The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

To buy or not to buy...that is the question?

Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
The previous posts describe the Grenadier pretty well. Owning a Fieldmaster now 7 months and very litte issues. Sticky door knobs & boot shower. 20% off road (grass, unpaved, mud) 5% gravel and 75% on road varying condition.
Fun to drive. Never purchase a Grenadier w/o rough package. Always full set of difflocks. Getting these aftermarket is merely impossible.
And I would add, there's absolutely no point to the truck without them. Sans that equipment, you have have a bloated poor handling commuter that does nothing particularly well, and has no value to someone looking to buy a few years from now second hand. Even if you are just purchasing for the looks of it yourself, GET THOSE OPTIONS.

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:06 PM
Reaction score
Gx lexus, Gwagon, Gren... G stands for Gas....
G means Gas.. or Diesel maybe, Flammable Liquid providing Energy that can be transported in Jerry Cans in areas w/o infrastructure. .. G means Gelände in German in this usage it means terrain that is not paved or accessible using public ground based infrastructure.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:06 PM
Reaction score
Overall, an incredibly unique, fun, and beautiful vehicle. I don't mind the steering, it doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer it over my 100 series which feels sluggish now when I get behind the wheel. The drive train is fantastic! I absolutely love the Engine, Transmission combo. Always seems to be in the right gear, never hunting around for gears, and insanely smooth for a 4x4 SUV. And the looks are just insane!

For the bad, they missed a few things IMO that are simple fixes. The rear seats sit too upright and there are no cup holders in the rear. I personally didn't think this would be an issue, but actually have had quite a few people comment on it, so clearly they just ignored it. A drop down armrest in the rear center seat would of fixed this. "Come on Recaro!" The HVAC is a bit wonky at times, but isn't a huge deal. We all know about the ADAS features so won't touch that hot button. LOL. Also, the rear seats sit higher than the front, so getting in and out without a step can be a challenge for some. There is also no grab handles in the rear for people to pull themselves up and into the rear seat, so need to install head rest handles.

Outside of the vehicle, I think the biggest risk is dealer support and availability of parts. Unfortunately, I have one of the G's that has had a lot of electrical issues and parts availability seems to be a time consuming and difficult process for the dealerships. Coming from Toyota, where I can walk into a Parts and Service department and get basically anything I need off the shelf, I wasn't ready for the "Boutique" experience of waiting 6+ weeks for parts. This does make me a bit concerned as to what my experience would be if I was to actually break down in a remote location. Where would I get towed to, and how long would my rig have to sit there? Something to consider.

In the end, its a head turner of a vehicle, super fun and unique. But keep in mind it is boutique, does not have any frills, is really intrusive at times with the beeps and bongs, which at this point I just find funny. A beast off-road. And did I say absolutely beautiful! LOL. Hope this quick run down helps you make your decision.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:06 PM
Reaction score
Overall, an incredibly unique, fun, and beautiful vehicle. I don't mind the steering, it doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer it over my 100 series which feels sluggish now when I get behind the wheel. The drive train is fantastic! I absolutely love the Engine, Transmission combo. Always seems to be in the right gear, never hunting around for gears, and insanely smooth for a 4x4 SUV. And the looks are just insane!

For the bad, they missed a few things IMO that are simple fixes. The rear seats sit too upright and there are no cup holders in the rear. I personally didn't think this would be an issue, but actually have had quite a few people comment on it, so clearly they just ignored it. A drop down armrest in the rear center seat would of fixed this. "Come on Recaro!" The HVAC is a bit wonky at times, but isn't a huge deal. We all know about the ADAS features so won't touch that hot button. LOL. Also, the rear seats sit higher than the front, so getting in and out without a step can be a challenge for some. There is also no grab handles in the rear for people to pull themselves up and into the rear seat, so need to install head rest handles.

Outside of the vehicle, I think the biggest risk is dealer support and availability of parts. Unfortunately, I have one of the G's that has had a lot of electrical issues and parts availability seems to be a time consuming and difficult process for the dealerships. Coming from Toyota, where I can walk into a Parts and Service department and get basically anything I need off the shelf, I wasn't ready for the "Boutique" experience of waiting 6+ weeks for parts. This does make me a bit concerned as to what my experience would be if I was to actually break down in a remote location. Where would I get towed to, and how long would my rig have to sit there? Something to consider.

In the end, its a head turner of a vehicle, super fun and unique. But keep in mind it is boutique, does not have any frills, is really intrusive at times with the beeps and bongs, which at this point I just find funny. A beast off-road. And did I say absolutely beautiful! LOL. Hope this quick run down helps you make your decision.
Hi Jackattack13, There are rear seat recline brackets that are very easy to install. They tilt the rear seat back 2.17" or 55.20mm. The brackets are incredibly robust and well made. There are many vendors offering them on ebay for around $100 or less. Here's who I purchased them from. If you click on the link, you will also find the vendor has an install video that shows how easy it is to install, takes just 10 - 15 min . They even provide the tool. DaBull

This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Grenadier Fieldmaster and have been excited about the prospect for some time, but wanted to gain some insight into buyers' experiences first...As with any car, there are pro's and con's and they will all come out in the forums, especially in 4x4 enthusiast forums such as this one, so thank you all for some insightful comments! My off-roading will be 10% and then mostly gravel roading and overlanding to go and see places off the beaten track, but no rock hopping as a sport. I've had LC100, LC200, Nissan Patrol, double cab pickups and more recently 4 VW Touaregs in a row...(great vehicle, but time for a change).

I have noticed some issues mentioned and discussed, mostly minor but the occasional steering comment does raise a concern...To buy or not to buy...that is the question? Any buyers' remorse? Would you do it again considering what you know now? Do you wish you had gone with the tried and trusted alternatives?

Looking forward to hearing from you ;-)
My advice is to test drive one for a whole day first. Then compare with all the vehicles that are on your like list and see which one is weighs up the best for you. We’re all different and we use for different purposes.

AndreOne

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Grenadier Fieldmaster and have been excited about the prospect for some time, but wanted to gain some insight into buyers' experiences first...As with any car, there are pro's and con's and they will all come out in the forums, especially in 4x4 enthusiast forums such as this one, so thank you all for some insightful comments! My off-roading will be 10% and then mostly gravel roading and overlanding to go and see places off the beaten track, but no rock hopping as a sport. I've had LC100, LC200, Nissan Patrol, double cab pickups and more recently 4 VW Touaregs in a row...(great vehicle, but time for a change).

I have noticed some issues mentioned and discussed, mostly minor but the occasional steering comment does raise a concern...To buy or not to buy...that is the question? Any buyers' remorse? Would you do it again considering what you know now? Do you wish you had gone with the tried and trusted alternatives?

Looking forward to hearing from you ;-)
Hi Grenadilla, I love this vehicle since the very first contact. I bought it without any driving test. I am very happy with my Grenadier. My reccomandation is only one: do not forget it is a real off road with its own limits in terms of speed. By the way it is the closest replacement of the Legendary 110.
And it is very very european!

Let's know once you will decide!

AndreOne

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The rear seats sit too upright and there are no cup holders in the rear.

And for those of us without second row passengers - the rear seats don't sit upright enough.

Its all a matter of perspective. Pretty sure I'll soon follow @anand and move my second row seats to the utility position, so I can get a bit more room in the rear.

DENOGG-Fieldmaster

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
And for those of us without second row passengers - the rear seats don't sit upright enough.

Its all a matter of perspective. Pretty sure I'll soon follow @anand and move my second row seats to the utility position, so I can get a bit more room in the rear.
My rear seats are by default folded up.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Gx lexus, Gwagon, Gren... G stands for Gas....

First generation "G" - got to 😻 her (with her quirks ☺️ )

Local time
Reaction score
G means Gas.. or Diesel maybe, Flammable Liquid providing Energy that can be transported in Jerry Cans in areas w/o infrastructure. .. G means Gelände in German in this usage it means terrain that is not paved or accessible using public ground based infrastructure.
It was sarcasm... I know, I know .... you're German, and we ethnic Germans have a rough time with that, as most Germans don't inherit a funny gene in the DNA. Getting my cousins to snicker is always a challenge, as smiling to them is geistig behindert, But I've done it!

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Zimm Oh I understood very well .. mine was sarcasm too and a little whack against BEV .. With Gas you may go anywhere.. Or you need to put G-enerator on a trailer and feed it with G-as to get sufficient Amps. FCEV need Hydrogen Gas .. No Gas No Fun..

Icgreen3

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
The previous posts describe the Grenadier pretty well. Owning a Fieldmaster now 7 months and very litte issues. Sticky door knobs & boot shower. 20% off road (grass, unpaved, mud) 5% gravel and 75% on road varying condition.
Fun to drive. Never purchase a Grenadier w/o rough package. Always full set of difflocks. Getting these aftermarket is merely impossible.
Boot shower ? Is that really happening meaning water inside the vehicle ? I have an order. I had an LR3 with the passenger side foot well wet and swore I'd never do it again. Thoughts?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Boot shower ? Is that really happening meaning water inside the vehicle ? I have an order. I had an LR3 with the passenger side foot well wet and swore I'd never do it again. Thoughts?
Haha.. no there is no water inside the vehicle. As the Grenadier has a double door seal there is a bit of water piling up from outside in door. So when you open the door there is a bit of water pouring down on boots if you stand too close. in the meantime the problem disappeared on drivers door on only rare on co drivers door as the seals are now used in. It appears only on rear doors. But there is no water on inside of vehicle.. I assume the water is between inner and outer seal. There are some posts here on this topic and how to resolve this.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Search for the thread called “wet feet” and give yourself about an hour to read it all.

In essence, the outer seal on the door can come lose and let in water between the two seals. It doesn’t find its way into the vehicle and is easily fixed by a dealer or yourself by sticking the seal back.

Some vehicles have it and some don’t.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
The door wash issues seem to be getting sorted. The other water ingress issues that a few are having appear to be more difficult (safari windows, front windscreen, rear door, AC evaporator cooling return line). I’m sure Ineos is working on identifying and creating permanent solutions for these.

BUT, if Ineos releases a workshop manual similar to the one attached, we’re screwed:

Attachments

• Land_Rover_Defender_Water_Ingress_Manual.pdf
    565.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
The door wash issues seem to be getting sorted. The other water ingress issues that a few are having appear to be more difficult (safari windows, front windscreen, rear door, AC coolant return line). I’m sure Ineos is working on identifying and creating permanent solutions for these.

BUT, if Ineos releases a workshop manual similar to the one attached, we’re screwed:
Something I have handy at times too. :ROFLMAO:

Local time
Reaction score
My advice is to test drive one for a whole day first. Then compare with all the vehicles that are on your like list and see which one is weighs up the best for you. We’re all different and we use for different purposes.
I did for an hour or so, mostly on-road as that is where the concern potentially lay, as the off-road creds were undoubted. I liked it, was not overly concerned, but it was different for sure, tks for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom