The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare Wheel Mount Question

jsc2023

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on the maximum load capacity of the spare wheel mount?

Reason: looking to add an additional 10 gals of fuel weight (~65lbs additional to the tire). Want to ensure I don’t create a separate issue.

Thanks in advance.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is why I think the 70/30 door design is ingenious. Not all the weight is concentrated on the hinges of a full sized door.

Vote:
Upvote 0

jsc2023

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Vote:
Upvote 0

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
My 2c, it probably won’t feel the extra weight static, but bounce around on a rough trail or corrugations for a few 100miles and it could be a different story

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My 2c, it probably won’t feel the extra weight static, but bounce around on a rough trail or corrugations for a few 100miles and it could be a different story
So Ineos design team didn't account for spare tyre rubbish bags? Bigger tyres? Kaon gas bottle mounts?

Vote:
Upvote 0

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So Ineos design team didn't account for spare tyre rubbish bags? Bigger tyres? Kaon gas bottle mounts?
Who knows, I assume there is a decent margin there for bigger tyres etc, but we are talking about 30+ kgs of fuel and container which is basically a second wheel worth of weight and then bounce that around on a track for a few hundred k’s and will be interesting to see how that holds up.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Who knows, I assume there is a decent margin there for bigger tyres etc, but we are talking about 30+ kgs of fuel and container which is basically a second wheel worth of weight and then bounce that around on a track for a few hundred k’s and will be interesting to see how that holds up.
I certainly wouldn't put that much on and certainly not fuel.

Vote:
Upvote 0

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
Keep in mind the larger door has a couple of pins that help locate and support the weight when closed as well.

Vote:
Upvote 0

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't put that much on and certainly not fuel.
The whole thing is as good as the hinges it swings off, ask any Troopy owner. All the ones I've seen of age have worn hinges from the spare wheel alone.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The whole thing is as good as the hinges it swings off, ask any Troopy owner. All the ones I've seen of age have worn hinges from the spare wheel alone.
I think Troopy's are droopy by nature. They weren't designed for 35" muddies etc.
My S1 Discovery door was hugely heavy but didn't sag with added weight. But it required a 100kg bench press ability to push it open on a slope with no strut to hold it.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom