The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. Have you noticed any vibrations around 1800 rpm. Others have reported this and feels like it's coming from the driveline.
To be honest i have not felt anything out of the ordinary.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that the Grenadier is a traditional old school car, without transistors.

So we have to wait until all the tubes are heated up before driving off.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
Have to wonder if any permanent damage has been done to the batteries whilst sitting in 'batch n hold'. Mine commenced it's build in January with delivery due in August, wonder if they kept the batteries charged during this time, best case disconnected? 😉
100% no damage to a new fully charged battery, even if it lost a lot of charge sitting unused for a few months and was then either recharged or simply driven onto/off road carriers

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Have to wonder if any permanent damage has been done to the batteries whilst sitting in 'batch n hold'. Mine commenced it's build in January with delivery due in August, wonder if they kept the batteries charged during this time, best case disconnected? 😉
Not likely with the EFB batteries but generally lead acid don't like sitting undercharged on a regular basis. Reason why older tech lead acid don't last more than a couple of years in vehicles. The alternator alone cannot charge a lead acid battery to 100% so sulphation builds up overtime. My Jeep GC starter is an AGM under the seat, they charge quicker, are suitable for stop/start and more resilient to sulphation, but still need to be charged once a month or so to 100%, they can last 6-9yrs. Not sure why Ineos didn't go with AGM, especially as the battery is not under the bonnet and exposed to heat, cost maybe.

Attachments

• EFB.jpeg
    EFB.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 63

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, now I get to summarize some new experiences again, even though other circumstances do not allow me to drive the Grenadier every day and extensively.
- So far I have 1400 km on the clock
- The consumption is currently at 12.3 liters, where I am with the exception of two highway trips exclusively on small country roads. I am sure that it comes with good driving on longer routes on less then 11 liters of diesel.
- I hardly have any electrical faults anymore. Only the seat belt warning for the back seat (but no one was sitting there) always appears after turning on the ignition, but goes out immediately after starting the engine.
- After the ignition is switched on, error messages regarding transmission, pdc and ecall still come up from time to time. However, these disappear after starting the engine.
- Heating, air conditioning, ventilation basically work. However, the air outlet is not always exactly where it is indicated on the dial. Sometimes there is still little air coming out of nozzles that I have not selected. However, the changes to the settings only take effect after a few seconds delay. So wait and see. For me, this is not a problem.
- On the subject of vibrations, people have repeatedly asked about this. First of all, this does not mean a comparison with a vibrating plate. Every engine, every gearbox, every machine has natural frequencies, resonance frequencies, which lead to slight vibrations and thus noises. At about 1800-1900 rpm, regardless of the speed, you can feel them on the accelerator pedal or hear them very slightly due to the excited vibrations in the plastic trim or sheet metal.
However, I think that many of you do not notice this at all because they do not pay attention to it. I can provoke these vibrations by holding the speed accordingly. For me it is not a cause for concern, but unsightly, as I am often driving at 100 km/h in 8th gear and that is exactly the 1800-1900 rpm.
- It copes well with bumps or holes in the road.
- I washed it with a hose, brush and water (no shampoo) and held it intensively on the roof and windshield frame. Until now I could not detect any water penetration. I do not have safari windows in the roof.
- My family uses the side runners all the time. Without them, getting in would be really really difficult for them. I am very tall (>1.9 m) and do not use you to get in, only to get out. When getting in, I already slide easily over the side bolster of the seat. Let's see if he can stand it in the long run. In the Defender with Scheelmann seat it has then at some point slight cracks in the cover.
Pure wear and tear would not be a problem for me, as I will use seat covers.

Little things that are not disturbing and not in my focus:
- No storage compartments in the boot. I'll build something there. - You can't get to the drink holders in the rear side doors while driving because the seat blocks access. - The shelves on the dashboard in front of the steering wheel and in front of the gear lever are unusable because the plastic is far too hard and slippery. - Due to the side panels I have instead of the windows, the background noise in the vehicle is more than in a vehicle with rear side windows. But I deliberately chose the panels and I was aware of that.
Unfortunately, since I use the Grenadier for driving and not for entertainment, I can hardly report any experience with infotainment. That will probably come later. All in all a great vehicle! It's fun to drive. Look forward to it!

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe the vibration relates to engine load/ gearing.
Our petrol hire car didn't like accelerating in 5th or 6th up the slightest incline. Very noticeable shaking. Not that I drive in high gears uphill as a rule! But sometimes with all the bloody roundabouts I forgot which gear I was in.

Reactions: Max

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A very good and factual review and summary. (y)

Thank you.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe the vibration relates to engine load/ gearing.
Our petrol hire car didn't like accelerating in 5th or 6th up the slightest incline. Very noticeable shaking. Not that I drive in high gears uphill as a rule! But sometimes with all the bloody roundabouts I forgot which gear I was in.
Yes, it is related to that. Of course I can shift manually and thus change the speed. But since I often use the automatic, I always come across this frequency.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the vibration belongs more to the tires, I feel it too, around 1800rpm. So I have not the diesel…. Should be interessting if the vibrations are different at different tyre types.
I agree 100% with the review of rovie, at the moment still done 300km on tarmac, offroad next week in scotland 🤗
Since the battery is now over 91% (pickup with 80%) a lot of errors disappeared. Only the belt warning right side backseat is really steady. Now I closed the belt, even if there is no person sitting.
Waiting now for Software Update, side steps(everytime for my 1,60m tall wife a challenge) and roof bar.

Reactions: Max

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the vibration belongs more to the tires, I feel it too, around 1800rpm. So I have not the diesel…. Should be interesting if the vibrations are different at different tyre types.
I get the same vibration in my Ranger Raptor around the 1900 - 2000rpm range (2Lt 4 cyl diesel). It's definitely rpm, not speed related. I also run 33" BFG KO2's but they've done 30,000km so far, quite a different situation compared to the KO2's on the new Gren's.

The vibration could be a possible driveshaft imbalance. I got something similar in my M3 once. I took the drive shaft off to replace the centre bearing support and I never got it smooth again, there was always a tiny bit of vibration at certain rpm's that wasn't there prior. So when I felt it in my Ranger Raptor, I wondered if it was: the engine, the tranny or driveshaft. Still not sure but it doesn't seem to affect the running.

Local time
Reaction score
Our was ok when delivered they after 1000 miles noticed a vibration . Turned out to be a heat shield near the transfer box gently tweaked it by hand about 1mm no noise now. Think it had relaxed during the run in process.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Our was ok when delivered they after 1000 miles noticed a vibration . Turned out to be a heat shield near the transfer box gently tweaked it by hand about 1mm no noise now. Think it had relaxed during the run in process.
That sounds the same as my vibration/rattle, can you post a photo of the shield you “adjusted “ so I can do mine please.

Local time
Reaction score
That sounds the same as my vibration/rattle, can you post a photo of the shield you “adjusted “ so I can do mine please.
Mines a petrol and I have to say I adjusted the bit that needed to be yours may differ will sort a photo out later

• Love
Reactions: PBD

simonpa

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe a strange one but not previously raised on the forum - when the vehicle ( petrol ) is stationery with engine running there is a strong
smell of exhaust fumes within which clears when journey is resumed !
Could be just 'new vehicle' burn off as have only done 500 miles so far.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe a strange one but not previously raised on the forum - when the vehicle ( petrol ) is stationery with engine running there is a strong
smell of exhaust fumes within which clears when journey is resumed !
Could be just 'new vehicle' burn off as have only done 500 miles so far.
Windows open or shut?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @PBD, I have looked at all the shields on the underbody and also found one that makes noise by vibrating in contact with the lower sheet metal protection (black part). I have adjusted it slightly and will do another test drive. The shield at the very back of the rear is also not sufficiently fixed in my view. Nothing has been forgotten. But fixing it in 2 more places would have been good. It can swing well. But I have tried to bend it in such a way that it does not touch other parts. Let`s see.Grenadier bottom 1.jpgGrenadier bottom 2.jpg

richardknight

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly!

How‘s the on-road experience?
Just a word of advice regarding the dash-top storage. Make a mental note not to use it unless you are stationary, especially if the front windows are down. Had my expensive sunglasses on there the other day while going round a roundabout, at a pretty slow speed, the glasses slid across the dash and flew straight out of the passenger window. Luckily it was pretty quiet and the 2 cars behind both missed them, so just a few scuffs on this occasion. But could easily have been a £200 mistake!
😎

Back
Top Bottom