The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Total cost at the driveway

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
The other figure that has to be taken into account is the 3501kg that it has to be over. The standard figures quote 3500 which is why Ineos Australia changed it to 3550 in the brochure
I think they are probably working both angles 

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:09 AM
Reaction score
DaveB said:
The other figure that has to be taken into account is the 3501kg that it has to be over. The standard figures quote 3500 which is why Ineos Australia changed it to 3550 in the brochure
I think they are probably working both angles 

Personally I think the over 3500kg GVM was primarily to get it around ADR laws about side impact, AEB requirements, ANCAP testing etc that dont apply to medium commercial vehicles.
However the 50KG extra payload does help.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Davman said:
Mark.  It is an interesting conversation that is for sure.

Based on the worse case scenario of the 5 Seat Diesel which has a maximum payload of 810kg.
Based on the 5x68kg rule, then that would mean that 340kg is Passsenger, and 470kg is Payload.
So surely this would mean that it is automatically a goods carrying vehicle and therefore exempt from LCT.

I agree with you there are many unknowns still.  If under this scenario above all versions are automatically exempt from LCT - then why are INEOS having to apply for an exemption?
Perhaps its just to make things 100% clear??

It's pretty common these days to get private rulings from the ATO on many aspects of the tax law, especially where a specific tax applies to goods and services sold to the public and certainty is needed.

Whilst every taxpayer is free to get a tax opinion from an accountant or lawyer (and I reckon INEOS Australia would have done so on this issue given the millions of $$$ involved) each year, an ATO private ruling as well provides clarity if the issue is grey and/or extra assurance.

OG1

Local time
5:09 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Mark Evans  grenadierboy userid=8954799 postid=1332645099]That sound fantastic (although it probably should have been submitted many weeks ago). 

The INEOS tax advisers would have been asked to review the LCT regulations and provide their advice.

I would think that the tax advisers would not be making such a submission unless they were of the view that the Grenadier is indeed exempt. 

Hopefully it's a box ticking exercise not and clear cut.[/QUOTE]

OG1

Local time
Reaction score
Apparently application process normally begins after ADR type approval is granted. If so that not due for months. So their submission was made in advance (supposedly agreed by ATO) based on expected values.

OG1

Local time
Reaction score
Davman said:
Personally I think the over 3500kg GVM was primarily to get it around ADR laws about side impact, AEB requirements, ANCAP testing etc that dont apply to medium commercial vehicles.
However the 50KG extra payload does help.

OG1

Local time
Reaction score
Interesting, if the vehicle is ECE M1 compliant it will need to have side impact (I believe). It also has a reasonable array of airbags. AEB isn’t required yet, but will be in many countries. So one would have to assume there’s a plan there.

I was told at tour event there was three main reasons:
1. NB1 is duty exempt 
2. best case LCT application 
3. better payload

to the point made, it’s true there’s no rating for NB1. So the suggestion it couldn’t be sold to fleets that have 5 star purchase policy, wouldn’t apply.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Mark Evans  grenadierboy userid=8954799 postid=1332645099]That sound fantastic (although it probably should have been submitted many weeks ago). 

The INEOS tax advisers would have been asked to review the LCT regulations and provide their advice.

I would think that the tax advisers would not be making such a submission unless they were of the view that the Grenadier is indeed exempt. 

Hopefully it's a box ticking exercise not and clear cut.[/QUOTE]

Mark,
I sincerely hope so re.  basis for the submission!  Then again, there's the old joke about asking an accountant  for an answer and the response is "what do you want it to be?"??
In all seriousness, for those not fully across the process, it goes something like this:  the submission lands on the desk/computer screen of a "delegated officer" in the ATO who interprets the Act and Regulations, makes the ruling. There's a legal process under the Tax Act governing all this. It's often referred to as a "Private Ruling" akin to a 'private court judgement' and in many instances is treated as a 'legal' precedent for similar future cases. Essentially it's an ATO ruling based on their interpretation of the relevant sections of the Tax Act.
Hope this helps.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
So it depends also very much on the political position of the 'delegated officer': Is he a member of  the 4WDA or one of FFF ...

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
emax said:
So it depends also very much on the political position of the 'delegated officer': Is he a member of  the 4WDA or one of FFF ...

Quite possibly, indeed probably, the said "Delegated Officer"   might well be a  "she"! ?

? As my dear late Dad used say when things were uncertain  "Mate... you just never know your luck in a big city!!"

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Around 30 dealers so far across Australia mostly on the coast. Not surprising as that's where 90% of the population live. 
Unfortunately the brown bit in the middle is where a lot of these vehicles could potentially travel to. 
I couldn't find a map of the Bosch Service centres in Australia  

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Let us all hope that Ineos tax advisors do a far better job with their LCT submission than their IT department has done with their website..  ?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I bet the website programming was outsourced.

Offers form India are always tempting but the results are never.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
emax said:

Yes. I did a presentation at a conference yesterday and one of my points was that the lowest tenderer is often the most expensive in the end.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Totally agree.  200%.

The problem with them is (mostly) not the skills. But the mentality.

Painful experience. They were colleagues, but actually  they weren't.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
I like the "in the driveway" framing of this -- as a question for you - how does this "in the driveway" cost of the Grenadier rate with other vehicles you would consider? For instance, if you put it up against a 70 series, a 300 series, a Jeep, maybe the New Defender, or any other vehicles you have cross-shopped with?

My reason for asking is it will give others a rough idea of the MSRP for their "home markets" -- $117k seems quite steep, but if a Jeep Wrangler or 300 series is $120k "in the driveway", it's in line with the overall market.

RTG

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I haven’t seriously considered anything else. A workmate wagon off the shelf would be the closest comparison and maybe a little cheaper, plus there may not be any LCT,…….. Drove those as a Britz hire, and loved the v8. 70 series Ute is too cramped. Don’t want a Jeep. I haven’t seen a similarly priced Defender, except for the 2litre….. I love the bells and whistles on those, but once you get out of the stock standard, again the price skyrockets.. I have mulled over what would I get a a “last” vehicle. Hopefully this would tick the boxes, but hey, unless it is a real dud………and here in Aus we will get feedback from UK owners probably prior to committing to a contract……just on sell and buy a Landrover series 3….?

OG1

Local time
Reaction score
emax said:

OG1

Local time
Reaction score
If you do some digging around you’ll find they’re working with European companies. Besides if I understand correct, it’s not the website, it’s the payment gateway & how it interacts with their back end (believe that’s SAP). I was told that in Australia about 80% of orders went through ok. About 10% was security settings, pop ups not working or CC declines, the remaining 10% seems to be a mystery! 

Back
Top Bottom