The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
Picked up on Friday just drove 300 km the usual malfunction wet feet, emergency call malfunction, gear shift lever not working but what I miss most is the ignition switch lighting up at night

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Picked up on Friday just drove 300 km the usual malfunction wet feet, emergency call malfunction, gear shift lever not working but what I miss most is the ignition switch lighting up at night
The door shower astonishingly disappeared in the meantime. - We had yesterday an evening out on Bad Homburg and we had some friends with us. So quite wet yesterday and the days before but somehow the water collection in doors "disappeared by itself" magically. Don't know why - but the water was collecting up in the first days of ownership but became successively less and less.
Just by using it..
Not a single strange error message appeared since in posession.
So far also no issues like gear lever or malfunction messages.

The topic of ingnition key not illuminated - confirm this is a design error.

What I had yesterday a lot of water drops on rear view camera lens.
This is also a design error but the camera is something I am anyway not fond of, neither on Discovery nor Grenadier.
If a rear view / reverse camera is to be installed the in should be covered when not in use, and with a cleaning brush attached and only out when in reverse mode.
In both cars this is a shitty design. However it was never a deal breaker and I told it to the Ineos driving instructor at the Aufenau event last year. Know how to reverse using mirrors. .. The problem of the not illuminated ignition I will resolve by other ideas.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
Got to test drive a Fieldmaster on the road. Still the same solid ride as my off road test drive. What struck me most was the small steering wheel diameter. Thickness is fine. And the speedometer position will take some getting used to. Power is sufficient.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got to test drive a Fieldmaster on the road. Still the same solid ride as my off road test drive. What struck me most was the small steering wheel diameter. Thickness is fine. And the speedometer position will take some getting used to. Power is sufficient.
yesterday I had my first night ride on the 3 lane per direction Autobahn A5 close to Frankfurt Main, nasty weather conditions, hefty traffic. The small steering wheel is no issue. What’s irritating only thing is the green Indicator lights on and straight view on the road. even in low there is enormous illumination in front. The speedo in the middle doesn’t matter. Nasty are the grooves in road from truck /hgv tyres where water is collected .. lots of spray in front of headlamps. However Position of windscreen and elevated position has an advantage less water spray on windscreen seem to appear. I was on slower cruise speed than anticipated. The BFG is not very well on wet road and feels a bit spongy when changing lanes.

stuart1927

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I took my Grenadier for it's first run off-tarmac yesterday. Nothing very challenging, just the Kiwi road in Taranaki (New Zealand North Island) but this car really feels at home on gravel roads with mixed ruts. The Grenadier suspension and steering really comes into it's own on this terrain. I've done this road before in my FJ cruiser, but the Grenadier was altogether more composed/relaxed. Steering feels really great off road. Looking forward to getting into more challenging terrain over the next few months.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
yesterday I had my first night ride on the 3 lane per direction Autobahn A5 close to Frankfurt Main, nasty weather conditions, hefty traffic. The small steering wheel is no issue. What’s irritating only thing is the green Indicator lights on and straight view on the road. even in low there is enormous illumination in front. The speedo in the middle doesn’t matter. Nasty are the grooves in road from truck /hgv tyres where water is collected .. lots of spray in front of headlamps. However Position of windscreen and elevated position has an advantage less water spray on windscreen seem to appear. I was on slower cruise speed than anticipated. The BFG is not very well on wet road and feels a bit spongy when changing lanes.
How fast were you driving? :cool: Aquaplaning is an ever present threat... especially for A/T tyres. The K02 tyres are competent but not optimised for heavy wet weather travelling at high speed on smooth surfaces (especially when they're half worn!!).
The illumination controls are frankly disappointing for night driving when external ambient light is low (outside city /suburban environments with low or no street lighting).
The rear door windows also reflect light from the front into the rear vision mirror at times... most annoying! Even the addition of tint hasn't really reduced that reflection.🤷‍♂️

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How fast were you driving? :cool: Aquaplaning is an ever present threat... especially for A/T tyres. The K02 tyres are competent but not optimised for heavy wet weather travelling at high speed on smooth surfaces (especially when they're half worn!!).
The illumination controls are frankly disappointing for night driving when external ambient light is low (outside city /suburban environments with low or no street lighting).
The rear door windows also reflect light from the front into the rear vision mirror at times... most annoying! Even the addition of tint hasn't really reduced that reflection.🤷‍♂️
The traffic was on all lanes about 60-65 mph. The reflection I found not yet that annoying. But Rhein-Main region is rather dense populated and there is anyway a lot of light "pollution" I might have a different impression when travelling in other regions.

How many miles do the KO2 last? - I do not think the tyre next will become a KO2 again.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
The traffic was on all lanes about 60-65 mph. The reflection I found not yet that annoying. But Rhein-Main region is rather dense populated and there is anyway a lot of light "pollution" I might have a different impression when travelling in other regions.

How many miles do the KO2 last? - I do not think the tyre next will become a KO2 again.
On US BFG website, the KO2 are warranted for 50,000 miles ( ~80,000km).

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
How fast were you driving? :cool: Aquaplaning is an ever present threat... especially for A/T tyres. The K02 tyres are competent but not optimised for heavy wet weather travelling at high speed on smooth surfaces (especially when they're half worn!!).🤷‍♂️
I can partly confirm this for the Duelers, but experience is not consistent:

2 weeks ago, heavy rain, night, left lane ~110km/h, suddenly massive puddle on the left side. That indeed was some kind of experience I haven't had before, and don't need again in future...

OTOH, another ~2 weeks earlier on Austrian motorway, 130km/h, also _heavy_(!) rain, daylight, experience just the opposite: Reassuring as with no vehicle before! Got the feeling it would simply plough through every flooding with no reaction at all.
Remarkable: In this weather, I got overtaken with >150km/h by a guy from France in an insanely tuned Defender90TD5 with RTT and 33"A/Ts, i spoke to him ~20min earlier on a parking lot. He told me he was emigrating to Romania, one main reason was that there's serious 4x4 possible even nowadays :)
Lesson learnt: Confidence & good nerves seem to compensate the lack of tyre capabilities ;-)

Last edited:

BillyBunter

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
It's been monsoon like in Southern Britain over the last few weeks. Lots of localised flooding. One thing I am loving it that I can just go through anything. Most other people are turning round or going through puddles gingerly. I can just proceed with confidence. Was driving down the M6 south from Lancaster and it was like a firehose spraying against the car. Felt very comfortable. Obviously driving sensible to avoid aquaplaning but felt very solid, stable and secure.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
I'm from Houston, so I have flood experience. Please don't drive fast through floods in neighborhoods, your wake will push the water further into the homes. Lots of lifted pickups think they are cool driving fast but they are just a-holes.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Be very wary driving thorough UK floods in urban areas; it is not unknown for the manhole covers to get lifted. Crash into a manhole cover and you will know about it, rather like driving into a kerbstone. Worse, putting a wheel down a hole will ruin the tyre, wheel and axle.

Standard, (boring) advice is avoid floods wherever possible, ascertain the depth before proceeding and minimise your wake. If a road is marked as closed, (by the highway authority), your insurers may choose not to pay for any damage.

The most expensive vehicle we have, (as Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response), fished out of one of the usual flood prone areas is a BMW X5M with lots of toys, about £135k. X5s will hydro-lock in 4 inches of water at 40mph, which ruins the engine.

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This ladderengine lost the rear axle while driving through the flooded city of Geilenkirchen:

youtube-link

So always try to avoid driving flooded areas unless really necessary.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I took my Grenadier for it's first run off-tarmac yesterday. Nothing very challenging, just the Kiwi road in Taranaki (New Zealand North Island) but this car really feels at home on gravel roads with mixed ruts. The Grenadier suspension and steering really comes into it's own on this terrain. I've done this road before in my FJ cruiser, but the Grenadier was altogether more composed/relaxed. Steering feels really great off road. Looking forward to getting into more challenging terrain over the next few months.
Did you lock the centre diff?...I have found it worthwhile on gravel and rutted roads...plus it takes the ESC out of play...happy motoring

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought someone mentioned here in the last day or so that they are a European compound and softer than those supplied to US and I assume Aus markets.
Yes, I was told here in Oz that it is likely we won't have as much wear with the European BFGs as the Oz compound...no idea of the USA compounds...the compounds must be rated to different speeds...google that 😂

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
Yes, I was told here in Oz that it is likely we won't have as much wear with the European BFGs as the Oz compound...no idea of the USA compounds...the compounds must be rated to different speeds...google that 😂
Have you checked your tyres - mine are made in USA.

Attachments

• IMG_6233.jpeg
    IMG_6233.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 131
Back
Top Bottom