The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Hunters Corner Rod n Gun Club Topics

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
I've been wondering what the hunters have been planning for hauling home the carcass. The advantage of a pickup truck.
As of now - I ve got a rear basket made of anodized steel on the towing ball. (example however in German) - The body itself is also in a plastic bin inside the basket.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
As of now - I ve got a rear basket made of anodized steel on the towing ball. (example however in German) - The body itself is also in a plastic bin inside the basket.

Thanks for that example - I use something similar specifically to avoid the spread of ticks if carcasses are otherwise carried within the vehicle.

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah ticks - and in particular roe deer may have a lot picked up. They spread - Mengino - Enzephalitis and Borellia Recurrentis ..
However when ticks suck at roe deer - the ticks risk of infection gets eliminated. There is something in roe blood that eliminates the carrier.
In Germany State Forrest and Goverment has movements to treat roe deer as pest because they feed on young beeches and other trees.
So blame an animal for own operative mistakes. (Green idea) - in an area of 50.000 square meters of forest there is rarely a roe to find now.
The result is tick will become more infectious now.

For the same reason - I use the basket and a plastic bin - outside .. also - if dogs are in the vehicle (even in a dog box) and the body as well. No..
I was considering a pickup.. instead of IG.
However driving a pickup with little load (in particular in muddy areas) - that is insufficient weight on rear axle.
Difficult to monitor - even if the rear is covered and the dogs on the load area so what is going on there ?
Also it lacks the multipurpose capability. I know enough fellow hunters eg, with a VW pickup who got stuck in mud.

Most of the pickups here have a relatively short loading area. So thats useless for my purpose.. Eg a ladder or long timber will always be longer than loading bay.
For the time I need some more space - I tow a trailer with sufficient length instead. That was another purpose of IG - the vehicle is more universal in purpose than a pickup.
If I had a safe place close or inside the hunting terrain - There were more options like an old Unimog of Bundeswehr with attached hydraulic lift / crane .
Or Side by Side ATV or an Argos ATV. Instead we 've got a flat trailer .. lots cheaper to operate, more universal than any other special purpose vehicle that is only needed in a few occasions a year.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
What I need for shooting in UK is lockable drawers in the boot to fit a dismantled shotgun or dismantled rifle such as Blaser R8. The boot seems too short for an assembled shotgun or rifle. For each gun I have a lockable case. So the locked box in the locked drawer meets the police requirements for a locked box in a locked box (I’m told that there is legal dispute as to whether the vehicle itself is a locked box). Then, on top of the drawers, I need a dog box with a partition to separate the dogs. In my case that is because one dog keeps licking the other dog’s ears but other reasons would be dog and bitch, dogs that don’t get on or giving a lift to another person with a dog that is unknown to mine.

These folk based in Telford could do a custom job for a Grenny similar to below, that may suit your needs:

Dogs & Drawers.jpg

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
On request to serve the hunters, fish lovers with a discussion thread I create this one.
The IG shall replace my current companion LR Disco in hunting ..
Other companions are a Blaser R8, Swarovski Scope, a Suppressor in .308 Win with focus on boar.. sus scrofus..
The real wild pig not the pest of former domestic hog in southern US.. also I try to keep raccoon at bay as thy are attack amphibious life forms and ground breeding birds..

happy discussion..
like to hear what you do.. recipes.. issues.. hunting dogs, night vision, transportation of firearms in IG. Or what ever you are interested in.
Thanks for starting the thread about hunting. My idea is hunting from the car roof. And the corresponding structure will be worked out when the car is here. No less interesting is the equipment, weapons, ammunition, optics, night vision, thermal imagers, etc. in other countries. Hunting from the roof is allowed in Germany and we have the problem that the hunters have to pay the farmer for damage caused by wild boar in the corn/wheat etc. My friend uses a Susuki Jimny with this roof structure (see photo) with good success. Waidmannheil Barney (among other things, I use a Heym straight-pull bolt-action .308 Win with a 10.7 g projectile double-core lead ammunition. Zeiss telescopic sight 50 mm 3-12, silencer. And a drilling and an over-and-under shotgun)

Attachments

• D6A6A0CA-8CEA-4239-B10B-1FE450B5188D.png
    D6A6A0CA-8CEA-4239-B10B-1FE450B5188D.png
    13.7 MB · Views: 41

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
These folk based in Telford could do a custom job for a Grenny similar to below, that may suit your needs:

View attachment 7799330

The guys at Animal Transit Boxes, who are the ones you reference, already have the dimensions for building the boxes and draws etc. I spoke to them a few months ago. It helps that the local Ineos agent (JT Hughes) are also in Telford.

I have a similar set up in my Amarok to that pictured. Helpfully the rear tailgate locks manually on a key which is like a deadlock and doesn’t open with the rest of the car. This means the draws are locked and then so it’s the tailgate. Only problem is if they take the whole car.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
… we have the problem that the hunters have to pay the farmer for damage caused by wild boar in the corn/wheat etc.
I’m sure I’m misunderstanding, but the hunter pays the farmer reparations for not killing the boar he’s hunting?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m sure I’m misunderstanding, but the hunter pays the farmer reparations for not killing the boar he’s hunting?
Indeed something like this.
hunting was before 1848 a regal. This means a royal privilege.
After the political changes the hunting is a right of the land owner, farmers etc.
However the minimum size of a hunting territory is 75,000 square meter.. in Germany and it has to be continuous ..
No other landowners in between.
Many landowners / farmers own less that size and also do not have a hunting license.. the test is far away from simple.
so landownets create a hunting cooperative and lease their land to hunters willing to pay.
Also.. if a hunter is somewhat lazy or allows to feed e.g. boar during summer on crops and perhaps take it later in Fall when grown on weight.. so more meat .. more ham .. so the job of a hunter in Germany is to keep damage on crops and forestry low, while preserving a healthy wild animal population and protect nature and environmen. that is what we should do according to law. Reality is a bit different.
Farmer: Kill all boar damagin my crops.
Forrester: Kill all Roe that bites and destroys the trees.
Tourist, urban humans, greens, how do you dare killing all these innocent Lifeforms.. those Racoons they re so cute..
So and we are somewhere in the middle.. if we do not monitor crops and corn.. we may be liable.. same to forest
However.. sometimes both farmers and forest must accept some damage as natural risk, they must leave some space for wildlife and some do try claims that effectively not caused by wildlife but cattle etc. or they crow crops in an area forbidden.. e.g where it is not possible to shoot. Pros and cons of regulation, law etc.. When you do the hunters training course in Germany there is a lot of law, hygienic procedure, food, diseases .. firearms.. but also topics like estimating damage, compensation and of course eligibility of damage..
usually we stop damage cost on a maximum fee per year. There are too many non predicable factors
but some hunters who lease are getting old or do not control their territory.. so there is a reason to motivate hunters by damage control and liability.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Indeed something like this.
hunting was before 1848 a regal. This means a royal privilege.
After the political changes the hunting is a right of the land owner, farmers etc.
However the minimum size of a hunting territory is 75,000 square meter.. in Germany and it has to be continuous ..
No other landowners in between.
Many landowners / farmers own less that size and also do not have a hunting license.. the test is far away from simple.
so landownets create a hunting cooperative and lease their land to hunters willing to pay.
Also.. if a hunter is somewhat lazy or allows to feed e.g. boar during summer on crops and perhaps take it later in Fall when grown on weight.. so more meat .. more ham .. so the job of a hunter in Germany is to keep damage on crops and forestry low, while preserving a healthy wild animal population and protect nature and environmen. that is what we should do according to law. Reality is a bit different.
Farmer: Kill all boar damagin my crops.
Forrester: Kill all Roe that bites and destroys the trees.
Tourist, urban humans, greens, how do you dare killing all these innocent Lifeforms.. those Racoons they re so cute..
So and we are somewhere in the middle.. if we do not monitor crops and corn.. we may be liable.. same to forest
However.. sometimes both farmers and forest must accept some damage as natural risk, they must leave some space for wildlife and some do try claims that effectively not caused by wildlife but cattle etc. or they crow crops in an area forbidden.. e.g where it is not possible to shoot. Pros and cons of regulation, law etc.. When you do the hunters training course in Germany there is a lot of law, hygienic procedure, food, diseases .. firearms.. but also topics like estimating damage, compensation and of course eligibility of damage..
usually we stop damage cost on a maximum fee per year. There are too many non predicable factors
but some hunters who lease are getting old or do not control their territory.. so there is a reason to motivate hunters by damage control and liability.
Thanks for explaining - a balancing act with not much space for incompetence or neglect by any party.
I used to get out on horseback and MTB around Teutoburg/Senne and wondered about such things.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining - a balancing act with not much space for incompetence or neglect by any party.
I used to get out on horseback and MTB around Teutoburg/Senne and wondered about such things.
I know the area.. lived in Paderborn & Greven, know Sennelager Training Area quite well.. ;) loong time ago..
In fact this is another reason for Grenadier. The conservation and inspection part need quite some time in the territory.
So what I will add will be some more charging outlets- - powerbank for drones, - thermal vision, etc.
Not in all cases I will directly drive to or walk to a certain set of shrubs and bushes or go across ceased (temporary not used for crops) land where wildlife can take its habit.
So I use the drone instead or view using thermal camera. That needs a lot of electric energy ( so 2nd battery was opted instantly no questions)

