder what happens when I'm on vacation, off-road, in low gear and locked differential and the pin slips out again?
I will ask during installation if the pin can be fixed!

• Wow
Reactions: CB

Mohs 9

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Now I am a victim of the transfer case problem too: Cannot engage Low.
Picked up my Grenny 3 weeks ago at the agent who had done the software update and various smaller repairs. He told my that they had changed the transfer gearbox also as part of an INEOS technical measure. Today first time I tried with the new transfer case - no success . The old one (I have an early build from Dec 22) worked w/o problems.
Center diff can be locked in High, but switching to Low is not possible. And yes, it had been in Neutral.
I am really annoyed.

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What sort of magic pin is this?
An approx 10 mm long maybe 1,5 mm diameter pin of hardend steel, that fixes the ring on the leaver. The ring that you have to lift up in order to make a change from high to low or Center diff lock.
Incredible that this pin is not fixed….and that I ca not get it in after 3 days trying.
I do 100% agree with Hannes, if that happens in the middle of nowwhere ….and you can‘t go back to high….or even if you need to change to low and are not able to…..that bites for an „off-roader“….
It all would be better to solve, if Ineos would keep their promise, meaning to hand out a „3d work manual“…..

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
Now I am a victim of the transfer case problem too: Cannot engage Low.
Picked up my Grenny 3 weeks ago at the agent who had done the software update and various smaller repairs. He told my that they had changed the transfer gearbox also as part of an INEOS technical measure. Today first time I tried with the new transfer case - no success . The old one (I have an early build from Dec 22) worked w/o problems.
Center diff can be locked in High, but switching to Low is not possible. And yes, it had been in Neutral.
I am really annoyed.
That sounds exactly like the problem I had.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If somebody can take accurate measurements of the pin it may be easy to find a suitable spare.

HSS drills are easily available at 0,1 mm steps and they are hardened steel. Cut suitable piece from the smooth end, and fit using suitable retaining compound, like Loctite 603.
I tried to insert a 1.5 mm drill bit and found the inner hole, but it still didn't work!

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
Maybe when they're working on these shift levers, the dealer can affix a pea sized piece of chewed bubblegum to affix the pins.

Mohs 9

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I managed to shift into LOW 🫣
The trick was so roll forward and use substantial force. After a few HIGH/LOW changes this way it was possible to switch while stationary.
Does this get better? It was no problem with my original transfer case.

Reactions: PBD

GrenX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Im having so much trouble trying to shift into low range myself. Its Very very frustrating and id be very concerned if i could not shift it on a very step hill. It is dangerous if low range cannot be selected with ease.

Reactions: PBD

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
As a FYI, Bill Burke (US offroad "Guru" did some serious wheeling with a Grenadier and reprted the transfer case was initially very stiff, but by the end of the day and many Hi-lo swaps, it was a lot easier. Looks like the transfer case just needs a bit of breaking in... I'm thinking of giving it a good exercise while driving round the block at the dealers to check this (and I want to see a signed copy of the pre-delivery checklist and talk to the technician who did it), all before I take delivery!!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
As a FYI, Bill Burke (US offroad "Guru" did some serious wheeling with a Grenadier and reprted the transfer case was initially very stiff, but by the end of the day and many Hi-lo swaps, it was a lot easier. Looks like the transfer case just needs a bit of breaking in... I'm thinking of giving it a good exercise while driving round the block at the dealers to check this (and I want to see a signed copy of the pre-delivery checklist and talk to the technician who did it), all before I take delivery!!!
Knock a few burrs off 😁

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So mine is now back in action, transfer case replaced. Cable snapped when they had to remove it and uad to wait a week for a new cable but all good now. Appears to be a different issue to @Logsplitter as it was an internal fault in the transfer case and the cable was collateral damage and his seems to be a cable issue.

Back
Top Bottom