The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Hunters Corner Rod n Gun Club Topics

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
A S&W.. 686 I assume 6" ? Nice. hope you like it.. the grip handle is tres chic

Yesterday I was the first time since about March 22 on the Trap range .. shooting Shotgun "olympic style" Means you call the clay disk by voice and the shotgun already in the shoulder .. speed varying between 60 & 90 metres per sec and random direction. - Got 18 out of 25 twice. For not doing any training on this and using a hunting O/U shotgun with shorter barrels and not a sports one with special tuning .. it was a quite satisfying experience.
Yes 686 International
Not sold in the US I believe, export only.
6" and I like the unfluted cylinder, matt finish and black trigger and hammer
I added the extended cylinder release and LPA fibre sights.
I have had some tuning done to the action and it is so smooth.
I loaded with a mixture as it was a training/fun session with 38, 357 and empty cylinders as a mix some times.
Just to check flinching and trigger control
Double taps were fun and produced 1" groups
Going to add a red dot as the rear sight is designed to take it in addition to the fibre
Green rear and red front makes it so easy to get a quick sight picture on an open air range

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:57 PM
Reaction score
This week I have to see the range to verify my .45 ACP pistol, I ve got an aristocrat rear sight on that one.. it need to be verified once more. That is rather not a sidearm for hunting but rather a pure sports pistol.. it acts like a prima donna, - very sensitive to dirt, proper service and ammunition. But if everything okay.. even on 50yards / metres it will do a precise job.
At the moment I am toying around with another system.. .. however I see it also mostly from a sporty perspective not for hunting. Ever heard of Norlite? That is a conversion kit for Glock to make it a carbine in 9x19 .. I think in US this is rather a topic as it may be seen as a SBR (Short Barrelled Rifle) and hence highly taxed or special permission required
But its a lot of fun.. with reddot.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
I had reported that I wanted to hunt from the roof of Gren. This is allowed in Germany. So the idea was to build something that is simple, quiet and practical. I made myself (or a friend) 4 steel cups as feet. 4 square timbers and cross connections. A rubber mat very light and a swivel chair. Camouflage netting and done. See photos. My carpenter helped me with the tap connections. He has the better tools.

Attachments

• IMG_7966.jpeg
    IMG_7966.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7848.jpeg
    IMG_7848.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7943.jpeg
    IMG_7943.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7940.jpeg
    IMG_7940.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7866.jpeg
    IMG_7866.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7865.jpeg
    IMG_7865.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7841.jpeg
    IMG_7841.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7839.jpeg
    IMG_7839.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7867.jpeg
    IMG_7867.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 34

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh we have really bad damage in the corn. Last night I sat on top of the car until 1am. At 1:30 a.m., the district neighbor reports that the wild boar went to exactly this corn loft.
Its always like so - sometimes they just wait until you leave or 5 minutes later.. This year there are only 2 corn areas and directly adjacent to a village - in an area under 100m - to inhabited dwellings. No way. - No shooting permitted. also No compensation on damage. In out lease contract its strictly defined - no compensation in an area were we not allowed to shoot, - also no corn compensated if corn, wheat or similar is adjacent to forest. There must be a minimum line of 15yards of low grass between forestal and any of this to shoot in between.
If we demand - an electric fence must be deployed. Best of luck to get the boar - and Waidmannsheil.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
Its always like so - sometimes they just wait until you leave or 5 minutes later.. This year there are only 2 corn areas and directly adjacent to a village - in an area under 100m - to inhabited dwellings. No way. - No shooting permitted. also No compensation on damage. In out lease contract its strictly defined - no compensation in an area were we not allowed to shoot, - also no corn compensated if corn, wheat or similar is adjacent to forest. There must be a minimum line of 15yards of low grass between forestal and any of this to shoot in between.
If we demand - an electric fence must be deployed. Best of luck to get the boar - and Waidmannsheil.
That sounds good in your Jagdrevier. Not here. You are welcome for hunting ;)

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That sounds good in your Jagdrevier. Not here. You are welcome for hunting ;)
Hunting in Vogelsberg area close to town of Nidda. our team lead - "Beständer" who is paying half the lease, (I am one third) and the others the rest - is a quite good negotiator and is a huntsman for over 40 years, also Africa / Canada and elsewhere. He knows the farmers quite well.. Most of the farmers are quite fair and cooperative but now and then there is one guy who tries to be extra clever. Cameras, Drones, Thermal Imaging.. we know quite well what is going on there. But there is well a chance we can meet and hunt together.. Tomorrow I am again out in our area, - need get down and prune some tree branches - Some areas on a high hide are blocked.. Forestry and sometimes gardening work.. needed..

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Well done, @Barney. You're really pushing things forward. (y)

Dr. John

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:57 PM
Reaction score
@klarie curious how you like the .308 and what kind of ranges you usually see? I'm considering 6.5 Creedmoor or .308 Win for deer and other small game here in the western United States.
Creedmoor 6.5 was a disappointment for me. I like and have two other 6.5’s, SE and -284. I roll my own and couldn’t get the Creedmoor’s 2100 ft.lbs without pressure problems. With copper it was even worse and short on length. Stick with .308 or 7-08 out to 300yds. For longer range artillery, 30-06, .270 or .280.

Klarie, Get the IG full length roof platform and make a four sided collapsible hide with marine ply. Hinge the bases of the sides on the roof rack in a square. When on the move, the sides will be folded down, one on top of the other and very low. To put it up, lift the sides to the vertical and secure the corners. Good luck!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
Creedmoor 6.5 was a disappointment for me. I like and have two other 6.5’s, SE and -284. I roll my own and couldn’t get the Creedmoor’s 2100 ft.lbs without pressure problems. With copper it was even worse and short on length. Stick with .308 or 7-08 out to 300yds. For longer range artillery, 30-06, .270 or .280.

Klarie, Get the IG full length roof platform and make a four sided collapsible hide with marine ply. Hinge the bases of the sides on the roof rack in a square. When on the move, the sides will be folded down, one on top of the other and very low. To put it up, lift the sides to the vertical and secure the corners. Good luck!
I used to shoot with an Omark full bore target rifle for hunting, with a Harris Bi-pod and a 3-9 x 54 scope.
this was a - half MOA target rifle that I had adapted.
As it was single shot with a fully floating barrel I carried a second shot between my third and fourth fingers and a 5 shot leather cuff n my left wrist.
It was good out to 1200 metres depending on target.
hunting with a single shot make you think before shooting.
this video isn't me but i used to catch the brass exactly the same.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Qi3Qf1U0xdU

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I eco your thoughts on the 6.5 Cm . It does very well in ranges up to 600-800m with lead . With Copper also does great with barnes ltx but needs decoppering very often to keep on the accuracy and consistent pressures .
For hunting i prefer .30-06 for anything on the european continent i have taken deer and boar no issues at all nice punchy round that drops anything i point it at .
For Africa my go to is 300WM it will do everything when it comes to plains game . If you want to graduate to the big stuff you will need something bigger . :)
For silly long range between one km and one mile i have to say i trust my 300 norma for the task .

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had reported that I wanted to hunt from the roof of Gren. This is allowed in Germany. So the idea was to build something that is simple, quiet and practical. I made myself (or a friend) 4 steel cups as feet. 4 square timbers and cross connections. A rubber mat very light and a swivel chair. Camouflage netting and done. See photos. My carpenter helped me with the tap connections. He has the better tools.
Goos job Barney well done !! I showed this idea to a few friends . Lets just say we are all very jealous !! Great thinking. !!!!

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The area where I hunt is 80% forestal and some 20% agricultural.. The agricultural space is a litte bit bigger but cannot be really used for hunting as it is too close to inhabited area. (When I need to shoot there I must discuss this with the hunting authority and the locals. I am fed up with bureau-crazy) The max distance is somewhat 340m on a grass land inside the forest.
Regulatory in Germany means minimum E100 (Energy in 100m distance of Muzzle) 1000 J for Roe and 2000J for Boar, Red deer, Sika, etc.
Only predators (fox, Badger, Racoon and rodents Rabbit, hare may be shot with less than 1000J or shot)
The exception are solids from a shotgun (slugs) - are valid on any animal legal to hunt.

The Creedmoor seems to have sufficient energy. I bougt my Blaser R8 a couple of years ago.. the setup with 2 barrels, Suppressor, 2 scopes (one for High Hide and single hunt, the other setup for driven hunt. plus Thermal vision was pretty expensive. I wanted a reliable, established, proven, easy to get, easy to reload universal round at reasonable cost that does the job. I use Sako Super Hammer Head.
. On Alsfeld range 300m. I tested it E300 is still 2020J All hit in less than on inch.

What I do with Grenadier as a hunting stand. - I will see.. first of all I need to get it built and delivered. Its September now.
According to contract it should be the Month of action.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The area where I hunt is 80% forestal and some 20% agricultural.. The agricultural space is a litte bit bigger but cannot be really used for hunting as it is too close to inhabited area. (When I need to shoot there I must discuss this with the hunting authority and the locals. I am fed up with bureau-crazy) The max distance is somewhat 340m on a grass land inside the forest.
Regulatory in Germany means minimum E100 (Energy in 100m distance of Muzzle) 1000 J for Roe and 2000J for Boar, Red deer, Sika, etc.
Only predators (fox, Badger, Racoon and rodents Rabbit, hare may be shot with less than 1000J or shot)
The exception are solids from a shotgun (slugs) - are valid on any animal legal to hunt.

The Creedmoor seems to have sufficient energy. I bougt my Blaser R8 a couple of years ago.. the setup with 2 barrels, Suppressor, 2 scopes (one for High Hide and single hunt, the other setup for driven hunt. plus Thermal vision was pretty expensive. I wanted a reliable, established, proven, easy to get, easy to reload universal round at reasonable cost that does the job. I use Sako Super Hammer Head.
. On Alsfeld range 300m. I tested it E300 is still 2020J All hit in less than on inch.

What I do with Grenadier as a hunting stand. - I will see.. first of all I need to get it built and delivered. Its September now.
According to contract it should be the Month of action.
Blasers the Grenadiers of the gun world . Build on purpose and do what they say on the tin .

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Blasers the Grenadiers of the gun world . Build on purpose and do what they say on the tin .
The R8 yes.. its predecessor the R93 got some issues In particular with powerful rounds.
I possess an R93 for pest control in .17HMR One of the rarest R93's at all .
But the result on racoon and other pest with immediate effect. Since then we ve got a bird life back. The coons mostly appear in a pack. Pretty quiet - until the bears recognise being under attack - 4 or 5 are already downed.

But yes the Blaser has for a repeating rifle a few advantages. Take down just one Allen Key needed - 2 allen screws than cant get lost.
Trigger and Mag out, Straight action out, and barrel down. The scope saddle mount is just 2 rotating clamps. Expensive compared to a Tikka or other.. and built to last.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sako .222 and .270 for the win!

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The R8 yes.. its predecessor the R93 got some issues In particular with powerful rounds.
I possess an R93 for pest control in .17HMR One of the rarest R93's at all .
But the result on racoon and other pest with immediate effect. Since then we ve got a bird life back. The coons mostly appear in a pack. Pretty quiet - until the bears recognise being under attack - 4 or 5 are already downed.

But yes the Blaser has for a repeating rifle a few advantages. Take down just one Allen Key needed - 2 allen screws than cant get lost.
Trigger and Mag out, Straight action out, and barrel down. The scope saddle mount is just 2 rotating clamps. Expensive compared to a Tikka or other.. and built to last.
Love the R8 and the fact that it always returns to zero no matter how many pieces you had it in .
That said i have to say that i am more prone to picking up my sauer 404 from the cabinet when i am going hunting . Feels more natural to me .

Both great engineering wonders in my eyes .

Back
Top Bottom