The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof rack with safari windows?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
I really like the safari windows. I’m always opening my sunroof on my Discovery. Is it possible to get a roof rack that would work with the windows? I thought in the past I’d seen a third option but right now it’s either the full rack or the rails. Which honestly the rails aren’t a bad option either. My dream would be to have the windows, be able to sit up top on a couple chairs or a blow up mattress (or camp tent), and have the awning that can come off the sides.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
Or you could go with a high line roof rack from EziAwn or Fronrunner where in the legs are taller. So you can open the safari windows but not remove them completely 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I didn't order this rack.

The Frontrunner roof racks have the bars aligned from left to right so you can either omit one or two or move them so that the roof windows open.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@Barney
To omit an option might still be possible as this doesn't change the configuration of your build. Or, perhaps, Krah & Enders will keep the rack and take over the cost.

I'd talk to Mr. Nicolas or to Mr. Gudowius.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Even with a signed contract, the roof rack is a dealer install so I’m sure there’s a way to work out a change of mind.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
And I even dare to say that the roof rack and the Safari windows should must not be sold together. One of them would be unusable.

Since you haven't had an opportunity to see this before, you should do it that way when you pick up the car:

You: "Can you please help me to open the Safari window?"
Them: "Of course, wait a moment" - "um", "arrg", "wtf?" - " I can not open it, the roof rack is in the way!"
You: "But I don't want a roof rack which blocks the opening of the Safaries. Why didn't the configurator check for the incompatibilty? I'd like you to send it back."

Last edited:

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And I even dare to say that the roof rack and the Safari windows should must not be sold together. One of them would be unusable.

Since you haven't had an opportunity to see this before, you should do it that way when you pick up the car:

You: "Can you please help me to open the Safari window?"
Them: "Of course, wait a moment" - "um", "arrg", "wtf?" - " I can not open it, the roof rack is in the way!"
You: "But I don't want a roof rack which blocks the opening of the Safaries. Why didn't the configurator check for the incompatibilty? I'd like you to send it back."
Well.

They say they to not work together, but depending on your load it still gives you more light.

It is not perfect and I therefore did not configure anything on the roof, but will check options available when getting the car.

All those dealer-installed extras do not come with a price premium btw, if dealer does not have to install / put hours on it. So I felt I lose nothing adding this and seat protection and all that after seeing and touching it in store.

So with the price increase I buy the freedom to walk away and buy third party stuff.

Lets see how that will work out. :)

Attachments

• CC0D70CE-8E10-4334-B30A-51A32C7172C6.jpeg
    CC0D70CE-8E10-4334-B30A-51A32C7172C6.jpeg
    625.1 KB · Views: 158

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The hint that there is a restriction is new to me. I either missed it or it wasn't there when I configured mine.

Thank you for the screenshot!

das mo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The challenge with this one is that the opening mechansim is boolean. Either you can push the window all the way for the mechanism to click in or not. There definitely is space between windows and rack, but we habe to assume a few mm too little for the windows to lock in open position.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
The challenge with this one is that the opening mechansim is boolean. Either you can push the window all the way for the mechanism to click in or not. There definitely is space between windows and rack, but we habe to assume a few mm too little for the windows to lock in open position.
Ineos has said it doesn't work with the full rhinorack.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos has said it doesn't work with the full rhinorack.
So then the question comes for me, which is more important, factory safari windows I cannot have retrofitted or solid roof, vs getting a full roof rack, which will be warranted by Ineos, or wait and hope someone builds a Grenadier compatible aftermarket (no warranty) 3/4 length roof rack and get the safari windows. I don't think that the roof bars would be something I'd be interested in.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Congrats on the retirement!

If the safari windows genuinely interest you, get them and wait for an after market rack. People have said there’s a 3/4 Rhino Rack that should work - which unlike the windows themselves - can be dealt with once delivery has been completed. If you are in urgent need of the roof rack, get the factory one and then swap to a shorter rack that will afford the use of the windows down the road.

Personally, I’m not a sunroof/windows person and have actively sought out vehicles without them. This is much harder to do than you might think but thankfully my current truck doesn’t have one.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Congrats on the retirement!

If the safari windows genuinely interest you, get them and wait for an after market rack. People have said there’s a 3/4 Rhino Rack that should work - which unlike the windows themselves - can be dealt with once delivery has been completed. If you are in urgent need of the roof rack, get the factory one and then swap to a shorter rack that will afford the use of the windows down the road.

Personally, I’m not a sunroof/windows person and have actively sought out vehicles without them. This is much harder to do than you might think but thankfully my current truck doesn’t have one.
Thank you! I've been sick since, but am getting better.

It's nice to get in the vehicle when it's 115*F and be able to pop the roof open while maxxing the A/C until the steering wheel cools off enough to touch. It's over 110*F every summer here, for weeks sometimes. Opening the windows doesn't exactly have the same effect. Again, when it's nice, like today, in the 50s, it would be nice to have the fresh air of the roof open and windows up with the A/C or heat for temp regulation.

But, I'm on the fence. I've seen folks argue on the Facebook groups about hard tops don't leak, are cooler (are they?) and I'll likely never use the safari windows to stand up in the seat as they're designed. Probably once, to say I did it. Do I need the roof rack? No. It looks cool, and I like the idea of being able to throw on a spare tire and a jerry can or two. (I got 2 NATO cans for Christmas - Duluth Trading has the best price right now on genuine Valpro / Wavian cans). As far as needing space to store stuff because the interior storage is full? I can't imagine ever doing that. But, I see really cool looking overland type vehicles on the road, and they all have a roof rack.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
Do I need the roof rack? No. It looks cool,
It's an expensive rack and adds about 60kg and will reduce mileage.
I'm speccing the safari windows because I hate claustrophobic cabins , and the windows definitely brighten up the cockpit.
And the sun won't be beating down on my head as they are set forward.

Back
Top Bottom