The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tow bar - but which tow bar? (EU spec)

Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
The EU configurators (eg Austrian) give two tow bar options (UK has only one):

1. "Fixed" tow bar (ETC)
"FESTE „ANHÄNGERKUPPLUNG UND ELEKTRIK“ Feste Anhängerkupplung mit Elektrosatz. Die feste Anhängerkupplung lässt sich über drei verschiedene Montagepositionen der vertikalen Zugvorrichtung in der Höhe verstellen.
Translation: "FIXED "TRAILER HITCH AND ELECTRICAL" Fixed trailer hitch with wiring kit. The height of the fixed trailer hitch can be adjusted via three different mounting positions of the vertical hitch.

2. "Claw" tow bar (ETI)
ANHÄNGERKUPPLUNG – 50-MM-KUGELKOPF UND KLAUE MIT ELEKTRIK. Die 50-mm-Anhängerkupplung samt Klaue eignet sich ideal für gewerbliche Anwendungen. Zum Lieferumfang gehören ein Elektrosatz, eine 50-mm-Kupplungskugel und ein Kupplungsstift mit einem Durchmesser von 25 mm.
Translation: "TRAILER HITCH - 50MM BALL AND CLAW WITH ELECTRICS" The 50mm hitch and claw is ideal for commercial applications. The scope of delivery includes an electrical kit, a 50 mm hitch ball and a 25 mm diameter hitch pin.

My question is, what are the actual differences between them? The ETI looks like the ball is more distantly located from the vehicle body, so the extra space would probably allow easier fitting of eg bike racks etc to the tow ball. However I am not sure about this and also what would be the other differences, advantages and limitations of each of the two? Also which one would be easier to remove when not needed?

Attachments

• ETC.png
    ETC.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 35
  • ETI.png
    ETI.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 37

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:41 PM
Reaction score
Think they’re available on the UK commercial version. Depends what you’re towing but I only ever need the ball type.

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Also would like a blanking plate or bung for the square hitch receiver.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Think they’re available on the UK commercial version. Depends what you’re towing but I only ever need the ball type.
At one point, we had the choice of 3 in the UK directly from Ineos.

Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments made so far, but my question was not about the types of tow bars offered in the UK or Australia, or about blanking plates etc, but about the differences between the two specific EU options listed above. So I would welcome any relevant replies.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

1. "Fixed" tow bar (ETC)
"FESTE „ANHÄNGERKUPPLUNG UND ELEKTRIK“ Feste Anhängerkupplung mit Elektrosatz. Die feste Anhängerkupplung lässt sich über drei verschiedene Montagepositionen der vertikalen Zugvorrichtung in der Höhe verstellen.
Translation: "FIXED "TRAILER HITCH AND ELECTRICAL" Fixed trailer hitch with wiring kit. The height of the fixed trailer hitch can be adjusted via three different mounting positions of the vertical hitch.

2. "Claw" tow bar (ETI)
ANHÄNGERKUPPLUNG – 50-MM-KUGELKOPF UND KLAUE MIT ELEKTRIK. Die 50-mm-Anhängerkupplung samt Klaue eignet sich ideal für gewerbliche Anwendungen. Zum Lieferumfang gehören ein Elektrosatz, eine 50-mm-Kupplungskugel und ein Kupplungsstift mit einem Durchmesser von 25 mm.
Translation: "TRAILER HITCH - 50MM BALL AND CLAW WITH ELECTRICS" The 50mm hitch and claw is ideal for commercial applications. The scope of delivery includes an electrical kit, a 50 mm hitch ball and a 25 mm diameter hitch pin.

My question is, what are the actual differences between them? The ETI looks like the ball is more distantly located from the vehicle body, so the extra space would probably allow easier fitting of eg bike racks etc to the tow ball. However I am not sure about this and also what would be the other differences, advantages and limitations of each of the two? Also which one would be easier to remove when not needed?
They are both fixed into place with the same two nuts and bolts so removing either wouldn’t be any harder than the other. The top four holes on the towing interface are a smaller size suitable for NATO hitch I think so not suitable for adjusting the height of the 50mm standard tow hitch. look up the Tow hitch thread for way more information on this subject 👍🏼

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

1. "Fixed" tow bar (ETC)
Translation: "FIXED "TRAILER HITCH AND ELECTRICAL" Fixed trailer hitch with wiring kit. The height of the fixed trailer hitch can be adjusted via three different mounting positions of the vertical hitch. That contradicts what I have read. The 2 lower bolt holes are standard tow ball M16 fixing. The upper 4 are closer spaced for M12 Nato style tow mounts. If that is correct then the ball can't mounted in 3 positions. In view of your statement I don't know which is correct.

2. "Claw" tow bar (ETI)

My question is, what are the actual differences between them? The ETI looks like the ball is more distantly located from the vehicle body, so the extra space would probably allow easier fitting of eg bike racks etc to the tow ball. However I am not sure about this and also what would be the other differences, advantages and limitations of each of the two? Also which one would be easier to remove when not needed? Tow balls are not an item that are meant to be removed on and off regularly, since it is good practise to replace the nuts each time and torque to appropriate setting - grade dependant.
@Dent the only comments I would make are in blue above, since I'm in the UK the decision is made for me!

Local time
Reaction score
INFO: the tow ball is made by BRINK check them out you can get a common market spec lower 2" ball with 4 holes to fit the NATO mount why they just didn't go with the 2" receiver I don't know.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
INFO: the tow ball is made by BRINK check them out you can get a common market spec lower 2" ball with 4 holes to fit the NATO mount why they just didn't go with the 2" receiver I don't know.
My Grenadier will be a commercial and I’m going to use the 2” receiver hitch for mounting a tow hitch and recovery hitch

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Because a 2" receiver is not legal for M1 vehicles in the UK

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Like what's the difference they are the same vehicle N1 even pays more tax .
I know, I gave up trying to find sense in UK laws along time ago. Mind you towing laws are still derived from EU Directives that revoked a lot of the Transport Construction and Use Regulations which had an element of logic.

Local time
Reaction score
My dealer reckons people will just do their own thing.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My Grenadier will be a commercial and I’m going to use the 2” receiver hitch for mounting a tow hitch and recovery hitch
I think I saw some talk somewhere that the receiver had a tapered section and someone could not fully engage their standard square section hitch?

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I saw some talk somewhere that the receiver had a tapered section and someone could fully engage their standard square section hitch?
Don't know, it's one for @Jean Mercier, but the poor man now spends more time at the showroom than his home. He has probably already been invited to their staff shooting day, Christmas Dinner, not to mention their team briefings. Rumour has it he has been allocated his own car parking space.
So if I were you I wouldn't dare ask him. 🤣

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I saw some talk somewhere that the receiver had a tapered section and someone could not fully engage their standard square section hitch?
👍🏼 Yes I saw that. It was one of the hitches with two location holes. They could only fix into first hole on hitch and couldn’t push it in farther to use second closer coupling hole. Easily sorted. Can’t remember where I saw it either 🤔

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
Don't know, it's one for @Jean Mercier, but the poor man now spends more time at the showroom than his home. He has probably already been invited to their staff shooting day, Christmas Dinner, not to mention their team briefings. Rumour has it he has been allocated his own car parking space.
So if I were you I wouldn't dare ask him. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom