The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Utility Belt

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
Something Ineos could look at - the edges of the utilty belt sit away from the body side - leaves a gap for debris, in my case fine conifer seeds, to drop into:
View attachment 7817807
That gap is going to collect a massive amount of road dust/grit/debris that will slowly filter down and lodge behind the plastic belt.

I think that is poor fit & finish - it should be a snug fit.

I assume the belt is not loose or has something wedged behind it making it sit proud?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
That gap is going to collect a massive amount of road dust/grit/debris that will slowly filter down and lodge behind the plastic belt.
I think that's what's already happening with mine.
I think that is poor fit & finish - it should be a snug fit.
Yes, I think it's more of a design issue rather than bad installation.
I assume the belt is not loose or has something wedged behind it making it sit proud?
I think it's to do with the double steps they've stamped into the doors:
IMG_20230626_062207.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can you see if there is open space behind the gaps to allow for spraying it out? And if so, will the debris get caught inside the body or run out freely To the ground and not accumulat?
I think I might have found a justification for one of these:
Post in thread 'Tyre inflator advice' https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/tyre-inflator-advice.12352489/post-1333181050

And I'll be able to answer my own question:
Post in thread 'Tyre inflator advice' https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/tyre-inflator-advice.12352489/post-1333181059

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This may be a ridiculous question, but could that crack be caulked with some sort of marine sealant/caulk (Sample)? Would have to be done and cleaned very carefully, I know.
Yes, I guess it could but then becomes a maintenance nightmare.

I think a rubber (or similar material) gasket might also work. If you look closely at the surround of the roof bars there's something similar sits around the circumference to keep a nice tight sealing edge:
343438454_246153501307038_4658513111354671175_n.jpg

Interestingly, it wasn't there on earlier vehicles, so has been introduced to perhaps fix such an issue as described here:
first-contact-we-got-hands-on-with-the-ineos-grenadier-p1-and-p2_64.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And if the standard rub strip also collects debris?
Well if the gaps are like this, then I think it might be worse:
PXL_20230212_061434427.jpg

But for the doors, then yes, I think the issue is very similar:
FB_IMG_1664952696035.jpg

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have looked but can't find this information anywhere so my apologies in advance if it exists.

Does anyone know of a generic bracket that fits between the grabrail and the utility belt behind the rear wheels. I have seen a few brackets for specific solutions, but I am looking for something I can use to fit some of my special needs to.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
@Andrew Kilby I hope I understood right and you are looking for fitting for the belt?
Here‘s a link to a german online shop.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Andrew Kilby I hope I understood right and you are looking for fitting for the belt?
Here‘s a link to a german online shop.

Thanks for your help. However, it is not quite what i am looking for. I am looking for a bracket which will span between the grab rails and the utility belt. The L Track fittings you mention will be a part of that but not the whole solution.

Thanks again.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. However, it is not quite what i am looking for. I am looking for a bracket which will span between the grab rails and the utility belt. The L Track fittings you mention will be a part of that but not the whole solution.

Thanks again.
Black sheep make a molle panel that does that. And expedition HQ in Qld Australia are also making something

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I'm still a bit confused by the external utility belt.
Can anyone demonstrate how it will be used?
To me it seems that any proposed use will either, damage the paint (imagine a shovel or axe mounted on the side body), and/or prevent the doors from being opened (imagine maxxtrax or fishing rods that are longer than the width of the door mounted on a door).
I'm also struggling to imagine more than two or three possible applications.
Is anyone else a little confused too - or am I just being daft.
I'd love to see some images of a utility belt being 'utilised', or even just some ideas/plans.
Thanks in advance, Guardsmen.
Henry
Australia
I was directly involved in a discussion about these rails at the doors (I guess it was 2019 or 2020, I do not know exactly) with Ineos.

My statement was: "If someone would consider that as useful, I would have seen it once in the 15 years I'm active in the 4x4 community on some occasion, at fairs, while traveling or any other event. Someone would have mounted such rails, which are so common and well known and which you often find (but not on side doors). If anyone would have seen any sense in that. But I have never seen a single car with rails on the doors.

When you go camping with a car of that size the side doors are the ones which are opened and closed many times to get stuff out and in the car (getting to the fridge in the second row or to storage or to throw the chairs in when it starts to rain etc.). It makes no sense to attach something there, while stationary. While driving it is not legal to attach things there on public roads in many countries. While on tracks or doing serious offroading I consider the rails just as collectors of dirt, branches (which lead to scratches), etc.
In case you're standing inclined on a slope having load attached to the doors, that will make them not managable. If you ever needed to open a side door (especially these heavy and ultra-robust doors of the IG) while standing inclined on a slope, you know how heavy and difficult it will become to open the door or to hold it open while you crawl out (Attention: getting hit or squeezed by such a heavy door can end up in a very bad experience). If you put additional weight on it, lets say a 6 kg fluid container...have fun opening the door and trying that it not crashes back into into the car (or you)."

I would be interested if anybody who considers these rails as useful has mounted such rails on his 4x4s in the past? If not, why are these rails are so welcome now? It doesn't take much of a genius to develop such an idea on my own. Especialy for people who tend to modify an optimze their 4x4. However, I never came across this, not while camping not while driving a trophy.

These rails just make the production more complex and expensive, while the usefullnes is in question. If it would have been clear to everyone what these are for, we wouldn't see some discussions about these rails here. I think it will end up like many other camping stuff. You go into the shop, buy this and that, all that fancy stuff but over time, with increasing experience, you filter out what is essential, what is practical and what was just a waste of time and money.

These rails are the pure idea of someone who like the car to look like a All-Time-Ready-Trophy car without any experience in camping, as this person prefers to sleep in his own hotel. However, my thoughts on this, of course, had no weight, as I'm not the sponsor of the Grenadier and the guy seems to be right, as these rails seem to attract a lot of people.

Actually I read the German Camel Trophy book by Nick Dimbleby, Andreas Berger and Volker Lapp which covers the complete Camel Trophy history very deep in detail. All the cars and their equipment are shown and discussed. No door rails... I know Volker personally, I'll ask him what he thinks about the rails.

AWo

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I was directly involved in a discussion about these rails at the doors
Good points, although I must admit that I also ordered the rails.

However, I never thought they would be useful for carrying or storing anything of large size and/or weight, especially on the doors. But I do find them useful for mounting a GoPro camera in any position. I just don't trust a suction cup mount for a €400 device.

I don't know if I'll ever use it more than a few times. But it's better to have it than to need it.

However, at €467 (at the time), the rail cost about as much as my GoPro cost. They don't rely on a clean, flat surface like a suction cup mount does - and so it's fine with me. And maybe they're a good way to mount a flashlight or work light, too. But you're right, I can't think of much else.

So you're probably right about the economic overkill.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
I was directly involved in a discussion about these rails at the doors (I guess it was 2019 or 2020, I do not know exactly) with Ineos.
Good points, although I must admit that I also ordered the rails.
I simply choose to not install anything that will increase the width of the vehicle, or present more opportunities for trail damage. So no external rails for me.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I simply choose to not install anything that will increase the width of the vehicle, or present more opportunities for trail damage. So no external rails for me.
I’ve gone for the utility rails as I thought it was a good idea at the time. No idea what I will use them for. I’m waiting for some inspiration from the forum

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:39 AM
Reaction score
I’ve gone for the utility rails as I thought it was a good idea at the time. No idea what I will use them for. I’m waiting for some inspiration from the forum
Hi Logsplitter, I ordered them too because they look so damm good on the Grenadier. Hoping to find good use for them too. Perhaps strapping a surfboard to the side of my vehicle. DaBull

Alprider

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another possible use I can think of given the departure of the Defender, I'm guessing a certain island's ministry of defence might like to have the option of mounting armour plates on otherwise soft skinned vehicles so they don't repeat the landrover snatch debacle?

Also the off the shelf light blue colour is remarkably similar to UN peacekeeper colour, so the above works for them also?

Just my 2 cents..

My statement was: "If someone would consider that as useful, I would have seen it once in the 15 years I'm active in the 4x4 community on some occasion, at fairs, while traveling or any other event. Someone would have mounted such rails, which are so common and well known and which you often find (but not on side doors). If anyone would have seen any sense in that. But I have never seen a single car with rails on the doors.

When you go camping with a car of that size the front doors are the ones which are opened and closed many times to get stuff out and in the car. It makes no sense to attach something there, while stationary. While driving it is not legal to attach things there on public roads in many countries. While on tracks or doing serious offroading I consider the rails just as collectors of dirt, branches (which lead to scratches), etc.
In case you're standing inclined on a slope having load attached to the doors, that will make them not managable. If you ever needed to open a side door (especially these heavy and ultra-robust doors of the IG) while standing inclined on a slope, you know how heavy and difficult it will become to open the door or to hold it open while you crawl out (Attention: getting hit or squeezed by such a heavy door can end up in a very bad experience). If you put additional weight on it, lets say a 6 kg fluid container...have fun opening the door and trying that it not crashes back into into the car (or you)."

I would be interested if anybody who considers these rails as useful has mounted such rails on his 4x4s in the past? If not, why are these rails are so welcome now? It doesn't take much of a genius to develop such an idea on my own. Especialy for people who tend to modify an optimze their 4x4. However, I never came across this, not while camping not while driving a trophy.

These rails just make the production more complex and expensive, while the usefullnes is in question. If it would have been clear to everyone what these are for, we wouldn't see some discussions about these rails here. I think it will end up like many other camping stuff. You go into the shop, buy this and that, all that fancy stuff but over time, with increasing experience, you filter out what is essential, what is practical and what was just a waste of time and money.

These rails are the pure idea of someone who like the car to look like a All-Time-Ready-Trophy car without any experience in camping, as this person prefers to sleep in his own hotel. However, my thoughts on this, of course, had no weight, as I'm not the sponsor of the Grenadier and the guy seems to be right, as these rails seem to attract a lot of people.

Actually I read the German Camel Trophy book by Nick Dimbleby, Andreas Berger and Volker Lapp which covers the complete Camel Trophy history very deep in detail. All the cars and their equipment are shown and discussed. No door rails... I know Volker personally, I'll ask him what he thinks about the rails

Fab

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I didn't order them, because I had no clue what to use them for.
Yesterday I went to the agent to see my car for real and, guess what, I got them anyway... for free...
and suddenly I have to figure out what use them for.
I think I will stick some spare fittings on them for "the looks".

Back
Top Bottom