The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering

AWo

Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
Take a screedriver, hit everything until you find the same noise. If you here it but the part doesn't hit anything it might come from inside that part....the steering damper tube for example....maybe damaged inside.

AWo

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Take a screedriver, hit everything until you find the same noise. If you here it but the part doesn't hit anything it might come from inside that part....the steering damper tube for example....maybe damaged inside.

AWo
Did the "hitting", and yes I fear there is inside damage.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Be careful! You do not want to loose parts or get the steering blocked.

AWo

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:46 AM
Reaction score
Luc,

No, the "boing" is something else. Mine is a mechanical sound, look here:

And I could replicate it at zero km/h, only with my hands, look at this video, but scroll forward to 1min30

It is the shock absorber of the stabilization bar,
Software will NOT solve it.
That's definitely something broken.
Mind you if you keep driving that fast over speed bumps more will break.

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
That's definitely something broken.
Mind you if you keep driving that fast over speed bumps more will break.
Not necessarily. I assume that is either the track bar or drag link. These links are meant to control lateral movement, and as long as they're isn't play in that, they're doing their job. They are often meant to be able to rotate to not bind up when the suspension is articulating.

froggy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine was not straight, dealer has adjusted and re done alignment now it’s straight but also steers much better.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine was not straight, dealer has adjusted and re done alignment now it’s straight but also steers much better.
Similar situation.

My vehicle was delivered with the steering wheel slightly off centre and what I’ve termed a loose-soft feel.

While fixing a few other issues I asked my dealer to look at the steering as it wasn’t up to scratch in my books.

Dealer acknowledges the wheel alignment was out and rectified the issue. The steering wheel is now centred (dealer at handover telling me most were like that and off centre - yeah right, so fix it) and like @froggy steers and feels much better.

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
Similar situation.

My vehicle was delivered with the steering wheel slightly off centre and what I’ve termed a loose-soft feel.

While fixing a few other issues I asked my dealer to look at the steering as it wasn’t up to scratch in my books.

Dealer acknowledges the wheel alignment was out and rectified the issue. The steering wheel is now centred (dealer at handover telling me most were like that and off centre - yeah right, so fix it) and like @froggy steers and feels much better.
As mentioned before. Mine's off about 3 degrees to the left when tracking straight. Had thought about getting under and adjusting but not got around to it yet.

When you say 'feels much better' do you think it's just steering wheel now centred or more than that - i.e tighter, less free play?

Just interested to see if dealers are doing anymore than just loosening two nuts and turning the collar on the bar below.

Last edited:

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As mentioned before. Mine's off about 3 degrees to the left when tracking straight. Had thought about getting under and adjusting but not got around to it yet.

When you say 'feels much better' do you think it's just steering wheel now centred or more than that - i.e tighter, less free play?

Just interested to see if dealers are doing anymore than just loosening two nuts and turning the collar on the bar below.
It feels tighter to me with less play. When I put the car in I said to them the wheel wasn’t in the middle and the steering felt loose to me.

Freeway manners and on local roads have both improved.

I checked the Dealer’s job sheet I received and it only mentions a wheel alignment.

Last edited:

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
Learn to adjust a drag link yourself, it's quite easy. Offroading will very often throw you right back out of alignment, so it's nice to do on the fly before driving home from the trail.
Any idea the torque specs for the drag link clamp?

Back
Top Bottom