The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Some News..... Software update and delays/deliveries?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
I'd like to see the list of what could be done. I've seen before with other manufacturers that some items are fixable but only "if the customer expresses a concern".
I could believe that. Just such a circumstance where this forum and the intelligence it provides is golden.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
According to my dealer, all updates have to be done while plugged in and communicating with Ineos. There is no remote update facility at present.
My retired architect mate who has had a 60 yr love affair with Citroens once complained to me that Citroen had the same arrangement... no dealer internet contact with HQ in France meant no diagnostics or updates! don't know if it's still the same situation.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
Come on Ineos. My phone updates itself remotely. My laptop does . Firefox and microsoft do. Even my bloody TV has a hissy fit periodically until it is allowed to reboot.
Why is the suggestion that the software update must be done by a specially dressed technician from Ineos called 'Senior flying spanner'.
Ah yes he has access to the only update machine. A modified play station controller, 4 crocodile clips, blunt wire strippers, the wrong size cross head screwdriver and lastly the continuitity tester that never worked.
WE alll have these :)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Come on Ineos. My phone updates itself remotely. My laptop does . Firefox and microsoft do. Even my bloody TV has a hissy fit periodically until it is allowed to reboot.
Why is the suggestion that the software update must be done by a specially dressed technician from Ineos called 'Senior flying spanner'.
Ah yes he has access to the only update machine. A modified play station controller, 4 crocodile clips, blunt wire strippers, the wrong size cross head screwdriver and lastly the continuitity tester that never worked.
....and an endless supply of 10mm sockets

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
I think in this case we are not talking about an update but about a complete new release. You do not want to do this via the air. It does not mean that this needs to be done by the flying spanne but I guess they want to inspect the car overall given the fact the workshop do not have this massive experience with the vehicle. Call love or dedication;-) I think the problem is the interworking with main car sw communicating via the Canbus with the Neusoft SW. However I do know not anything about the IG sw architecture.
And I would like to understand in case of non critical error messages (which may set the car in limb mode) in the wilderness if there is a way to reset/flash the system. Will there be tools for us available to access the OBD?
Three years ago I was with some friends in Ethiopia with the latest BMW motorcycles and we could not reset the system unless you are connected via the OBD to the BMW cloud. We had the issue that the semi-active suspension was out of control and driving was super dangerous and thus impossibile.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps you are asking the wrong question? Why is there a need for software updates? I for one don't want "regular" software updates.

The change management associated with undertaking these tasks properly should be enough to put anyone off.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps you are asking the wrong question? Why is there a need for software updates? I for one don't want "regular" software updates.

The change management associated with undertaking these tasks properly should be enough to put anyone off.
I was wondering why you need a software update on a new car anyway. Shouldn’t all the supposed testing they’ve done already covered all these minor issue and also the PDI. What have they been testing all along?

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

100%. I for one would like my vehicle to be less connected. The idea that many brands can actually keep you from operating your vehicle remotely is disturbing to say the least.

Reactions: PBD

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
Our family car is currently a Ford. To update it you need to "buy" the free update from a website, load it onto a specially formatted USB drive, and hopefully the car recognizes it. It then takes about 90 minutes of loading time while the car is on, then maybe it takes. Same deal for a map update, which was critical as the car wasn't aware of highway rerouting that occurred near me before COVID. The GPS won't load unless the system is up to date. Miserable experience. When I changed the battery, BMW needed to hook my M3 up to the cloud overnight to load an update and charged me for the privilege. If Ineos is willing to do the update for free, jump at the chance, even if being without your truck is inconvenient.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How are software updates done. Does the Grenadier have to be plugged in to a Computer or can updates be done remotely via SIM card that is for the Ecall system. (I’m presuming that there is a SIM card for this system) The reason I’m enquiring is that on Monday morning on my commUte to work I had error messages for HHC not available, TSM not available, and Transfer case in neutral, although the vehicle drives well and no apparent faults, this is on top of TPMS, Power steering Climate control and airbag system warning errors over the weekend but no actual fault with vehicle ,those errors did not occur on Monday. All error messages were reported to Ineos via the dealer as requested. Yesterday went out for a short spin around town and no warning messages whatsoever. Could it be that the system has been updated remotely? I’m not a techie person so don’t even know if this is possible.
Did you ever find out what HHC actually is? I have seen that warning when playing with my diff locks. Can't find reference in the handbook or on the internet.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does HHC stand for Hill Hold Control?

The handbook talks about Uphill Assist but it's known as both and is the same thing.

Edit: beaten to it!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And we already had a photo of it, courtesy of @Cheshire cat (ignore blue arrow) :
IMG_20230530_082640 (1).jpg

Carefant

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Heard today from my dealer in Plymouth, England, that my Fieldmaster (ordered June ‘22 🤪) is due in this week 👍🏼. Dealer-fit accessories, incl. side runners, are not yet back in stock. Also, he expects the long-awaited software update to land “in the next week”. I’m hoping the stars might align and I can do the 3-hour round trip to the dealer just the once 😁.

Carefant

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just spoken to my dealer; my Fieldmaster has arrived 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Regarding the software update, the dealer (in UK) was promised it for last Friday 1st September, but it didn’t materialise. As I can’t pick the vehicle up for several days, I’m hoping the update will arrive and be applied before I collect. Same goes for side runners. Wife is going to be pretty unhappy if she can’t clamber into the cab without manual assistance 😝

Btw, I said I’d send him a list of additional items to check prior to collection (from this Forum), and he was perfectly happy to add these to the standard PDI process, which is nice 😊

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Regarding the software update, the dealer (in UK) was promised it for last Friday 1st September, but it didn’t materialise. As I can’t pick the vehicle up for several days, I’m hoping the update will arrive and be applied before I collect. Same goes for side runners. Wife is going to be pretty unhappy if she can’t clamber into the cab without manual assistance 😝

Btw, I said I’d send him a list of additional items to check prior to collection (from this Forum), and he was perfectly happy to add these to the standard PDI process, which is nice 😊
Can you post your list here, please? Would be interesting to cross-reference and even from their perspective...bet you can't wait...I have had my girl now for 3000ks and loving it...my biggest bug issue is not putting the window down a fraction and then having to be firmer on the door again...the seals are brilliant and takes time to get used to them, passengers and drivers not rears...what a problem to have...brilliant

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score

When I picked up my car last Friday the agent thought the new software update was definately within 2 weeks - so around 1 week from now.

Back
Top Bottom