The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your crack (windshields)

If your windshield cracked (please answer honestly)

• Diesel : NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Diesel : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Petrol/Gas: NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Petrol/Gas : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • No crack

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
I was at my dealer yesterday. They have only seen one cracked windscreen so far, it was caused by a stone hit.

Last edited:

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
I was at my dealer yesterday. They have only seen one cracked windscreen so far, it was caused by a stone hit.

Is this being seen in the northern hemisphere only or are folks south of the equator suffering mysterious cracks?

Try pouring very hot water on a frozen windscreen see what happens. It'll crack before you finish đź«—

It works both ways. Hot water on cold glass or cold on hot. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is this being seen in the northern hemisphere only or are folks south of the equator suffering mysterious cracks?

It works both ways. Hot water on cold glass or cold on hot. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
Sydney dealer in the southern hemisphere, stone hit mark was visible. Not uncommon in Australia if you go remote.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone PPFd there windshield?
Probably not legal* in Australia to do that (definite No if the material has any tint or otherwise impedes the view). The INEOS dealer does offer IntegraShield, a nano coating.

*Australian Design Rule (ADR) 8 provides mandatory requirements for glazing materials (windscreens and other windows) in vehicles. This includes requirements to protect occupants from broken glazing material (causing facial and eye injury), reduce the risk of projection from the vehicle if not wearing a seatbelt and to ensure windscreens are of a minimum level of optical quality necessary to provide drivers with unimpeded vision.

Last edited:

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score

I’m in England

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My vehicle received a ”U” shaped crack extending from top edge of windscreen and back again. The crack was about 150mm apart at the windscreen edge, and it bottomed out about 1/3 of the way down the screen.
I had yet to take delivery, the dealer had another screen in the shop, however they apparently needed to get authorisation from Ineos to replace the screen. This took about 3 weeks.
On another note my VIN is 2700 ish, and I took delivery on 19th Dec.
Sure is one great vehicle though.

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve just had another look and there is a tiny tiny chip, so mine may be due to a stone chip, although as Jean said, odd that it goes to the edge of the windscreen.IMG_8745.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8744.jpeg
    IMG_8744.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
I had yet to take delivery, the dealer had another screen in the shop, however they apparently needed to get authorisation from Ineos to replace the screen.
Apart from the ridiculous "authorisation" for a new car to be repaired, I wonder if this was again a stone damaging the windscreen.

In this case, the dealer should replace the gravel in its salesrooms with tiles and prohibit motocross riding around the cars.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Apart from the ridiculous "authorisation" for a new car to be repaired, I wonder if this was again a stone damaging the windscreen.

In this case, the dealer should replace the gravel in its salesrooms with tiles and prohibit motocross riding around the cars.
I suspect the authorisation delay will have been down to a "discussion" between Ineos, the transporter, and the dealer as to who is liable for the damage costs.

Stone cracks or not, they seem very small impacts and appear to be getting quite common now, this s is something INEOS should take up with Pilkington.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
@Stu_Barnes Had something done to his wind shield, but I’m not sure of the particulars. Hopefully he’ll chime in. I’ll be honest, if he seems to think it’s a good idea, I’ll probably follow suit. I had a random crack in a Disco II windshield and it was crazy expensive to replace so I’d like to avoid that as best I can.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
I went with the Clearplex option.

With the potential lead times on screens I thought it worth a shot for stone damage. If there are stress cracks though that’s another beast entirely and this won’t help.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
I suspect the authorisation delay will have been down to a "discussion" between Ineos,
This is very likely not the case, at least not the procedure INEOS has required so far.

I know from an agent that each single little fart has to be "authorised" by INEOS. He told me that e.g. BMW does normally not ask questions and they can order whatever they need and is necessary. They can in many cases even decide for warranty or not. For bigger and very expensive parts this is of course different. But things like a windscreen, a side mirror or the like are no problem at all.

This is so, because BMW trusts their dealers. Same with Volkswagen, Audi and Mercedes, btw.

So one might ask if INEOS doesn't trust the skills, judgement or ability of their agents. THAT is what (rightly) pisses off the agents.

The agent is very annoyed that something like this may take 5 days before INEOS makes a decision - and then the part hasn't even been ordered yet, which takes another few days.

Local time
Reaction score
There's been a similar issue on the new Defender.
The windscreen glass is very thin and quite a few people have had the glass develop a crack.

l ordered the solar reflective screen with mine, as it's supposed to be less liable to cracking due to the internal film in the glass.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is very likely not the case, at least not the procedure INEOS has required so far.

I know from an agent that each single little fart has to be "authorised" by INEOS. He told me that e.g. BMW does normally not ask questions and they can order whatever they need and is necessary. They can in many cases even decide for warranty or not. For bigger and very expensive parts this is of course different. But things like a windscreen, a side mirror or the like are no problem at all.

This is so, because BMW trusts their dealers. Same with Volkswagen, Audi and Mercedes, btw.

So one might ask if INEOS doesn't trust the skills, judgement or ability of their agents. THAT is what (rightly) pisses off the agents.

The agent is very annoyed that something like this may take 5 days before INEOS makes a decision - and then the part hasn't even been ordered yet, which takes another few days.
BMW and the bigger manufactures haven't the resources to get involved in every trivial warranty claim and delegate that to the manufactures, time and cost savings instead of paying for their own resource. Land Rover, on the other hand, still required the phone call first to confirm warranty work could go ahead.

Back
Top Bottom