The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Should I ? - Wheels

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
I have ordered the Belstaff Trialmaster in Donny grey.

As everyone knows these come with the steel 17” wheels as standard with the BFG’s

I have since configured the IG with the 17” alloy wheels from the Fieldmaster. I am hooked now. They are another £500 roughly speaking but I am cancelling the OEM seat covers which are about the same price. The alloys look great and lift the vehicle appearance.

Do I order them or not. I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons. My initial thought is it would be cheaper to buy steel wheels on the aftermarket than it would be to get a set of alloys should the need arise.

Also they alloys are lighter and will make a small difference on MPG.

Anything else I should consider and who else is thinking the same ?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:21 AM
Reaction score
I had never intended to go with steel wheels.
In the highly unlikely event that I go really serious offroading/overlanding I may buy a set and put full offroad tyres on them.
I have gone Donny Gray with Inky Black roof and a gray/black leather interior.
Steel wheels might just be an overcompensation for me.
Screenshot 2022-07-26 124945.pngScreenshot 2022-07-26 130446.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:21 AM
Reaction score
I agree that the alloys give a classier, less "stripped back" & rugged look to the car.

I think the 17 inch alloy design looks better than the 18 inch - less cluttered with 6 groups of 2 spoke and more masculine.

Being a lighter colour than black, both alloys highlight the tyre and a darker body colour more.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
I had alloys on my Benz. After 22 winters with salt on the roads they look so ugly that I'll not buy alloys any more. You can not restore them which is possible with steel rims: Sandblast and powdering will help. And even if not steel is less costly to replace.

So I decided for steel rims. And off road they can stand more punishing.

Admittedly, the alloys look indeed good. But I'm too old for such whim-wham.

Last edited:

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had never intended to go with steel wheels.
In the highly unlikely event that I go really serious offroading/overlanding I may buy a set and put full offroad tyres on them.
I have gone Donny Gray with Inky Black roof and a gray/black leather interior.
Steel wheels might just be an overcompensation for me.
View attachment 7794571View attachment 7794572
Genuine question, Dave … If it’s highly unlikely that you'll be doing any serious off-roading, why are you buying a Grenadier?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Steelies look much better to me and more suited to the overall aesthetic, regardless of wheel size or body colour. The factory alloy wheels look a bit of an afterthought, like they had almost finished the project and then jumped on Alibaba and quickly sourced two alloy options. I reckon you could do much better with steelies and then switching to aftermarket alloys like Method, Rhino or others (even if the stud pattern limits choice).

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Completely agree. The steelies look proper or rather the alloys look improper. I am a big fan of the BRAID alloys. They look the business and are tough enough to be used in rally’s. My path will be 17” steelies and then Braids if I see the need

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree that the alloys give a classier, less "stripped back" & rugged look to the car.

I think the 17 inch alloy design looks better than the 18 inch - less cluttered with 6 groups of 2 spoke and more masculine.

Being a lighter colour than black, both alloys highlight the tyre and a darker body colour more.
I am going with the steel 17 inch but the 17 Alloys look great, the spokes are the Grenadier 'A' and if I had them I would paint one the Grenadier red on each wheel...happy motoring

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi
Genuine question, Dave … If it’s highly unlikely that you'll be doing any serious off-roading, why are you buying a Grenadier?
I have answered this several times and each time slightly differently.
  1. I am about to turn 60 and I am looking for a new car that will last me 20 years
  2. I will be moving to the country by the sea in January 2023
  3. The new vehicle needs to meet a wide range of needs such as
    1. long drives on the highway and back roads
    2. Visits to Fraser island driving on the sand
    3. gravel and dirt roads in the country, rural areas and national parks
    4. trips to hardware and landscape supplies
    5. picking up international business visitors from airport/hotel
    6. customer site visits at mines, treatment plants, construction sites and chemical plants
    7. Shops, restaurants and general running around.
    8. I like quirky and interesting vehicles only.
    9. Has to look good not round and bland.
    10. Needed to have a bull bar and driving light capability.
    11. Wanted a wagon not a UTE
  4. I spent two years test driving all sorts of vehicles and could not find a single one that met most of these needs, until I found the Grenadier on YouTube in February this year.
    1. Landcruiser/Prado - excellent vehicles but as exciting as the midday news.
    2. Landrover new Defender - I doubt will last 10 years let alone 20 and too much electronics and gismo's
    3. Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator- poor build quality, on road performance, safety rating and reliability that Jeep will stay in Australia
    4. Mercedes - GLC/GLE/G Wagon - too expensive and can't do any offroad in reality
    5. BMW same as MB
    6. Old Defender - seriously considered until the prices went stupid.
    7. Grenadier - seems to meet most/all of my requirements

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi

I have answered this several times and each time slightly differently.
  1. I am about to turn 60 and I am looking for a new car that will last me 20 years
  2. I will be moving to the country by the sea in January 2023
  3. The new vehicle needs to meet a wide range of needs such as
    1. long drives on the highway and back roads
    2. Visits to Fraser island driving on the sand
    3. gravel and dirt roads in the country, rural areas and national parks
    4. trips to hardware and landscape supplies
    5. picking up international business visitors from airport/hotel
    6. customer site visits at mines, treatment plants, construction sites and chemical plants
    7. Shops, restaurants and general running around.
    8. I like quirky and interesting vehicles only.
    9. Has to look good not round and bland.
    10. Needed to have a bull bar and driving light capability.
    11. Wanted a wagon not a UTE
  4. I spent two years test driving all sorts of vehicles and could not find a single one that met most of these needs, until I found the Grenadier on YouTube in February this year.
    1. Landcruiser/Prado - excellent vehicles but as exciting as the midday news.
    2. Landrover new Defender - I doubt will last 10 years let alone 20 and too much electronics and gismo's
    3. Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator- poor build quality, on road performance, safety rating and reliability that Jeep will stay in Australia
    4. Mercedes - GLC/GLE/G Wagon - too expensive and can't do any offroad in reality
    5. BMW same as MB
    6. Old Defender - seriously considered until the prices went stupid.
    7. Grenadier - seems to meet most/all of my requirements
Perfect vehicle for you whether serious or not 4wd cars can be bogged on wet grass...it has nothing to do with really serious as you stated DaveB, or not...your choice needs no justification but thanks for the read anyway...happy motoring

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Perfect vehicle for you whether serious or not 4wd cars can be bogged on wet grass...it has nothing to do with really serious as you stated DaveB, or not...your choice needs no justification but thanks for the read anyway...happy motoring
Yes, plus we must remember the old saying
The man who dies with the most/best toys wins.
Not sure what the prize is but...........

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, plus we must remember the old saying
The man who dies with the most/best toys wins.
Not sure what the prize is but...........
No prize for us at the end. We hopefully will leave a wise trail and a Grenadier.
Just use and spend wisely everything you have, I am sure you are because the hearse doesn't stop at the bank...happy motoring.

Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
There’s no guarantee that the grenadier will be more reliable and safer than wrangler/gladiator

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had alloys on my Benz. After 22 winters with salt on the roads they look so ugly that I'll not buy alloys any more. You can not restore them which is possible with steel rims: Sandblast and powering will help. And even if not steel is less costly to replace.

So I decided for steel rims. And off road they can stand more punishing.

Admittedly, the alloys look indeed good. But I'm too old for such whim-wham.
Unless the alloys have tyre protection, I will damage them off and on road. The potholes in Australia even on bitumen can swallow small vehicles and damage alloys, over the years I have had alloys trued and rounded also repainted from chips and scratches. The higher profile tyre is going to work best with 17 alloys both on-road and off but I am with emax and steel, 17 inch will give me a better footprint for sand when deflated to 20psi
and also the tyre protection when road inflated they give to the rims with road hazards, like 4wd protestors in EV's...happy motoring

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There’s no guarantee that the grenadier will be more reliable and safer than wrangler/gladiator
I am not in a debate about safety or reliability but your choice is important to me as it is to you but I have chosen a Grenadier because it is super modern which I think will tick all the boxes I want to be ticked without any tricks, bells and whistles...happy motoring.

Back
Top Bottom