The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare Wheel Cover

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
The gas strut is to stop the large door slamming shut and damaging the small door,
But you still have to open the small door first before opening the large door ~ it won't open otherwise?

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
So some photos are in various other threads but I thought it worth drawing info on the one topic into it's own thread.

My answers are for the UK specification vehicles & just my interpretation of what I have seen and read.

Standard vehicles get no spare wheel cover and so look like this:
View attachment 7792352

Belstaff editions get a hard centre cover and so look like this:
View attachment 7792351
There's an optional accessory for all models, interesting priced the same whether you have a cover or not, of a lockable storage box:
View attachment 7792353
View attachment 7792354
View attachment 7792355
View attachment 7792356

Early prototypes were seen with a more traditional full cover than may have been semi-rigid but this seems to have been dropped, at least for now:
View attachment 7792357

And finally, there have been a few sightings of Melvill & Moon flexible covers on prototypes:
View attachment 7792358
View attachment 7792359

Might be worth adding what the spare wheel carrier looks like behind the spare wheel:
View attachment 7792360

And for those used to cracking rear doors under the weight of the spare wheel (I'm guessing lessons learnt from the Defender) then this is the not insubstantial inner casting to carry all that weight:

View attachment 7792361
Out of curiosity, is the key to the lockable storage wheel cover the vehicle key or is it a seperate key like the lockable cubby inside the vehicle?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is the key to the lockable storage wheel cover the vehicle key or is it a seperate key like the lockable cubby inside the vehicle?
I can not imagine that it will be the cars key. It will be a separate one.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But you still have to open the small door first before opening the large door ~ it won't open otherwise?
All doors need to have a good seal all around to keep dust and water out. As there isn't a strut or body section down the middle to close the rear doors on the doors must overlap. The point to the small door is you can just open it if you need quick, small object access. Therefore the large door closes with a seal at the top, bottom and right hand side. Then the small door closes overlapping the large door and seals all the way around. There is no other way to do it and this is the same on all double rear door vehicles.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm wondering what force is in the damper to hold the door open on a reasonable slope but not then make it difficult to shut on the level.

I was hoping that there would have been a more mechanical latch to lock the door open.
Don't they have a sort of twist lock on the jeep I saw the strut at the game fair and it does stop you slamming the door too hard.
Yes but after the small door is opened the large door can then open but it doesn't stop you re closing the small door which can then bbbe damaged by the large door shutting on it .

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't they have a sort of twist lock on the jeep I saw the strut at the game fair and it does stop you slamming the door too hard.

Yes but after the small door is opened the large door can then open but it doesn't stop you re closing the small door which can then bbbe damaged by the large door shutting on it .
Yes. Friend of mine has a tennis ball in the back and when he wants to keep the door open he just wedges it in the gap near the hinge. Saves damage to slide out drawers when they are open.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Grandma uses such balls so the windows don't slam shut.

2616--IgelBall--Wild.jpg

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

100%.

At the demo drive - I used both rear doors.

1. The large door can only be opened by first opening the small door.

2. The small door is opened similar to the other doors.

3. I can't remember if the small door has a holding latch.

4. You can then open the large rear door with a latch on the inside left side of the large door.

5. With both doors open the large door must be closed first. You could then close the small door over first (but why?) but then not the large door as the large door left inside opening mechanism would hit the right edge of the small door and potentially chip the paintwork.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
100%.

4. You can then open the large rear door with a latch on the inside left side of the large door.

5. With both doors open the large door must be closed first. You could then close the small door over first (but why?) but then not the large door as the large door left inside opening mechanism would hit the right edge of the small door and potentially chip the paintwork.
My thoughts were to leave the large door open with the table folded down, close the small door. Fold out 270 degree awning and set up table and chairs. behind and on the left side of the vehicle. I am working on design of some shelves to attach to the utility belt on the left side to set up cooking/water boiling and meal prep. Closing the small door just makes it one clear space. Talking about a RHD vehicle in Australia

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes DaveB I can see that set-up working very well with clean access to the fold down camp table

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
100%.

Pretty much the same as a 70 series Landcruiser Wagon or Troopy.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My thoughts were to leave the large door open with the table folded down, close the small door. Fold out 270 degree awning and set up table and chairs. behind and on the left side of the vehicle. I am working on design of some shelves to attach to the utility belt on the left side to set up cooking/water boiling and meal prep. Closing the small door just makes it one clear space. Talking about a RHD vehicle in Australia
My thoughts be exactly. But I haven't had m much luck on the utility belt table. I even bought a length of track to experiment be with. All my designs are either to fiddly or don't be save space or weight.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. I haven’t seen these. I much prefer the bottom pic but even it seems average say best. I guess someone will come up with a brilliant idea. The sooner we get a few vehicles in user hands the better.

Edited. @Stu_Barnes

Last edited by a moderator:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Details of the exterior lock mechanism from Goodwood show the revision from a simple key turn opening mechanism.

Screenshot_20220919_071135_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how this cover actually clips into place? Screenshot_20220922-124415.png

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Only a guess, but it may be like a hub cap and just presses in with a slighly deformable outer ring.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I guess that the cap is bolted to the tire holder with the three bolts seen here.

The three humps around the wheel center in the back likely cover the wheel screws but there seem to be three extra threads in between the wheel bolts to secure the cover. It would be nonsense to have a lockable box which is just clamped and could thus be stolen easily.

Screenshot_20220922_100249.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom