The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering stabilizer bar

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
Personally I don’t really mind how heavy the steering is - in fact I don’t mind how heavy it is. I do like the idea of self centering though.
The biggest improvement I found is it removes the constant fidgeting and minor adjustments required when trying to drive straight. You can now pick a line, the steering & vehicle settles and holds that line more faithfully. It shows the basic steering design and feel is sound, the overly firm damper is the single item that changes it and makes it “unique”.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
31000 km on my Grenadier, mainly ON road, but also some off-road, more than one year owner of my retirement present (paid by my boss, I mean ME) ...

I don't see what's the problem with the steering. I got used to it.
Comfortable.
The only "un-comfort" are useless warnings popping up, like the service interval. But not related to steering.

My best car? Too early to judge.
My most expensive car: certainly 😱 .
Early problems: one of my worst, but, in fact, minor very annoying problems. And horrible customer service 😡.
My best 4x4: The Grenadier is probably the best (but I am not an expert)
My Mitsubishi Pajero build somewhere in the 90-ies was fabulous.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
I don't see what's the problem with the steering. I got used to it.

Comparison test drives would be nice, with some one who feels they have perfect steering. Is it vehicle variability, steering stabilizer variability, human variability, tire variability, a combination of all factors. My steering really seems to have a mind of its own on center. I would describe it as stiction. My steering always seems to stick just a tad off center, so I spend most of my straight line driving micro adjusting to keep it going straight. Next step is to take the stabilizer off to rule it out.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
Could it be that the OEM steering stabilizer prevents the sudden spin of the steering wheel that breaks the thumbs of the uninitiated?

ZemTyrion

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
Could it be that the OEM steering stabilizer prevents the sudden spin of the steering wheel that breaks the thumbs of the uninitiated?
Yes, I think so. I have the Fox damper. I consider it a much better ride, and I probably would not have kept he car without it. Now, I know you are referring to offroad, and I haven't noticed that yet, but we have some awful highways. There are moments at 60-80mph where pot holes or uneven roads feels like it can almost rip the wheel out of one hand. I'm used to that now, so I tend to grab the wheel with a second hand when I see those spots.

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
I took mine off over the weekend to test it. I'd taken a long highway trip the previous weekend and even with my KO2s at 36psi and a recent alignment by the dealer, the steering was tiring after a while. It is noticeably worse trying to keep it centered than either of my JL wranglers with 35" tires. I find the lack of self centering an annoyance at times and I don't think it will ever feel normal.

Without the stabilizer it returns to center perfectly as others have stated. The steering is also very light, and maybe too light for a vehicle like this IMO. The highway driving is much improved and feels more like my 4 door JL wrangler. As expected, some bumps around town are a little more pronounced through the steering wheel, but most feel the same. Some highway bumps can jolt the steering wheel just a bit and this is why I'll end up fitting one of the aftermarket stabilizers. I haven't tried it off road without the stabilizer, but I don't think running without one would be a good idea.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
Interesting because all the dampers on the market are actually softer, which should result in a notably "lighter" steering on the roads
Sorry just saw this. I don’t know if heavier is the right word. It’s just a little more locked in - you feel the pull a little more or a little sooner when you turn the wheel. Generally, it’s just got a little more of a balanced and smooth feel, and seems to track to line better with fewer corrections. It’s hard to describe - that’s my best shot.

Local time
Reaction score
Hi There,
Is there any diffrences between LHD and RHD FOX stabilizer instalation?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Someone on FB posted they had death wobble with the OME. They're replacing it with the Fox.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Take a look at the thread and see if you agree with me.
I did read it and I don't agree. It's not a rumor, it actually happened to the poor guy. Even RDS suspects the damper that they installed.

My steering is fine and I feel people should know the possible outcomes of changing something if theirs isn't acceptable. The OP wasn't familiar with what happened until others helped h figure it out, which demonstrates that people are obviously jumping in without doing their research. I'll happily take my post down if you can show me proof that a damper change can't possibly have risks.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
I did read it and I don't agree. It's not a rumor, it actually happened to the poor guy. Even RDS suspects the damper that they installed.

My steering is fine and I feel people should know the possible outcomes of changing something if theirs isn't acceptable. The OP wasn't familiar with what happened until others helped h figure it out, which demonstrates that people are obviously jumping in without doing their research. I'll happily take my post down if you can show me proof that a damper change can't possibly have risks.
Apologies Bruce
I seem to have got the wrong end of the stick to a certain extent. My point was more about original components being fit for purpose and not inherently bad. It is very apparent from this forum alone, that there are steering issues to be sorted. I guess the term 'Death Wobble' is what phased me.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So, I have been driving for a week without a steering damper fitted and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mostly inner city & suburban driving, stop-start traffic approx 50kms per day, average Melbourne roads including trams tracks, some freeway driving up to 110kph. No issues to report, much nicer and more "normal" steering feel than stock, stable but light steering with self return to center and much less wander/fidgeting in straight ahead. My biggest learning is there is nothing to fear from not having a steering damper fitted, if you were to damage the factory damper while offroad just remove it and move on. I probably would not drive it without a damper at 170kph fully laden on a poorly maintained freeway on a dark foggy night, but I wouldn't be driving a Grenadier like that even if I had one fitted.

Yesterday I fitted an Ironman 4x4 "3524" steering damper to see what difference it would make. The 3524 is designed for the Landcruiser 60-105 series, the dampers fitted to these Landcruisers seem to have a similar operating range and mounting type to the Grenadier damper. Ironman says the 3524 has a extended/compressed range from 648mm to 423mm, measuring the original Bilstein damper I found its range to be approx 620mm to 440mm. The Bilstein damper is heavier and far harder to compress by hand, it also must be pressurised so self expands to its widest point every time (the Ironman damper is mush easier to compress and holds any length you set). The factory damper has mounting holes 14mm diameter with robust steel bushes, the replacement has 16mm rubber holes so I needed bushes or some kind of spacer. One factory bolt is M14 and the other is M12 with a 12x14 bush. I am struggling to find 14x16 bushes I am totally happy with so I will not go too far into the mounting method, I have some alternatives on order and will report back if they are more suitable.

In limited driving today with the Ironman unit fitted I have found the steering to be very similar to the feel without a damper, basically it feels "normal" especially in terms of self centering after corners and less wander in straight ahead. I would think most dampers suited to the Landcruiser 60-105 series will give a similar experience, these are very common in the Australian market and generally reasonably priced. I would probably get a professional to fit it next time as they will have easier access to the bushes required, but its not hard for the tinkerers out there to do themselves. Note I would avoid dampers suited to the Landcruiser 71-79 series, they have a different extension/compression range. I have attached pictures of the markings on the original Ineos damper for the curious.

As changing the damper is a very easy process I intend to use the alternative damper for daily use, and keep the Bilstein damper for extended and/or offroad journeys and as a spare.

STSTAB4.jpg
STSTAB3.jpg
STSTAB2.jpg
STSTAB1.jpg

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has there been any testing done yet to try and determine various rates between stock and aftermarket? Beyond just A/B driving, that is.

The FB post about the OME is slightly worrying, and I can't help but notice that vendors are lining up to sell these parts which makes me inherently a bit cautious.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has there been any testing done yet to try and determine various rates between stock and aftermarket? Beyond just A/B driving, that is.

The FB post about the OME is slightly worrying, and I can't help but notice that vendors are lining up to sell these parts which makes me inherently a bit cautious.
Vendors are shipping parts to make money. They haven't done a bit of testing other than A/B driving. It's (IMHO) irresponsible & as evidenced by the OME death wobble, unsafe.

I'm betting most of these vendors have failed to even set their tire pressures at the recommended levels before testing or recommending their "fix".

Back
Top Bottom