The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sound Deadening

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
Some big effort there, I am sure it will be quite a bit quieter. Like someone else has said it can’t be the same or louder for sure.

donnygreygrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Truly impressive and revealing! The photos will be useful for a number of projects. I intend to do the wheel wells as I noticed quite a bit of road noise from that area of the cab during the test drive. During your project did INEOS have any sound deadening material that needed to be replaced (assuming that some was present)?

MindOpen

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
My Dog would love the Chaos too :)
It is a very much appreciated upload. Going to the workshop next monday to upgrade the sound system. Since they've never seen a Grenadier, we can look and plan together much easier beforehand with the help of Your pictures.
Did you replace anything while opening up all that cover?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
. Going to the workshop next monday to upgrade the sound system. Since they've never seen a Grenadier, we can look and plan together much easier beforehand with the help of Your pictures.
Please document and share your process. Many NA folks are getting their Grens and they’re chomping at the bit for audio upgrades.

ChaosDogg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
@ChaosDogg That's a monumental effort which will reap all sorts of rewards in terms of understanding where things are and what to expect as we find our way around! Thank You!!(y)😁
Did you happen to find out where the in-car microphone is located by any chance?
I reckon it was in the overhead panel - there was a bunch of wiring there and the positioning makes sense as well to me.

Hi ChaosDogg, Did you happen to take detailed photos before the install of the insulation. If so it would be great if you could post them as it would be helpful for determining future projects. Thanks again for the photos you have already posted. DaBull
I don't have any useful before photos unfortunately, however I cut the sound deadening around the existing threads and bolt holes. Hopefully that helps enough for lining things up.

Is that Alubutyl (bitumen) based?

AWo
Yep! I got it from these guys: https://www.carbuilders.com.au/sounddeadener

I sure do hope it was worth it - that had to be a ton of effort.

While it was all apart did you modify anything?
@MindOpen
I added a bunch of wiring:
- Two UHF antennas, one on the bull bar and one on the roof rack
- Audio upgrade (all 4 speakers, external amp, sub)
- Garmin tread 8" setup + external antennas for it
- Wolfbox permanent rear view camera + dashcam

Wow! Reminds me of what someone told me once, something along the lines of "anybody can disassemble a watch, putting it back together properly is a different story ". ;)

Thanks for the effort and the pics.
I actually found removing the first side the hardest, trying to figure out where all the clips where and such. The other side after this was easier. Hardest part was easily getting the safari window trim holding the roof lining in place out.
Putting it back together wasn't too bad - I put any nuts/bolts I took out back where it came from straight away so I wouldn't lose em.

Wow! Major effort! How difficult was pulling the headliner? I am thinking of running a radio antenna from under the dash to the point at which the auxiliary power comes out at the roof grab bars. Any hints on the procedure?
You will need to take the roof liner out for that definitely. It's in two parts, front and rear. The rear half was fairly easy, but the front was the worst part of it IF you have safari windows. If you don't it shouldn't be too bad. I did however break ALL of the cream coloured clips holding the trim up in the middle of the roof, they're easily replaceable it seems, but I haven't gotten around to getting any yet. I wired a UHF antenna through the same place on the roof, but I did drill a hole in the plastic trim where the AUX power cable came out of to do so. No metal need be defaced though.

ChaosDogg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Truly impressive and revealing! The photos will be useful for a number of projects. I intend to do the wheel wells as I noticed quite a bit of road noise from that area of the cab during the test drive. During your project did INEOS have any sound deadening material that needed to be replaced (assuming that some was present)?
There was some here and there but it was quite thin. I just slapped the stuff I had right over it and it doesn't show at all.

Last edited:

ChaosDogg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Dog would love the Chaos too :)
It is a very much appreciated upload. Going to the workshop next monday to upgrade the sound system. Since they've never seen a Grenadier, we can look and plan together much easier beforehand with the help of Your pictures.
Did you replace anything while opening up all that cover?
Please document and share your process. Many NA folks are getting their Grens and they’re chomping at the bit for audio upgrades.
I've got some photos of my Audio upgrade on this thread if you're keen to have a look too:

ChaosDogg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also forgot to add, I moved the rear seats forward to where I'm assuming they would be on the commercial version. All the bolt holes are pre-existing so this was quite an easy change to make.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also forgot to add, I moved the rear seats forward to where I'm assuming they would be on the commercial version. All the bolt holes are pre-existing so this was quite an easy change to make.
I'm interested in this. Does this leave any gaps that are not covered by trim or floor covering? Did you need to trim the back seat floors?

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I liked the idea until you mentioned the additional 30-40kg in weight. Once I have my basic setup done the IG is going on a diet.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
I added some sound deadening (Stage 1 only) to my Diesel Trialmaster. So far it "seems" quieter, but that could just be my brain trying to compensate for all the effort it took to get this done.
Road noise seems to be not as sharp and a bit more dulled, I definitely hear the turbo whine a bit more than I used to as thats the most high pitched thing I hear now.
Went to our local tip to weigh myself before and after, and it's added 30 to 40kg - unfortunately that's as accurate as I could get as 10kgs is the lowest unit that they show.
I did actually take some sound readings before and after on my GoPro, but I haven't had a chance to go through it to get a proper report. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have enough time to make a comparison video.
Hi ChaosDogg, Just checking back in to see what your thoughts are about all your sound deadening and how much noise reduction you are now experiencing.
DaBull

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you experience a lot of road noise before this? I am asking because mine has practically zero road noise with the Bridgestones (ignoring any drone/engine noise). Wind noise on the other hand.. is starting to drive me crazy.

ChaosDogg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi ChaosDogg, Just checking back in to see what your thoughts are about all your sound deadening and how much noise reduction you are now experiencing.
DaBull
I tried to get some readings with a sound meter before/after for an objective answer to this, but results from that little experiment are inconclusive.

Subjectively though, I noticed that before the sound deadening when having a convo with a passenger while driving along we would get tired of talking much faster compared to now.

It seems to have cut out a lot more of the higher pitched road noises, so now I notice more of a low rumble in its place (which I much prefer).

I now also run 285/70/17 Geolander X-ATs, which I assume would be louder than the KO2s as they are larger and more aggressive.

Personally, I think it's made a worthwhile difference, but that could just be Stockholm Syndrome from the effort it took to get it all done.

The insulation on the roof though, definitely has made the ride a lot cooler.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tried to get some readings with a sound meter before/after for an objective answer to this, but results from that little experiment are inconclusive.

Subjectively though, I noticed that before the sound deadening when having a convo with a passenger while driving along we would get tired of talking much faster compared to now.

It seems to have cut out a lot more of the higher pitched road noises, so now I notice more of a low rumble in its place (which I much prefer).

I now also run 285/70/17 Geolander X-ATs, which I assume would be louder than the KO2s as they are larger and more aggressive.

Personally, I think it's made a worthwhile difference, but that could just be Stockholm Syndrome from the effort it took to get it all done.

The insulation on the roof though, definitely has made the ride a lot cooler.
Love the Queen's Red 😻

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
Did you experience a lot of road noise before this? I am asking because mine has practically zero road noise with the Bridgestones (ignoring any drone/engine noise). Wind noise on the other hand.. is starting to drive me crazy.
I have no wind noise on mine. The only wind noise is from the HVAC, where there is a slight whistling noise on Auto (this is because the actuators are not closed properly, there is a slight leak). Give this a try, use fan speed 1 or 2 and this should eliminate the noise until Ineos brings out a fix.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have no wind noise on mine. The only wind noise is from the HVAC, where there is a slight whistling noise on Auto (this is because the actuators are not closed properly, there is a slight leak). Give this a try, use fan speed 1 or 2 and this should eliminate the noise until Ineos brings out a fix.
I can reproduce slight whistling when the vents are on the face+leg setting. However, I also have abnormal wind noise even when the HVAC is completely off. Considering others have no wind noise, I think there must be an issue on mine because I am measuring 88dB (on iPhone) at 80+ mph.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
I can reproduce slight whistling when the vents are on the face+leg setting. However, I also have abnormal wind noise even when the HVAC is completely off. Considering others have no wind noise, I think there must be an issue on mine because I am measuring 88dB (on iPhone) at 80+ mph.
tbh honest, I’ve never driven 80 mph in the Grenadier. My cruising speed on the motorway is around 70mph.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
tbh honest, I’ve never driven 80 mph in the Grenadier. My cruising speed on the motorway is around 70mph.

Had to think long and hard over this, and i don’t think I have been over 80mph since I had mine. Didn’t buy it to go fast on a motorway. I do like to make progress on open country roads but that’s more around the 40-70 mph range. I don’t think the IG is particularly noisy for what it is, it certainly isn’t whisper quiet though.

I have heard the high pitch whistle that does go away if you put the fan on though.

Back
Top Bottom