The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
I think when recording faults, it would be handy to list VIN and also which software version the car is operating to see if certain issues are prevalent throughout all vehicles and whether certain issues affect particular VIN ranges.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
2 weeks so far and here is a copy of the fault log
Did you happen to note the battery state of charge at pickup, or while noting the faults? Were you letting it cycle through its pre startup checks before starting?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Its a pleasure to drive and is BIG!! and very very happy overall,

2 weeks so far and here is a copy of the fault log Jardine's say Don't worry all is fine and will be sorted at the software update and fitting of missing side steps and picknick table.

I would be in a right mess taking the Grenadier for a UK MOT with all this stuff popping up.

I would endorse Jean Mercier's comments, espically the missing side steps !!! with the exception of sun roofs - dont have them,

Current consumption 29.1 UK miles to UK gallon

I really love the function to switch from Miles to Kilometres for the speed ace. - currently in Normandy with the jeep [1942 version] which it towed here like a dream

The one thing that really bugs me is the misalignment of small door to the 30% seat that is a real basic schoolboy error and such a missed opportunity.

View attachment 7814697
I like the spreadsheet. My wife said I should have done the same thing but you either have that type of mind or you don’t. 🤷‍♂️

beanohallett

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you happen to note the battery state of charge at pickup, or while noting the faults? Were you letting it cycle through its pre startup checks before starting?
Hi mark,

I let it do the prestart up which ends with the three bongs, the battery condition was 82% on pick up, will see whats it like at the end of the week.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi mark,

I let it do the prestart up which ends with the three bongs, the battery condition was 82% on pick up, will see whats it like at the end of the week.
I would think battery needs to be over 90% in order to be considered, fully charged.

Reactions: PBD

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So for those without electrical gremlins, what “bongs” do we have to live with day to day? Ie on startup etc.
During the test drives, and I’m sure in one of the videos, the Ineos rep said the IG would have next to none.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So for those without electrical gremlins, what “bongs” do we have to live with day to day? Ie on startup etc.
During the test drives, and I’m sure in one of the videos, the Ineos rep said the IG would have next to none.
Immediately after turning on the ignition, I sometimes get an orange “Transmission Error”, but this always clears during the boot up process. I have got into the habit of waiting for Android Auto to fully load, and once complete, I consider the boot up process finished and start the car.

Following this process, I haven’t had any electrical issues for 1,400 miles.

May be it’s just coincidence and I’m lucky

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Immediately after turning on the ignition, I sometimes get an orange “Transmission Error”, but this always clears during the boot up process. I have got into the habit of waiting for Android Auto to fully load, and once complete, I consider the boot up process finished and start the car.

Following this process, I haven’t had any electrical issues for 1,400 miles.

May be it’s just coincidence and I’m lucky
Sorry, by “bongs” I meant audible warnings that come on. Either on start up, or if the door is opened when the motor is running etc etc.
Modem vehicles seem to have a bloody sound go off for all sorts of reasons and the IA rep said the IG didn’t have many.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I get a single bong every time the vehicle moves forward or backwards from stationary. No visual warning.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Helllo team , My little update on my infant Gren.
Odo reads 380 miles .
CombiNed highway and city .

Pros :
Big + sturdy .
Impressive build quality ( have not found anything to complain )
Good road handling
Sitting position for me is very comfortable . Do not Mind the upright nature of it .
Foot rest on RHD a non issue for me .
For my size 180cm- 105Kg My elbows sit comfortably on the door shelf on the right with one hand on the steering And on the centre console lid on the left .
Apple car play works like a charm ( first time i had it in a car ) Sound while talking on the phone i am being told is crystal clear.
Engine roar is very cool in the diesel , on ”hard” acceleration you feel as if you are strapped to it , quite enjoy that .Once windows are closed there is limited road noise .
Audio system is perfectly adequate for me . I am no audiophile But my music from my phone sounded perfectly normal . No complains.
I usually hate start stop in cars but in the Gren I just do not mind it , the bit that usually annoys me is the fact the the car jitters a bit on stop and restart . On the Gren i cannot feel any movement when it stops or restarts .
Gear box is perfectly smooth , i cannot feel the gears changing . Unless i am looking directly at the screeen i cannot tell if it changed gear, Especially on smooth acceleration . On hard acceleration might be able to notice it more .
Safari windows let light in but no sun .
Visibility out of front and side windows perfectly good , and you can see how far the bonnet is.

Diesel engine has been able to pull the Gren on cruise control at 75-79 mph , ac on full blast @ 2 -2.1k RPM In 8th gear . Did not seem to struggle .

Cons and other observations :

Vertical windscreen makes it a very big fly swatter
Several warning on the infotainment screen seen thought the past days but no audible sounds . Nothing influenced the way the car drove . And no warnings on the small screen in front of the driver .
I need to adapt my driving style to the steering ( simply no way to make hairpin turns in small cities ) Perfectly happy with it just need to adjust to it . Absorbs all bumps in the road.
The side mirors as Jean mentioned have a decent size blind spot ( a BMW 3 series managed to disappear into mine .) I got in The habit of looking over my shoulder also while changing lanes from my Nissan patrol days so that is not a problem for Me , might be to the utility guys .
Rear view is also not ideal ( partly due to the big door frame of the 2 doors ) , compared to my Nissan patrol the door frames are almost double the size . I would not tailgate a genadier , a mini was tailgating me yesterday and it was completely covered by the rear wheel . Only noticed them when they swerved a bit and got a glimpse of them on the right side mirror .
Have not had to do any hard braking and the car stop adequately i think . But maybe for peace of mind or when towing upgrading the calipers might be better. ( take this with a pintch of salt as i have not fully tested it )
The screen when changing between menus of the car has a bit of lag . But no appreciable lag in car play .

The car is a big dude magnet !! Every time i stopped guys will come up for a chat ! quite glad people enjoy seeing them in the wild.

Overall i am very happy with it . I feel they have delivered what they promised .

I will do my first oil change after the break in period . Circa 500-600 miles . I know this is a very polarizing subject. Will update you once i have done it .

Hope this helps . Any major problems going forward will update .

Local time
Reaction score
Odo reads 380 miles .
CombiNed highway and city .

Pros :
Big + sturdy .
Impressive build quality ( have not found anything to complain )
Good road handling
Sitting position for me is very comfortable . Do not Mind the upright nature of it .
Foot rest on RHD a non issue for me .
For my size 180cm- 105Kg My elbows sit comfortably on the door shelf on the right with one hand on the steering And on the centre console lid on the left .
Apple car play works like a charm ( first time i had it in a car ) Sound while talking on the phone i am being told is crystal clear.
Engine roar is very cool in the diesel , on ”hard” acceleration you feel as if you are strapped to it , quite enjoy that .Once windows are closed there is limited road noise .
Audio system is perfectly adequate for me . I am no audiophile But my music from my phone sounded perfectly normal . No complains.
I usually hate start stop in cars but in the Gren I just do not mind it , the bit that usually annoys me is the fact the the car jitters a bit on stop and restart . On the Gren i cannot feel any movement when it stops or restarts .
Gear box is perfectly smooth , i cannot feel the gears changing . Unless i am looking directly at the screeen i cannot tell if it changed gear, Especially on smooth acceleration . On hard acceleration might be able to notice it more .
Safari windows let light in but no sun .
Visibility out of front and side windows perfectly good , and you can see how far the bonnet is.

Diesel engine has been able to pull the Gren on cruise control at 75-79 mph , ac on full blast @ 2 -2.1k RPM In 8th gear . Did not seem to struggle .

Cons and other observations :

Vertical windscreen makes it a very big fly swatter
Several warning on the infotainment screen seen thought the past days but no audible sounds . Nothing influenced the way the car drove . And no warnings on the small screen in front of the driver .
I need to adapt my driving style to the steering ( simply no way to make hairpin turns in small cities ) Perfectly happy with it just need to adjust to it . Absorbs all bumps in the road.
The side mirors as Jean mentioned have a decent size blind spot ( a BMW 3 series managed to disappear into mine .) I got in The habit of looking over my shoulder also while changing lanes from my Nissan patrol days so that is not a problem for Me , might be to the utility guys .
Rear view is also not ideal ( partly due to the big door frame of the 2 doors ) , compared to my Nissan patrol the door frames are almost double the size . I would not tailgate a genadier , a mini was tailgating me yesterday and it was completely covered by the rear wheel . Only noticed them when they swerved a bit and got a glimpse of them on the right side mirror .
Have not had to do any hard braking and the car stop adequately i think . But maybe for peace of mind or when towing upgrading the calipers might be better. ( take this with a pintch of salt as i have not fully tested it )
The screen when changing between menus of the car has a bit of lag . But no appreciable lag in car play .

The car is a big dude magnet !! Every time i stopped guys will come up for a chat ! quite glad people enjoy seeing them in the wild.

Overall i am very happy with it . I feel they have delivered what they promised .

I will do my first oil change after the break in period . Circa 500-600 miles . I know this is a very polarizing subject. Will update you once i have done it .

Hope this helps . Any major problems going forward will update .
So you just took it up to 80 MPH and didn't run it in??

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Running it , as i understand it means no hard breaking and no hard acceleration in any gear , smooth acceleration and maintaining speed did not think it is a problem . as i said at 80 mph was sitting at 2-2.1k rpm . Happy to be corrected .

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
It is not so much the speed when running in but the revs and load that you put on the engine...a diesel should not be loaded up and that won't happen unless you change to manual mode... which is putting into high gear at low revs...when running in a diesel or really any engine like variation and not sit on that one speed or gear for long times...I am lucky and live on the top of a hill so my engines[about 10 diesels]have had the chance to just roll down whilst warming without load...no issues...the ZF will help the process.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The diesel has been detuned so much that you couldn't push it to it's limits no matter what you do.
Just makes sense though to take it easy for 500-1,000kms so you can get all the ancillary components bedded in and lubed up.
Also gives you chance to get th know your vehicle, it's sounds and smells and see if anything has been installed incorrectly.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
the battery condition was 82% on pick up
If you have a 3-5 stage charger maybe give it about 6hrs to fully bring the battery to foat, it will also get rid of any sulphation that may have built up on the plates in the batch & hold period. You can use the pos & neg posts under the bonnet. Be interesting to see if that makes any difference to the warnings.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Odo reads 380 miles .
Thanks for the review. Have you noticed any vibrations around 1800 rpm. Others have reported this and feels like it's coming from the driveline.

Reactions: PBD

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you have a 3-5 stage charger maybe give it about 6hrs to fully bring the battery to foat, it will also get rid of any sulphation that may have built up on the plates in the batch & hold period. You can use the pos & neg posts under the bonnet. Be interesting to see if that makes any difference to the warnings.
Have to wonder if any permanent damage has been done to the batteries whilst sitting in 'batch n hold'. Mine commenced it's build in January with delivery due in August, wonder if they kept the batteries charged during this time, best case disconnected? 😉

Back
Top Bottom