The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your crack (windshields)

If your windshield cracked (please answer honestly)

• Diesel : NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Diesel : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Petrol/Gas: NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Petrol/Gas : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • No crack

Votes: 32 41.6%

• Total voters

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
I'm meeting with the wrap / PPF / WPF folks tomorrow. I'm not sure what the product is, but it's 8 mil thick, optically correct and $500 for the windshield.

Total orange nose, a-pillars, rear door and under taillights with PPF over the nose and all leading edges / around the windshield and between the upper edge of the windshield to the safari windows will be $4K total including the WPF.

Clear Choice Designs, Tucson.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score
I think the issue is driven by thermal shock. It’s a mild summer currently where I live but every time I drive it the aircon blows super cold air via the dash vents onto the windscreen. The two vents are relatively narrow and the air blows on a small area of the lower screen (where the cracks seem to be occurring). I always get two small patches of fog / mist on the screen on startup which clear quickly when dry outside, but when it rains these patches stay there. The weird thing is they are on the outside of the windscreen, not the inside. This shows clearly when it rains and the wipers are on, the wiper clears the mist but then it quickly reforms. Never seen this before on any car I have previously owned.

Attachments

• IMG_2785.jpeg
    IMG_2785.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 64

TRAILMASTER

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
I'm meeting with the wrap / PPF / WPF folks tomorrow. I'm not sure what the product is, but it's 8 mil thick, optically correct and $500 for the windshield.

Total orange nose, a-pillars, rear door and under taillights with PPF over the nose and all leading edges / around the windshield and between the upper edge of the windshield to the safari windows will be $4K total including the WPF.

Clear Choice Designs, Tucson.
You may wish to consider Echelon Autosports, Scottsdale AZ (not as convenient to Tucson but they second to none IMHO).
www.echelonautosports.com

If you or anyone else is interested in their high-end, quality services, send me a DM as I am happy to connect you with my perfectionist nephew who "wraps" with them.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the issue is driven by thermal shock. It’s a mild summer currently where I live but every time I drive it the aircon blows super cold air via the dash vents onto the windscreen. The two vents are relatively narrow and the air blows on a small area of the lower screen (where the cracks seem to be occurring). I always get two small patches of fog / mist on the screen on startup which clear quickly when dry outside, but when it rains these patches stay there. The weird thing is they are on the outside of the windscreen, not the inside. This shows clearly when it rains and the wipers are on, the wiper clears the mist but then it quickly reforms. Never seen this before on any car I have previously owned.
I noticed similar the other week on mine. Was surprised myself that this was occurring.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Perfectly normal in the tropics. Are you using the auto climate control switch? As this seems to send air where Ineos thinks it needs to go (like the windscreen). I use the manual setting and send it where I want it to go. So even in steamy Cairns, I have had not had anny external fogging of the windscreen with the aircon on.

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same issue experienced during the first days of driving it while cyclone Jasper was coming through Cairns. I found the below to be the perfect combination to prevent it. The zone when on both feet and body causes an issue for me LoL.

20240103_143556.jpg

Picture when it was occuring for me.

20231216_083815.jpg

With the 'manual' settings:
20231216_083821.jpg

Last edited:

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Perfectly normal in the tropics. Are you using the auto climate control switch? As this seems to send air where Ineos thinks it needs to go (like the windscreen). I use the manual setting and send it where I want it to go. So even in steamy Cairns, I have had not had anny external fogging of the windscreen with the aircon on.
Tropical weather problems manifesting in Melbourne? And they say climate change ani’t real!

Was trying to keep the faith and persisting with Auto (otherwise keeps temp perfectly), will embrace reality and go manual to save my ‘screen.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
Maybe the air vents below the windscreen need re designing.
that seems like the primary issue. the air is probably blowing directly up at the windshield and with the slope it isn't directing it toward the cabin.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:08 PM
Reaction score
From the bottom again 🤔 this has got to be a stress crack 😠

I agree, but unfortunately the chances of a successful warranty claim and replacement within a reasonable period of time are virtually nil, as against a quick phone call to my insurer (NFU) connected directly to Autoglass, who took details and £50 windscreen excess, and replacement arrangements underway.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree, but unfortunately the chances of a successful warranty claim and replacement within a reasonable period of time are virtually nil, as against a quick phone call to my insurer (NFU) connected directly to Autoglass, who took details and £50 windscreen excess, and replacement arrangements underway.
It's a hassle free no brainer if you have NFU insurance.
On a side issue I have had a Scorpion 🦂 Cat 5 tracker fitted on the Grenadier, £449 but if you have a NFU policy Scorpion wil supply and fit for £199. Took out a lifetime subscription as a consequence.

Local time
Reaction score
I'm just speculating, but this is a pretty high-resolution photo, and there is no visible sign of a rock strike.

Smaller rock strikes usually create a chip or small crack with a little bit of spidering before they expand into a longer crack.

A big rock strike that immediately cracks the windshield almost always leaves some other sign of impact (as in photos below).

This is a very clean crack. Based on other reports of cracks in the same spot - it sure seems like a stress crack, and something to take up with Ineos.

Here are a couple of rock cracks (not Grenadiers) that have visible signs of impact:
crack_1.jpg
crack_2.jpg

Sometimes, though, it can be hard to figure out what causes the cracked windshield 😁

crack_3.jpg

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
So many questions about the last one. Such as, did the driver go home and change his underwear first, or call the insurance first. Would be kind of cool to drive around with that boulder mounted for awhile. And you thought a lot of people staring your Grenadier was amazing.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m a little worried about the cracking screens and lack of a stone chip. To date, very un-scientific results. I got a great deal on my insurance at $85/month, but glass falls under comprehensive coverage with a $500 deductible (excess). Going through a few screens this Winter will cost me!

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This thing is concerning. I swear that sometimes while driving I hear some tension in the windshield, almost like glass on glass creaking of some sort. Very subtle but I hear it on occasion and wondering if there truly is a tension issue here.

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
This thing is concerning. I swear that sometimes while driving I hear some tension in the windshield, almost like glass on glass creaking of some sort. Very subtle but I hear it on occasion and wondering if there truly is a tension issue here.
they all keep happening very close to the same place if this keeps up they are gonna be short on windshields

Back
Top Bottom