The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tremec gearbox cannot be switched

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
I have been driving all-wheel drive vehicles for 40 years and know a bit about reduction gearboxes.
Believe me, in my case there is a mechanical defect with the unlocking through the ring on the gear knob.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have been driving all-wheel drive vehicles for 40 years and know a bit about reduction gearboxes.
Believe me, in my case there is a mechanical defect with the unlocking through the ring on the gear knob.
Yep, so get in contact with Mr Crepaldi.. this is his business. Warranty topic. Just noticed the Torx screw in boot fixing the latch rings below left far rear window were loose. This is as of now the only quality issue I detected. Fastening these however was an easy job compared to the topic you are facing and another 1 hr journey. -
But the issues you have should have been recognised and fixed by K&E during predelivery inspection. That is a topic of the checklist.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
Yep, so get in contact with Mr Crepaldi.. this is his business. Warranty topic. Just noticed the Torx screw in boot fixing the latch rings below left far rear window were loose. This is as of now the only quality issue I detected. Fastening these however was an easy job compared to the topic you are facing and another 1 hr journey. -
But the issues you have should have been recognised and fixed by K&E during predelivery inspection. That is a topic of the checklist.
Absolutely, Mr Crepaldi will fix it with his sonic screw driver!:cool:
Oh! wait.... sorry.... wrong Mr Crepaldi
1699361395438.png

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No need to make a joke on this. :( I met Mr. Crepaldi this is quite competent person and gained quite some knowledge on all issues that came up here in the forum. As @Hannes01 just recently picked up his Grenadier and the particular part testing the transfer case should be properly tested before hand over during PDI, I would expect a serious explanation by agent. A sonic screwdriver or harry potters wand is not the topic here. This seems a warranty issue, because @Hannes01 is very unlikely a DAU. (in German DAU = Dümmster anzunehmender User / Dumbest User to be Assumed, IT Speak)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No need to make a joke on this. :( I met Mr. Crepaldi this is quite competent person and gained quite some knowledge on all issues that came up here in the forum. As @Hannes01 just recently picked up his Grenadier and the particular part testing the transfer case should be properly tested before hand over during PDI, I would expect a serious explanation by agent. A sonic screwdriver or harry potters wand is not the topic here. This seems a warranty issue, because @Hannes01 is very unlikely a DAU. (in German DAU = Dümmster anzunehmender User / Dumbest User to be Assumed, IT Speak)
Sorry Klarie
Absolutely no mal intent!

I should have gone to bed earlier.
This forum is too damned addictive!
A warped sense of humour late at night seems funnier.
It was a "left handed compliment " to the Ineos tech. that with a family name of "Crepaldi" he is in globally esteemed company!
I guess it was "lost in translation "
cheers
DM

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I picked up my car a couple of weeks ago and also couldn't get it into low range. It just didn't feel like the ring was doing anything. The local agent had a quick look under the leather cover and saw the mechanism was "broken". He has put a case in with Ineos. So it isn't just a being stiff or new issue it could be a failure.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Could someone please measure the distance between the lower edge of the knob and the upper edge of the unlocking ring on the gearshift lever?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry Klarie
Absolutely no mal intent!

I should have gone to bed earlier.
This forum is too damned addictive!
A warped sense of humour late at night seems funnier.
It was a "left handed compliment " to the Ineos tech. that with a family name of "Crepaldi" he is in globally esteemed company!
I guess it was "lost in translation "
cheers
DM
accepted. @Hannes01 is anyway a poor chap, - waiting a loong time, hazzle getting his payment accepted, getting the papers and registered also took longer than usual and now this. He is for some reason unlucky in this case and seems to jump from one landmine to the next..

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I picked up my car a couple of weeks ago and also couldn't get it into low range. It just didn't feel like the ring was doing anything. The local agent had a quick look under the leather cover and saw the mechanism was "broken". He has put a case in with Ineos. So it isn't just a being stiff or new issue it could be a failure.
How get he a look under the cover?

I would like to check this, but I don't know how to get rid of the cover

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So, I was at a friend's house today with Grenadier.
On his car you can clearly feel that the ring is moving or lifting Something.
There is no feedback at all on mine

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So, I was at a friend's house today with Grenadier.
On his car you can clearly feel that the ring is moving or lifting Something.
There is no feedback at all on mine
Did you already contact someone at K&E? - Just discussing here won't fix the issue.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Try to get Mr Crepaldi on the phone today, no chance

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Could someone please measure the distance between the lower edge of the knob and the upper edge of the unlocking ring on the gearshift lever?
The average of several readings with my (Aldi) electronic calipers (with fresh battery!) indicates that the upwards displacement of the collar when it is lifted against the return spring: 5mm +/_ 0.2mm

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The average of several readings with my (Aldi) electronic calipers (with fresh battery!) indicates that the upwards displacement of the collar when it is lifted against the return spring: 5mm +/_ 0.2mm
That calibrates with my hand operated "feeler gauge", which reads "a smidge"

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I recently experienced the inability to move the selector to low range. Can lock the centre diff but can’t move back to low range. Agent confirmed a mechanical fault and they have replaced the transfer case, but they warned me that about 50:50 when they have to try and remove the old transfer case the cable is so tight that it snaps while they are trying to get it out. Unfortunately mine did snap. I have the car back and it’s driveable, but while they did have the transfer case in stock they didn’t have the cable. So still waiting for cable to come in and restore low range. Btw the transfer case that failed and removed was a “B” version already.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom