The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Dreaded 10 pin plug

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Any info on the diode type/specs?
Not too sure will depend on the draw of all the lights on the circuit... I'll be looking at 6amp diodes which should be heaps but I'll add all the lights up to be sure (if I can find the info of each light that is but mine are LED so won't be too much so I might go smaller.)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not too sure will depend on the draw of all the lights on the circuit... I'll be looking at 6amp diodes which should be heaps but I'll add all the lights up to be sure (if I can find the info of each light that is but mine are LED so won't be too much so I might go smaller.)
1N4004 only good for 1Amp continuous from memory

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
Ineos Australia responded to my trailer socket/plug question which was most welcome. (Thanks Justin)

For Australia the brake controller wire (service brake) will be allocated to pin 12 on the Euro socket.

If you wish to retain the old Aussie 7 flat plug on your trailer (which really defeats the purpose of having the best trailer socket on the car and worst plug on the trailer IMHO :ROFLMAO:) then a quality 13 to 7 adaptor will work. This would mean buying an adaptor that has the diodes built in and I believe the Narva one has this - some of the cheap ones might or might not have diodes.. who knows...

If your trailer/caravan has left and right side light and tail lights joined together which is typical in Australia and you wish to change your trailer/caravan plug to the far superior 13 Euro plug, then you will need to buy the 13 Euro plug and put diodes in the wires of the side/tail lights that are joined so there is no voltage feedback to the vehicle.

Ineos recommend leaving the vehicle as standard which means placing the diodes in the wiring of the trailer/caravan. Easy as. Here's an example I found of two diodes in a 7 flat socket - just an example as mine will be the 13 Euro round trailer plug. Hope this helps the trailer wire situ in Aus at least.

On an aside... your brake controller will likely need a diode also and if you are using Redarc it is placed in the red wire. (redarc sell their diode with instructions)

View attachment 7816466
Pin 12 for electric brakes was also what I was told by Ineos Australia last year…….. but if pin 12 is missing on the vehicle side, what pin will they use? Pin 2 seems to be the consensus option for other makes with a 13 pin EU plug.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi TomDoc, Just for clarification, in regard to the vehicle female socket, the diagram at your post 11 is looking directly at the
female plug from standing at the rear of the vehicle and your post of the female plug at your post 8 is looking at it from the
backside of the female plug. Reason I am asking is those two diagrams are mirror reversed if you look closely. One from one
view Rear towards front and the other front towards rear. Please clarify if you can what view if post 8 from and what view is post
11 from. Thanks, DaBull
Hi @DaBull

So to clarify, the plug is the thing at the end of a cable in your hand when connecting up a trailer and the socket is the contraption at the back of the vehicle. The diagrams are shown looking directly at the front face of each of these components. So that is why they are mirror images. As it says on the smaller picture, this is the front of the socket on the vehicle (which equates to the back of the plug)

1686325640901-png.7815617

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Pin 12 for electric brakes was also what I was told by Ineos Australia last year…….. but if pin 12 is missing on the vehicle side, what pin will they use? Pin 2 seems to be the consensus option for other makes with a 13 pin EU plug.

Cheers
Steve
Interesting enough, I've converted all my plug/sockets to the 13 Euro years ago, tired of the faults/falling out etc and in doing so wired my service brakes to pin 2 as you said. But that was just luck that I used pin 2 in that I had no need for the fog light and swapped many other pins around to cater for rear van camera - but it's unique for my vehicle and I keep a diagram in the glovebox - not ideal. If we were to keep the vehicle socket standard (to EU) as in the 13 Euro diagram, the only 'spare' pin is 12 so makes sense using this for the brake controller. Yes you'll have to supply your own pins to fill some of the vacant ones and maybe Redarc or whoever supplies a harness for their controller might throw this in but I've ordered another maypole socket for around $20au and will take the pins from that or more likely swap the socket out completely (as I'll still be sorting the vans rear camera). It would be interesting to see how the Narva adaptor works i.e. what pin in the Euro plug does pin 5 (brakes) of the Aussie plug relate to?

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Finally identified the 13 pin trailer plug (yes the one with only 10 pins) It's a Plastimat brand, Model USC P13 with straight grommet. Their code is 781 300 310. They do list 'contact sleeves' as spare parts BUT is seems if you want to use all 13 rather than the 10, then you'll need to purchase the main body as the 'pins', 13 of them... (except for the I.G. which has 10) are an integral part of the body. (Due to it's impressive waterproofing design.) Anyway, for those interested link is below. Likely easiest to purchase a whole new socket rather than sleeves, body, wire grommets etc however I cannot find the whole socket or parts thereof as retail anywhere and they are not available as an Ineos part.. not in Aus at least. If anyone can source this be greatly appreciated.

1694240211698.png

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Great find.👏

I'm trying to match up this drawing to the parts they list.

Socket housing with cover 781 300 100 x 1
Contact sleeve 1-2,5mm² 781 200 820 x 3 (or smaller size)
Single wire seal 1-2,5mm² 781 200 840 x 3 (or smaller size)

Being the bits that are required if you can't just get the 3 additional pins to inject (press?) into the existing socket housing?

perfekt_p13_explo_en.jpg
Screenshot_20230909_081809.jpg

Last edited:

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great find.👏

Being the bits that are required if you can't just get the 3 additional pins to inject (press?) into the existing socket housing?

View attachment 7826310
View attachment 7826312

Great find.👏

View attachment 7826310
View attachment 7826312

Yes, great design and truly waterproof it would seem. Just not readily available, certainly unknown in Aus. (I can't find it at least)

Appears the housing normally comes with 13 female 'pins' built or 'injected' in to the housing as they say. If one needs all 13 pins as I do, I suspect the best way around it is to simply buy the complete socket 'set' as they call it - but where to buy is the issue... I've installed everything I need in my grenny now except the rear right panel remains off waiting to complete the wiring for this socket. Head of I.G. Aus is on to it but doesn't seem an easy task... I had thought it would simply be a spare part to purchase? What if one is damaged in an accident? Onwards and upwards, getting there slowly... 😀

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update: Pins from the Plastimat trailer plug easily come out with a dedicated tool or small driver as in the image below. There are 2 small tabs that need to be slightly bent in (and bent back out if re-inserting). A dealer in Aus was kind enough to give me a cut off socket and I was able to reuse the pins for my purpose. Now I have all 13 pins being used, +1 for trailer brake, +3 for rear caravan camera. I haven't been able to source new pins but they are available as below. Note the diagram of the socket from Plastimat could be a little confusing without the socket in front of you, it is easier than it looks.

contact.jpgsocket 1.jpgsocket 2.jpgsocket3.jpg

Further update from Redarc:

You can purchase these from the following links:

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/produ...topart_dkc_buynow&site=us&TEdistID=2186816674

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/963292-1/745035

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom