The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering

Luc Cornelissen

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
Steering wheel is not straight. Dealer says it is normal ? Has somebody the same experience?

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
Steering wheel is not straight. Dealer says it is normal ? Has somebody the same experience?
Yes Luc, I have the same issue, although my steering wheel is only a little off centre (see photo).

Yes - it's fairly easy to adjust & I will ask the agent to do this when I get the software update.

Basically, on a solid axle car (like the Grenadier), steering is performed by a drag link that is attached to the two front wheels.
The drag link is moved side-to-side by you turning the steering wheel via a steering box.
The steering box is connected to the drag link by a Pitman arm and a "sleeve".
The sleeve can be adjusted which in turn adjusts the position of the steering wheel relative to the position of thr drag link and without impacting the alignment of the front wheels.

A 30 minute job.

IMG_7594.JPG

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes Luc, I have the same issue, although my steering wheel is only a little off centre (see photo).

Yes - it's fairly easy to adjust & I will ask the agent to do this when I get the software update.

Basically, on a solid axle car (like the Grenadier), steering is performed by a drag link that is attached to the two front wheels.
The drag link is moved side-to-side by you turning the steering wheel via a steering box.
The steering box is connected to the drag link by a Pitman arm and a "sleeve".
The sleeve can be adjusted which in turn adjusts the position of the steering wheel relative to the position of thr drag link and without impacting the alignment of the front wheels.

A 30 minute job.

View attachment 7827842

Actually it is much worse than you thought.
They have also mounted your dash crooked, your wiper and indicator stalks off level and your windscreen on an angle.
They also have mounted that red line a few degrees off centre to the left at the top.
You could get Ineos to straight all those things or just remove the red line and turn the steering wheel straight

1695686746078.png

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They have also mounted your dash crooked, your wiper and indicator stalks off level and your windscreen on an angle.
They also have mounted that red line a few degrees off centre to the left at the top.
You could get Ineos to straight all those things or just remove the red line and turn the steering wheel straight

View attachment 7827844
As an alternative, you could also purchase a 4L cask of "rough red' from around Mudgee NSW. There are some excellent red wines around Mudgee but "rough red" is the go for this exercise: once you have consumed sufficient, everything that was leaning is ramrod straight again...even sheep with the staggers are standing tall. Your steering will be better than spec. .. guaranteed 😜

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7827844

I checked & the factory "green check markings" remain inline across the sleeve, including the tighening nuts on both sides, which confirms the factory did not centre the steering wheel correctly: too many other more important issues at the time I guess.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
I checked & the factory "green check markings" remain inline across the sleeve, including the tighening nuts on both sides, which confirms the factory did not centre the steering wheel correctly: too many other more important issues at the time I guess.
Mine has the same degree of steering wheel off centre but to port.

Thanks for your previous post. You say above the green check markings are inline. Does that mean the steering wheel itself has to be adjusted or still the sleeve?

Thanks, it's one of the things I would like to sort out.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
Some like to make jokes of basic design and installation flaws - a steering wheel that out of align will sh** me to no end and I will be adjusting to centre asap if mine comes to me in that state. Actually, no, the dealer will hold and make the fix BEFORE I take it. I aint driving back for that! If I give this to the wife to drive with the wheel out of kilter, I'll be in trouble!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Some like to make jokes of basic design and installation flaws - a steering wheel that out of align will sh** me to no end and I will be adjusting to centre asap
Just wrap some tape around the perceived midline.
Don't fight it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Some like to make jokes of basic design and installation flaws - a steering wheel that out of align will sh** me to no end and I will be adjusting to centre asap if mine comes to me in that state. Actually, no, the dealer will hold and make the fix BEFORE I take it. I aint driving back for that! If I give this to the wife to drive with the wheel out of kilter, I'll be in trouble!
Again
A man who is going to let his wife drive.
What the hell is this world coming to

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Again
A man who is going to let his wife drive.
What the hell is this world coming to
2nd extinction of the dinosaurs is underway :)

Luc Cornelissen

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks Grenadierboy for the explanation, the rest for a good laugh.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same problem.
Our dealer is saying too often that things are normal!
My "bell sound" when I drive in a pothole or over a stone (see another thread) is also normal according to him (last word not said), see this thread here.
I will inform him soon of my steering wheel problem too ,curious what his reaction will be.

Luc Cornelissen

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same problem.
Our dealer is saying too often that things are normal!
My "bell sound" when I drive in a pothole or over a stone (see another thread) is also normal according to him (last word not said), see this thread here.
I will inform him soon of my steering wheel problem too ,curious what his reaction will be.
Hy Jean,

The bell sound should be solved with the software update, I read somewhere on Forum. I have the same "gong" sound.
Steeringwheel problem should be solved easily. See response to my question.
Grts. Luc

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hy Jean,

The bell sound should be solved with the software update, I read somewhere on Forum. I have the same "gong" sound.
Steeringwheel problem should be solved easily. See response to my question.
Grts. Luc
Luc,

No, the "boing" is something else. Mine is a mechanical sound, look here:

And I could replicate it at zero km/h, only with my hands, look at this video, but scroll forward to 1min30

It is the shock absorber of the stabilization bar,
Software will NOT solve it.

Luc Cornelissen

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Luc,

And I could replicate it at zero km/h, only with my hands, look at this video, but scroll forward to 1min30

Jean,

In my case is when I drive over some kind of hump its a sort off alarm over the sound system. Not mechanical.

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
Learn to adjust a drag link yourself, it's quite easy. Offroading will very often throw you right back out of alignment, so it's nice to do on the fly before driving home from the trail.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Luc,

It sound as if the case of the shock absorber hits another part, maybe the steering rod. But if nothing's bend why does that only happen with your car.

Well done.

AWo

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It sound as if the case of the shock absorber hits another part, maybe the steering rod. But if nothing's bend why does that only happen with your car.

Well done.

AWo
It is quite strange, when I simulate it (while making my torsion movements and hissing breathing noise under the car ;) ) I don't see the outside tube (is that what you call the case?) touching anything. I'll check what you are suggesting, but I don't remember seeing anything touching something. But it is clear that something hits the tube/case. If I hit the tube with a hammer, the sound is exactly the same.
Therefore I would think it is inside the tube/case. Very weird that I can simulate it by torsioning it.

Back
Top Bottom