The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Dreaded 10 pin plug

Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
Just got this from Ineos
[ Ticket: 102372 ] Missing pins
icon_blank_contact_75.png

Ineos Customer Service <customerservice@ineosgrenadier.com>
To:
09/06/23 10:32

CASE REFERENCE: 102372

Hi

I hope this email finds you well.

I have sent over a request to our technical advisor in head office who have advised we are not missing any pins and this is standard. Should you require more technical help in regards to your Grenadier, as mentioned on our call. I would also speak to your dealership to see if they can offer more assistance for you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,
Mark Elliot

INEOS Grenadier Customer Service

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:50 PM
Reaction score

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just got this from Ineos

To:

Hi

I have sent over a request to our technical advisor in head office who have advised we are not missing any pins and this is standard. Should you require more technical help in regards to your Grenadier, as mentioned on our call. I would also speak to your dealership to see if they can offer more assistance for you.

Thanks,
Mark Elliot

I've received similar of sorts and I suspect it stems from engineers being really smart but not experienced end users... that's ok, onwards and upwards. I've ordered a spare 13 socket (not 10)🤣 and I'll either transfer 3 pins from this new one or simply replace the whole socket and have 13 pins available... easy as.... 😀

Local time
Reaction score
I've received similar of sorts and I suspect it stems from engineers being really smart but not experienced end users... that's ok, onwards and upwards. I've ordered a spare 13 socket (not 10)🤣 and I'll either transfer 3 pins from this new one or simply replace the whole socket and have 13 pins available... easy as.... 😀
Yes but are there 13 wires there?? and what about. the integration into the ABS trailer sway control you don't won't that working against you.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes but are there 13 wires there?? and what about. the integration into the ABS trailer sway control you don't won't that working against you.
I'll be using the extra 3 pins for trailer rear view camera.. power and video feed that is and I'll sort the wiring out.. won't affect abs etc..

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Presumably you will have to somehow splice into the loom? Or are there three redundant extra wires just waiting to be connected?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just got this from Ineos

To:

Hi

Thanks,
Mark Elliot

They are are despicable. Twice they confirmed to me the spec for the plug, full 13 pins, including power for caravan fridge and battery. The second time just before I paid my £2500 deposit balance. They told me the power inverter had been dropped but I decided to continue. We are mushrooms as far as Ineos are concerned, they call us VIP’s and just sh*t on us time and again.
Made some enquiries re road worthiness and mot testing yesterday. The safety warnings, airbags, seatbelts, abs ,etc are an immediate fail. When told it has been this way from new, they believed it was not roadworthy and asked what my insurance thought of it. I beat a hasty retreat at that stage👎

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1686325213047.png

So this one above is looking at the front of a "male" plug

The one below is looking directly at the "female" vehicle socket. Hope that makes sense.

1686325640901.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PBD

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
Thanks TomDoc, DaBull
Hi TomDoc, Just for clarification, in regard to the vehicle female socket, the diagram at your post 11 is looking directly at the
female plug from standing at the rear of the vehicle and your post of the female plug at your post 8 is looking at it from the
backside of the female plug. Reason I am asking is those two diagrams are mirror reversed if you look closely. One from one
view Rear towards front and the other front towards rear. Please clarify if you can what view if post 8 from and what view is post
11 from. Thanks, DaBull

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Presumably you will have to somehow splice into the loom? Or are there three redundant extra wires just waiting to be connected?
Intend to trace the power and camera cable as best I can and hopefully locate it somewhere in the right side panel where all the wire looms are, otherwise pick them up close to the camera and yes, splice into this taking the cable forward to a simple three way switch. Doubt there would be any redundant wiring already built in for this. I've done this with my Touareg which also has a complicated canbus system and works fine and also an LC100 I have but the latter is a much less complicated vehicle.... will it work for the Ineos?, don't know but will give it a shot unless someone here does it first and it fails.. :)

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't presume anything with a canbus car
100%, will test it all first b4 making it a permanent feature, worked well with my Touareg - just about everything seems to 'talk' via it's canbus including door locks and towing module that I found out..... might have just got lucky with the rear camera set up....;)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how they install the North American ones, I think the standard here is a 7 pin harness.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.12.38 PM.jpg

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7815611

So this one above is looking at the front of a "male" plug

The one below is looking directly at the "female" vehicle socket. Hope that makes sense.

View attachment 7815617
If you notice there is no dedicated pin for the 'service (trailer) brake controller', not to be confused with pin 6 which is 'brake lights'. For my current vehicles I've used pin 2 for service brakes as I don't need the fog light pin. Not sure what Ineos has planned but Redarc are developing a plug and play harness for their brake controller.. or so I'm told, and I'll adjust my trailer plug to that if they don't use pin 2.

Also of interest is left and right side lights are separated, pin 5 and 7.... again not the norm in Aus where only one pin is used for both side and tail lights. I've used pin 5 for the side/tail lights making pin 7 another 'spare' - again easy to swap things around on the caravan plug if needed.

Again.. be mighty handy if there was a diagram in the owners manual so there's a 'standard' configuration for the vehicle - maybe there is?

Christian

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ich beabsichtige, das Strom- und Kamerakabel so gut wie möglich zu verfolgen und es hoffentlich irgendwo in der rechten Seitenwand zu lokalisieren, wo sich alle Kabelbäume befinden, ansonsten nehmen Sie sie in der Nähe der Kamera auf und ja, spleißen Sie darin und führen Sie das Kabel nach vorne zu einem einfachen Drei-Wege-Schalter. Ich bezweifle, dass dafür bereits eine redundante Verkabelung eingebaut ist. Ich habe dies mit meinem Touareg gemacht, der auch ein kompliziertes Canbus-System hat und gut funktioniert, und auch mit einem LC100, den ich habe, aber letzteres ist ein viel weniger kompliziertes Fahrzeug.... wird es für die Ineos funktionieren?, weiß es nicht, aber ich werde es versuchen, es sei denn, jemand hier macht es zuerst und es schlägt fehl. :)
@bakepl

On this solution I will be very interested, too. For my offroad caravan.
Chris

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos Australia responded to my trailer socket/plug question which was most welcome. (Thanks Justin)

For Australia the brake controller wire (service brake) will be allocated to pin 12 on the Euro socket.

If you wish to retain the old Aussie 7 flat plug on your trailer (which really defeats the purpose of having the best trailer socket on the car and worst plug on the trailer IMHO :ROFLMAO:) then a quality 13 to 7 adaptor will work. This would mean buying an adaptor that has the diodes built in and I believe the Narva one has this - some of the cheap ones might or might not have diodes.. who knows...

If your trailer/caravan has left and right side light and tail lights joined together which is typical in Australia and you wish to change your trailer/caravan plug to the far superior 13 Euro plug, then you will need to buy the 13 Euro plug and put diodes in the wires of the side/tail lights that are joined so there is no voltage feedback to the vehicle.

Ineos recommend leaving the vehicle as standard which means placing the diodes in the wiring of the trailer/caravan. Easy as. Here's an example I found of two diodes in a 7 flat socket - just an example as mine will be the 13 Euro round trailer plug. Hope this helps the trailer wire situ in Aus at least.

On an aside... your brake controller will likely need a diode also and if you are using Redarc it is placed in the red wire. (redarc sell their diode with instructions)

brake wiring show diodes.png

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos Australia responded to my trailer socket/plug question which was most welcome. (Thanks Justin)

For Australia the brake controller wire (service brake) will be allocated to pin 12 on the Euro socket.

If you wish to retain the old Aussie 7 flat plug on your trailer (which really defeats the purpose of having the best trailer socket on the car and worst plug on the trailer IMHO :ROFLMAO:) then a quality 13 to 7 adaptor will work. This would mean buying an adaptor that has the diodes built in and I believe the Narva one has this - some of the cheap ones might or might not have diodes.. who knows...

If your trailer/caravan has left and right side light and tail lights joined together which is typical in Australia and you wish to change your trailer/caravan plug to the far superior 13 Euro plug, then you will need to buy the 13 Euro plug and put diodes in the wires of the side/tail lights that are joined so there is no voltage feedback to the vehicle.

Ineos recommend leaving the vehicle as standard which means placing the diodes in the wiring of the trailer/caravan. Easy as. Here's an example I found of two diodes in a 7 flat socket - just an example as mine will be the 13 Euro round trailer plug. Hope this helps the trailer wire situ in Aus at least.

On an aside... your brake controller will likely need a diode also and if you are using Redarc it is placed in the red wire. (redarc sell their diode with instructions)

View attachment 7816466
Any info on the diode type/specs?

Back
Top Bottom