The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tremec gearbox cannot be switched

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
known problem?
Apparently the ring for unlocking/raising on my shift lever for the intermediate gearbox doesn't work. Neither the gear reduction nor the central lock can be engaged - even with a lot of force. Anyone have an idea?

I did this on test vehicles, where the ring had a resistance/function and the gears were difficult to engage.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:55 PM
Reaction score
when you describe it as "doesn't work" can you be more specific?
for example: (a) is the collar unable to be moved on the shaft?;
or (b) can you lift it but the selector won't move from high range..
Note: You may need to get the transfer case properly warmed up as the tolerances are quit tight.

If it's (b), and the transfer case is warmed up (say 40-50 degC) drive at a slow walking pace on a loose surface (grass/gravel etc) and try to engage the centre diff lock. Once that works repeat several times.
Stop, transmission in neutral, and try to engage Low Range, even while rolling forward a little in neutral on a slight slope as you push quite "firmly" (= some force) to get it engaged. Once engaged in LowR, then try engaging the CDL while moving at about 5kmh.
hope this helps

PS the "collective wisdom/experience" of the forum would indicate that frequent shifting of the transfer case between High/Low and engaging/disengaging the CDL is key to smooth operation later.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
All of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it cannot be moved on the shaft (or the collar doesn't "click" into place), this is a bigger problem that should be handled by your agent

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it cannot be moved on the shaft (or the collar doesn't "click" into place), this is a bigger problem that should be handled by your agent
Actually the collar doesn't "click" into place. It's spring loaded to return to its position between "shifts".

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
Actually the collar doesn't "click" into place. It's spring loaded to return to its position between "shifts".
More accurately, I should have said if it doesn't settle all the way down into it's "locked" position

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all.
i have done test drives bevor with other grenadiers and these I can shift and the collar has a feedback when pushing.

the collar on my Gren is relaxed/loosen with no feedback and the shifter is
blocked.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all.
i have done test drives bevor with other grenadiers and these I can shift and the collar has a feedback when pushing.

blocked.
I can't recall you mentioning how long you've had your car , but surely the transfer case function should have been checked at the dealers before handover to you?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can't recall you mentioning how long you've had your car , but surely the transfer case function should have been checked at the dealers before handover to you?
he collected the vehicle just last Friday.
The week before last I tested and familiarized myself with all functions on wet grassland.. high, low , high center locked, low center locked rear diff on off, rear and front on and off and all three locked again then center lock unlocked and switch to H, everything automatically unlocked within 4 meters rolling forward and all indicators disappeared to an all black panel.
the transfer case works fine.

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
Thanks all.

blocked.
This might be simply the roll pin falling out of the shaft meaning the shifter cannot be engaged.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone look up the size of the path of the ring?
In my case only 1 cm

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When mine was completely new I could not get the lever into the low gear position. Not on the left and also not on the locked side. No way. Even with moderate force. Finally, I managed to get it in. I had to shift to neutral while driving and pushed back the lever. After a few hundred meters of driving in low gear, it worked as it should. Shifting is now relatively easy and no problems with it ever since. So it seems that it has to wear in a little bit....

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When mine was completely new I could not get the lever into the low gear position. Not on the left and also not on the locked side. No way. Even with moderate force. Finally, I managed to get it in. I had to shift to neutral while driving and pushed back the lever. After a few hundred meters of driving in low gear, it worked as it should. Shifting is now relatively easy and no problems with it ever since. So it seems that it has to wear in a little bit....
Shifting from H to L and vice versa must be in Neutral ONLY!
The center lock can be engaged w/o moving to neutral.
The locking engages immediately and disengages within a few wheel turns.
@Hannes01 should have a more recent transfer case installed and this one should work w/o issues.
If he tries to engage it written in instruction manual - there should be no issues. If that does not work out he should contact Mr. Crepaldi at K&E - not a topic to play around with. At least I wouldn't try to play around one of the vital drivetrain components at least while on warranty.

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe, how to fix?
Try lifting the H/L knob, look at the control lever and see if you can spot a hole right through the Rod which should hold the knob to the control lever but allow the knob to lift up allowing you to select L from H and back again always with the auto box in neutral.
If you see a hole the roll pin is missing and you’ll not be able to go to bottom box. If the pin is present and the knob works I suggest the box is just very tight.
It’ll almost certainly be very tight when brand new. Mine was very difficult first time of use and has gradually got easier.
It was always that way on Land Rover product until they moved to electrical switching. The vehicles with full time 4x4 always difficult when new on those I’ve had from new - Defender and Discovery. Even on old Series motors the red knob and lever could be difficult when new.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Try lifting the H/L knob, look at the control lever and see if you can spot a hole right through the Rod which should hold the knob to the control lever but allow the knob to lift up allowing you to select L from H and back again always with the auto box in neutral.
If you see a hole the roll pin is missing and you’ll not be able to go to bottom box. If the pin is present and the knob works I suggest the box is just very tight.
It’ll almost certainly be very tight when brand new. Mine was very difficult first time of use and has gradually got easier.
It was always that way on Land Rover product until they moved to electrical switching. The vehicles with full time 4x4 always difficult when new on those I’ve had from new - Defender and Discovery. Even on old Series motors the red knob and lever could be difficult when new.
Will try

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The ring under the button definitely does not open the button lock
i have driven different grenadiers bevor and managed the shifting from high to low and the diff lock!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stolen this picture from Jean.
Locking mechanism should be under the leather jacket!IMG_2231.jpeg

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I use mine regularly for reversing trailers. It engages easily but occasionally it won’t move because the teeth in the T case obviously won’t mesh. Allowing the vehicle to roll a bit solves this.
It was the same in the old defender, but it had the advantage that you could select a gear and slowly engage the clutch which would allow the gear to mesh.

Back
Top Bottom