The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sick of waiting

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score
The fools in Tassy actually know their energy is green , and that their state is a world leader!
My apologies I forgot Tassies wonderful hydro power system.
I seem to recall a lot of greenies who didn't think it was very green at the time.
The HEC was a huge customer of mine when I lived down there so I shouldn't have forgotten them.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As someone who runs a lorry, a Mercedes sprinter tipper and numerous plant machinery in the UK, I'm very skeptical about the 2030 cut off for petrol and diesel vehicles.

For me to replace my current trucks, there are zero EV alternatives. 7 years doesn't seem like a long time for these vehicles to appear, given the technology doesn't exist yet.... 🤔

For lorries, the weight of the battery packs needed would massively reduce the carrying capacity if we stick to the current weight system, ie 7.5 tonnes etc. So unless batteries take a massive leap forward in 7 years, how are all these small business going to survive with this hideous regulation?

Time will tell but I think diesel truck sales is 2029 may go through the roof
Yes I agree
This is an interesting video from Harry Metcalf

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My apologies I forgot Tassies wonderful hydro power system.
I seem to recall a lot of greenies who didn't think it was very green at the time.
The HEC was a huge customer of mine when I lived down there so I shouldn't have forgotten them.
However , the mining trucks and other rural & plant equip in Tas run on diesel...
So that's something to keep the greenies fuelled up for now ;>)

Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Hydrogen. Not only would a shift to hydrogen require building out new infrastructure, but it does not seem like the right fuel source for cars. Based on efficiency calculations, there are two types of hydrogen: Blue Hydrogen and Green Hydrogen.

Blue Hydrogen: the power for the electrolysis process to separate hydrogen from water is derived from fossil fuels. In the U.S., about 10 million metric tons of hydrogen are produced from oil and gas annually, and much more than that globally. However, only 1% of global hydrogen production is currently using carbon capture and storage to reduce emissions. So this form of producing hydrogen is not a "green" solution to energy needs. The use-case for blue hydrogen in cars is to relocate the site of emissions from congested urban areas to some other place - but you still have emissions. Oil companies promote blue hydrogen with carbon capture for obvious reasons (the continued use of fossil fuels), but the reality is that we are a long, long way from the widespread use of carbon capture.

Green Hydrogen: uses renewable energy to separate hydrogen from water. Only a tiny fraction of hydrogen being produced now is done so using renewable energy. You might argue, however, that this could change in the future. Sure, but even if most hydrogen we use for fuel ends up getting produced using renewable energy, there is still a very significant problem: green hydrogen production requires a lot of electricity to power the electrolysis process – electricity that could otherwise be used to directly power homes, transportation and industry. It is more efficient to use the electricity from renewables directly, rather than to use it to make hydrogen. The best use-case for green hydrogen is for powering something like a hydrogen plane (in development now). Planes have high emissions, and will probably never fly on electric batteries. Using green energy to make hydrogen involves a lot of loss of energy, but might be worth the inefficiencies in exchange for green flight. According to the report below, you get about 80% efficiency from using renewable energy to make electricity for use in an electric car; you only get about 30% efficiency from using renewable energy to make hydrogen for use in a car.

I've attached a short article here, and in that article there is a link to a longer paper - for anyone who might be interested.

Attachments

• 2109 Hydrogen Blue vs Green.pdf
    323 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Sam

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
Curious about what will happen now. ;-)

dynosoar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Oops. Misread that.
The build date has disappeared. Matt was my order date

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
Some rather elitist attitudes here about people’s ‘lifestyles’ going away…

Right now I drive an Escalade? Is my lifestyle evil? It’s 10 years old and I have less than 40,000 miles on it. My neighbor is on his third Tesla in the same time and drives that thing silly.

Full EV implementation is like autonomous driving cars, a few years away for the past 20 years…. I’m not against EVs, frankly they are more EOTWAWKI than a gas or even diesel vehicle if you have enough solar panels And spare batteries. The torque profile and 4WD options are interesting. I wish there were general aviation airplanes with EV systems that made sense. But for cars batteries and solar cells wear out and are of questionable recyclability- never minding production. What I don’t like is mandates- govt ideas SO GOOD that the have to be mandated..

When there is a cry to bring back nuclear energy, that’s when you know people are serious.

Right now I’m looking for a 23 model, and also thinking that I’ll take one from 29-30‘ if those are the last ones.

Local time
Reaction score
Some rather elitist attitudes here about people’s ‘lifestyles’ going away…

Right now I drive an Escalade? Is my lifestyle evil? It’s 10 years old and I have less than 40,000 miles on it. My neighbor is on his third Tesla in the same time and drives that thing silly.

Full EV implementation is like autonomous driving cars, a few years away for the past 20 years…. I’m not against EVs, frankly they are more EOTWAWKI than a gas or even diesel vehicle if you have enough solar panels And spare batteries. The torque profile and 4WD options are interesting. I wish there were general aviation airplanes with EV systems that made sense. But for cars batteries and solar cells wear out and are of questionable recyclability- never minding production. What I don’t like is mandates- govt ideas SO GOOD that the have to be mandated..

When there is a cry to bring back nuclear energy, that’s when you know people are serious.

Right now I’m looking for a 23 model, and also thinking that I’ll take one from 29-30‘ if those are the last ones.
Since you like government mandates as much as I do, what do you think about this (from Associated Press):

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My order date is May 22. I had a build date of March 22. That changed to Feb 22 and now there is no build date at all. I wonder what that means? Some communication from the company would be good.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My order date is May 22. I had a build date of March 22. That changed to Feb 22 and now there is no build date at all. I wonder what that means? Some communication from the company would be good.
Did you mean March 23, and Feb 23?

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Build dates aren’t showing at the moment due to a website upgrade.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As we approach 1 year since the earliest of us reserved our Grenadiers I am growing concerned at the lack of official communication. The last we heard from Ineos was on the 5th August regarding a small delay. Since then we have not been updated on the production of our Grenadiers and our build slots have disappeared on the portal leaving a lot of people (including myself) wondering what is really happening. A website upgrade should not take 5 days!

I like to think that I have been patient and forgiving with Ineos Automative, given they are a new company launching a new vehicle in difficult global circumstances. But, I have had to contend with a huge amount of hassle trying to place and pay for an order online, change my preferred colour to my second choice to avoid further delays, and still have nothing in writing that confirms my adjusted order details or build slot. I'm trying to hang in there, but really it's not a great experience so far.

I'm still enthusiastic about the vehicle and looking forward to owning it but I am down to the one small runaround car at the moment and really need a second larger car. Do I hire an SUV for a few months, or 6 months? Ineos are not making it easy for me.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As we approach 1 year since the earliest of us reserved our Grenadiers I am growing concerned at the lack of official communication. The last we heard from Ineos was on the 5th August regarding a small delay. Since then we have not been updated on the production of our Grenadiers and our build slots have disappeared on the portal leaving a lot of people (including myself) wondering what is really happening. A website upgrade should not take 5 days!

I like to think that I have been patient and forgiving with Ineos Automative, given they are a new company launching a new vehicle in difficult global circumstances. But, I have had to contend with a huge amount of hassle trying to place and pay for an order online, change my preferred colour to my second choice to avoid further delays, and still have nothing in writing that confirms my adjusted order details or build slot. I'm trying to hang in there, but really it's not a great experience so far.

I'm still enthusiastic about the vehicle and looking forward to owning it but I am down to the one small runaround car at the moment and really need a second larger car. Do I hire an SUV for a few months, or 6 months? Ineos are not making it easy for me.
That isn’t a simple decision. If you hire a car month to month the IG will delay and delay. If you hire a car for half a year the IG will be there after 7 month. And if you go for a 12 month hire the IG will Stand in your driveway just one week after the signature under the hire contract is dry…
Best you can do is probably hireing for three month.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> A website upgrade should not take 5 days!

As far as I understood, there was an update which will show the delivery dates dates when they are fixed.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
Grenadier is (still) hugely speculative. Could fall in a heap... in 1, 2, 5 years time...

Those seeking certainties should probably look elsewhere - and definitely shouldn't look for them on the 'orders' section of the website!

Back
Top Bottom