The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering Retrofit

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
Same here.
In the beginning (if I recall correctly) there was basically no self-centering. A bit of a scary moment in the first roundabout only. Once I was aware of it that was no problem.
But what I feel recently is that it actually does somehow (start to) self-center more and more, also at lower speed, namely the roundabouts.
I really don’t know if this is just my imagination or if there’s actually something wrong now with the car.
Anybody observing the same? Am I going crazy or does the IG loose it’s character???
I’m serious…
I am still trying to understand what the self centering issue is about. Mine does self centre although a little slowly. I have never had any concerns regarding steering. I grant that at night or on tight roads, with oncoming traffic, I do have to concentrate that bit more than in my wife's X3.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am still trying to understand what the self centering issue is about. Mine does self centre although a little slowly. I have never had any concerns regarding steering. I grant that at night or on tight roads, with oncoming traffic, I do have to concentrate that bit more than in my wife's X3.
From talking with the firm - the spring steering stabilizers also significantly improves road handling/holding a straight line without making all the corrections to the wheel.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:25 PM
Reaction score
From talking with the firm - the spring steering stabilizers also significantly improves road handling/holding a straight line without making all the corrections to the wheel.
In speaking with them, was the Grenadier already on their radar?

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In speaking with them, was the Grenadier already on their radar?
I spoke to their R&D director - it was not on their radar - but it is now. I've emailed over the website and as much spec information as I have and they will see my vehicle in January '24

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
I spoke to their R&D director - it was not on their radar - but it is now. I've emailed over the website and as much spec information as I have and they will see my vehicle in January '24
Hi YellowLab, I have a call into them too at 800-669-9690. Awaiting a call back from Abraham who I spoke to a few months back. Figure another call will help peak their interest. Let us know once you take your vehicle there and when they have one for the Grenadier. DaBull

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi YellowLab, I have a call into them too at 800-669-9690. Awaiting a call back from Abraham who I spoke to a few months back. Figure another call will help peak their interest. Let us know once you take your vehicle there and when they have one for the Grenadier. DaBull
From talking with Rod - he is thinking about 4 days to get the bracketing done and test the performance of the spring versus gas 'return to center' feature. He did say that their system would also help with the play in the wheel as well - make it ride without the corrections.

mlagren23

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
From discussions here and reviews - the steering and lack of return to center seems to be one of the little quirky 'signature' things right or wrong (does not make a difference since it is what it is). Has anyone explored retrofits or upgrades to help in that area?
Because the truck has such a large steering stabilizer the return is slowed down such that it appears there is no return. The stabilizer is essential for off road and washboard driving where the reaction to the road is not transferred to your hands which is a very good thing.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Because the truck has such a large steering stabilizer the return is slowed down such that it appears there is no return. The stabilizer is essential for off road and washboard driving where the reaction to the road is not transferred to your hands which is a very good thing.
From looking at their web site and I'll have more conversations with them - the entire system looks easily removable by a novice. If that proves the case - I would leave it on and remove if I have some 'field work' to do.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know where you are coming from.

The Grenadier has some small amount of self-centering; as a complete moving structure (and what a structure it is) it does want to "come back to centre" but not in a rack & pinion way but due to it's design and a whole bunch of other factors: the camber of the road, whether you are turning uphill or downhill, your speed, the amount of caster angle, tire/tyre pressure etc. etc.

Depending on these factors - some days I need to do less self centering myself - and sometimes a bit more.
So, you actually drive the vehicle rather than ride in it, correct?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was worried my wife would hate it, and she didn’t love it for the first impression but she got used to it very quickly and now she is fine with it.
I still don't understand why people are having problems with this large , heavy , offroad oriented solid axle 4x4.
The problem seems to be roundabouts. And maybe no experience of this style of 4x4.
Sucks to have to suffer them I suppose.
Steering is fine. It's not an SUV and it's not a 911.
My wife drove our lifted (sway bars removed) '96 Disco for 16 years and never once had difficulty steering.

Local time
Reaction score
Will be looking forward in trying it on snow at high speeds.......the fact that it is not self centring could be a major issue there but will hold my breath until December comes. Looking out for solutions hoping that someone tries it before hand.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
This rtc damper you’re looking at might help anyone who wants a stronger centering, but there is no play in the steering, and there is no constant correcting to go in a straight line. Those things are not accurate statements of driving grenadiers. Ive now driven 4, over thousands of km.
none had any play in the steering, and none were hard to keep in a straight line, or need constant correcting.

some of these ideas just seem to have taken a life of their own from early speculation, or people using descriptions from early test drives. Anyone may wish to do something, but I think first up you can relax, the car is really good on the highway - way better than I expected, and is stable and relaxing to drive.

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
I'm really curious as to what the factory castor angle is. Manufacturers make them less aggressive than they should, and I'm not sure why. A new Jeep will have 4 degrees, but 6 degrees will improve steering weight, tracking, and centering.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve heard that Jim and the boys have been trying some of the bigger hazy IPA’s at the pub and have come up with a couple of clever fixes for the steering!

I'm hearing 'recirculating string steering' or RSS is making a big come back and will be standard on the '25 models

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 9.05.34 AM.png

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm hearing 'recirculating string steering' or RSS is making a big come back and will be standard on the '25 models

(y) Easy to fix on the trail. In the dark. Drunk. And injured. With no tools. While taking enemy fire.

Ditto for that brake technology. More smiles per mile. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom