The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tow hitch steel cable is rusty

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:02 PM
Reaction score
In my car, the steel cable that secures the trailer hitch bolt is rusty.

My trailer hitch is a combination of a ball hitch and a claw hitch with a push through bolt. This bolt is secured against theft with a steel cable. The steel cable is covered by a transparent silicone tube (I suspect it is silicone), see photograph (without rust at the time).

20230710_164745.JPG

And now, inside the silicone tube, the steel cable is rusty. What now looks like copper from the outside is simply rust.

The car is now just 5 months old. So I'm afraid the cable won't last long.

Anyone else having this problem?

Reactions: PBD

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
In my car, the steel cable that secures the trailer hitch bolt is rusty.

My trailer hitch is a combination of a ball hitch and a claw hitch with a push through bolt. This bolt is secured against theft with a steel cable. The steel cable is covered by a transparent silicone tube (I suspect it is silicone), see photograph (without rust at the time).

View attachment 7852500

And now, inside the silicone tube, the steel cable is rusty. What now looks like copper from the outside is simply rust.

The car is now just 5 months old. So I'm afraid the cable won't last long.

Anyone else having this problem?
Mine is coming up for 5 months and still.looks like new. I'll check tomorrow when it's light but I'm sure mine is stainless and not plastic coated. The tow ball is a better finished looking job that what you have with a good finish, it is definitely a different make.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I've taken some photographs today.

The issue in detail:

20240411_151546_1600.JPG

20240411_151431_1600.JPG

20240411_151343_1600.JPG

20240411_151318_1600.JPG

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
And I must add that I did not drive the car on salted winter roads. The first trip after winter took place after almost two weeks of rain, which washed away all traces of salt.

But even if: It should never look like that.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, no question.

But I'd prefer it to stay stainless.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The cable is also a theft protection. A rope can easily be cut with a knife and be destroyed even with a simple cigarette lighter.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
The cable is also a theft protection. A rope can easily be cut with a knife and be destroyed even with a simple cigarette lighter.
I thought it was for loss prevention. Anyone who wants to protect their hitch will be using a locking pin.

Last edited:

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
Buy some Nver dull http://www.nevrdull.com/ and polish it, all steel will rust, especially if you have winter area where they use some Salt based compound to met ice. There are some Stainless Steels that will also still have surface rust aka oxidization. This not about China product it about Steel is made with Iron and Carbon, and some steel pull in other elements to harden it. Cromolly aka material like Carbon, Molybdenum and Chromium. Stainless at Nickel and Magnesium and Nitrogen. Remember Stainless steel with still oxide, oxygen is pretty powerful element to pull electrons from another element or compound.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
Buy some Nver dull http://www.nevrdull.com/ and polish it, all steel will rust, especially if you have winter area where they use some Salt based compound to met ice. There are some Stainless Steels that will also still have surface rust aka oxidization. This not about China product it about Steel is made with Iron and Carbon, and some steel pull in other elements to harden it. Cromolly aka material like Carbon, Molybdenum and Chromium. Stainless at Nickel and Magnesium and Nitrogen. Remember Stainless steel with still oxide, oxygen is pretty powerful element to pull electrons from another element or compound.
Just a general note, this has nothing to do with the cable mentioned above:
I would also advise using V4A instead of V2A if you are building something yourself (for example, a carrier). This steel can also develop some rust film, but the probability is much less than V2A.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom