The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering Retrofit

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
From discussions here and reviews - the steering and lack of return to center seems to be one of the little quirky 'signature' things right or wrong (does not make a difference since it is what it is). Has anyone explored retrofits or upgrades to help in that area?

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
From discussions here and reviews - the steering and lack of return to center seems to be one of the little quirky 'signature' things right or wrong (does not make a difference since it is what it is). Has anyone explored retrofits or upgrades to help in that area?
Two obvious things that could relatively easily be played with.
1. Adjustment of castor angle.
2. Replacement of steering damper with rtc damper. I think it is probably quite risky doing that on RHD vehicles due to the placement of the damper and the design of RTC dampers making it quite vulnerable but may be more practical on LHD vehicles

But I will wait for others to try first as it doesn’t actually bother me.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Two obvious things that could relatively easily be played with.
1. Adjustment of castor angle.
2. Replacement of steering damper with rtc damper. I think it is probably quite risky doing that on RHD vehicles due to the placement of the damper and the design of RTC dampers making it quite vulnerable but may be more practical on LHD vehicles

But I will wait for others to try first as it doesn’t actually bother me.
Thanks AnD3rew - I'm thinking there are many contemplating the same thing and will come up with an ingenious well thought out solution. I'm not worried about it myself - but think it the wheel play and not retuning to center would really irritate my wife

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks AnD3rew - I'm thinking there are many contemplating the same thing and will come up with an ingenious well thought out solution. I'm not worried about it myself - but think it the wheel play and not retuning to center would really irritate my wife - she drives a 7 series BMW that does everything for you and is the complete/total opposite universe of the Grenadier.

Similar to the show Seinfeld - it was the episode where George Costanza did the opposite of his natural instincts and was suddenly successful.
I was worried my wife would hate it, and she didn’t love it for the first impression but she got used to it very quickly and now she is fine with it.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
Hi YellowLab, This firm has a patented return to center spring stabilizer that looks like it would be perfect for the Grenadier. Someone just needs to drive their Grenadier over to their site and ask them to support the Grenadier and make the proper brackets and kit for it. They are located in Vancouver Washington. Check it out. DaBull

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi YellowLab, This firm has a patented return to center spring stabilizer that looks like it would be perfect for the Grenadier. Someone just needs to drive their Grenadier over to their site and ask them to support the Grenadier and make the proper brackets and kit for it. They are located in Vancouver Washington. Check it out. DaBull
Perfecto!

IG Pop

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
I was worried my wife would hate it, and she didn’t love it for the first impression but she got used to it very quickly and now she is fine with it.
Same here.
In the beginning (if I recall correctly) there was basically no self-centering. A bit of a scary moment in the first roundabout only. Once I was aware of it that was no problem.
But what I feel recently is that it actually does somehow (start to) self-center more and more, also at lower speed, namely the roundabouts.
I really don’t know if this is just my imagination or if there’s actually something wrong now with the car.
Anybody observing the same? Am I going crazy or does the IG loose it’s character???
I’m serious…

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same here.
In the beginning (if I recall correctly) there was basically no self-centering. A bit of a scary moment in the first roundabout only. Once I was aware of it that was no problem.
But what I feel recently is that it actually does somehow (start to) self-center more and more, also at lower speed, namely the roundabouts.
I really don’t know if this is just my imagination or if there’s actually something wrong now with the car.
Anybody observing the same? Am I going crazy or does the IG loose it’s character???
I’m serious…
I went into a roundabout today without thinking too much and forgot I was now in the Grenadier not my old Mercedes.
Half way in I started working the steering wheel and calling for it to turn baby turn.
Possibly 30 kmh slower next time.
Steering and weight transfer issues.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Same here.
I’m serious…
Is there a real gremlin in your car - self centering???

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
Same here.
I’m serious…

Probably just the knuckle bearings, etc. loosening up.

I personally wouldn't want a much lower ratio steering box on a somewhat short wheelbase vehicle like the Grenadier. I could maybe stand 3.5-4 turns lock-to-lock. Any lower than that and tall 4X4 vehicles get darty at highway speeds and will roll when overcorrected in a panic situation.

Add a little length to the front lower control arms and you'll start recentering easily enough. Or shorten the uppers. Wouldn't take much.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi DaBull
I liked the gas spring RTC damper you linked to a while back. For the low hanging RHD market, that one looked ok.

Roadmaster Exact Center

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I still don't understand why people are having problems with this large , heavy , offroad oriented solid axle 4x4.
The problem seems to be roundabouts. And maybe no experience of this style of 4x4.
Sucks to have to suffer them I suppose.
Steering is fine. It's not an SUV and it's not a 911.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I still don't understand why people are having problems with this large , heavy , offroad oriented solid axle 4x4.
The problem seems to be roundabouts. And maybe no experience of this style of 4x4.
Muscle memory develops quickly. I'm quite happy with the steering. Day 1 was a learning experience. Day 2> has been fine.
Our M140 Baby Bimmer though: the steering in that thing is now far too responsive. I may need to retrofit it with a live axle, recirculating ball steering and a damper.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi DaBull
I liked the gas spring RTC damper you linked to a while back. For the low hanging RHD market, that one looked ok.

Roadmaster Exact Center
That definitely looks like it is more likely to fit. I still worry that that centre bit looks like a badly knock would bend it, the existing damper isn’t immune but it is hefty

Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
Why even make a effort you have Large, Heavy, Offroad Oriented Solid Axle 4x4 you go straigth over the roundabout ;)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Why even make a effort you have Large, Heavy, Offroad Oriented Solid Axle 4x4 you go straigth over the roundabout ;)
"At the roundabout , take the 3rd exit..."

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Same here.
I’m serious…
I know where you are coming from.

The Grenadier has some small amount of self-centering; as a complete moving structure (and what a structure it is) it does want to "come back to centre" but not in a rack & pinion way but due to it's design and a whole bunch of other factors: the camber of the road, whether you are turning uphill or downhill, your speed, the amount of caster angle, tire/tyre pressure etc. etc.

Depending on these factors - some days I need to do less self centering myself - and sometimes a bit more.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
"At the roundabout , take the 3rd exit..."
That's a right.... or a left for those of us who drive on the correct side of the roadway :p

Back
Top Bottom