And flying over measures any damage .. sometimes a farmer tells the boar destroyed 500 sqm of corn. .. GPS and drone software pictures measure the real size.. - and 4k allows quite some details. Its often like so .. the claimed 500 sqm turnout to 30sqm in reality.. and when we look closer then its not a boar feeding itself on corn but a badger. - And badgers are excluded from compensation because the have a very limited hunting time. - and in the time when they go in corn - there is no hunting season on badger. Presenting the pictures - this means you see how corn is bitten. or any prints in ground. If there were pigs you would recognise immediately.

So take off - fly along the area in question - and only if it cannot be resolved by pictures from air.. we drive or walk there. So avoid passing human scent whenever possible.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
I know the area.. lived in Paderborn & Greven, know Sennelager Training Area quite well.. ;) loong time ago..
In fact this is another reason for Grenadier. The conservation and inspection part need quite some time in the territory.
So what I will add will be some more charging outlets- - powerbank for drones, - thermal vision, etc.
Not in all cases I will directly drive to or walk to a certain set of shrubs and bushes or go across ceased (temporary not used for crops) land where wildlife can take its habit.
So I use the drone instead or view using thermal camera. That needs a lot of electric energy ( so 2nd battery was opted instantly no questions)

And flying over measures any damage .. sometimes a farmer tells the boar destroyed 500 sqm of corn. .. GPS and drone software pictures measure the real size.. - and 4k allows quite some details. Its often like so .. the claimed 500 sqm turnout to 30sqm in reality.. and when we look closer then its not a boar feeding itself on corn but a badger. - And badgers are excluded from compensation because the have a very limited hunting time. - and in the time when they go in corn - there is no hunting season on badger. Presenting the pictures - this means you see how corn is bitten. or any prints in ground. If there were pigs you would recognise immediately.

So take off - fly along the area in question - and only if it cannot be resolved by pictures from air.. we drive or walk there. So avoid passing human scent whenever possible.
Who is responsible for resolving the inevitable disputes?

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
This is funny. I also lived in Paderborn once. Met my wife there. And as Klarie described, I also use a drone to estimate the damage in corn or wheat. @globalegregoren : If farmers and hunters do not agree, an expert comes into play. Usually it works without.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Who is responsible for resolving the inevitable disputes?
We 've got expert consultants on that topic - we 've got some in our club and hunters association. In very rare cases it gets a civil court case. Thats very rare. As of now, - we have one farmer that is a pure nuisance. He invested some money in a bio-methane / biofuel powerplant to create methane and electric energy from decomposing corn and other plant. Now that doesn't pay out as expected. - Also he is always near bankrupt. He leased some are of crops but refuses to pay the lease to the landowner. We ve got a high hide there to control the area. - We had an explict permit by landowner to have the hide there. .. So this special farmer forced us to remove the high hide and he threated me that he will destroy it if we not remove it. We took it away, rather complex construction erect 5m to allow bullet catching .. with trailer .. and Land Rover. (So you see tow capability is important for a hunting vehicle and a lot of equipment to erect and lay down of such constructions ) and support now another farmer who assisted us.
Little to guess what happend then. - Now the farmer demands compensation because of damage on crops by wildlife. However the area is rather flat. An elevated position to shoot safe is required. So he called the local branch of farmers association for support.. we explained what has happened.. and he received what he deserved. In any territory there at least one idiot - but the majority of farmers are quite knowing and hunters and farmers align quite well. No one wants a conflict but some try at least to lure out some money. But they realize quite fast their demand is not justified. Again - this means be as often as possible in the territory. No single hunter can monitor the territory entirely at any time. - So a good team, - and equipment is required. The rifle and other firearms are important - but technically indeed the least used tools. (Being carried yes.. used .. .. guess. ) What a hunter needs most, its the vehicle, binos and thermal vision.. and proper cloth and boots. Then ist knifes, axe, (chain-) saw.. and other wood work tools.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting winch arrangement in the rear:
My gunsmith has exactly the same location for rear winch on his Toyota HiLux. .. His territory has Red Deer and Boar resident .. I can’t do this neither in actual Disco nor in IG because it’s configured as five seat multi purpose vehicle. Also I do not want a body inside the car because of parasites etc.
So the rear winch shall be either on trailer or (removable) somewhere at rear near tow ball or so.. as of now no I ve got no idea what would be the optimal solution for my demand.. however I tend to an electric winch on trailer

Back
Top Bottom