The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rock sliders

Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
I’ve also struggled with the choice of sliders v steps, but ended up changing the order to steps on the basis that I’ve not “needed” sliders in the 4wd-ing I’ve done for the last 10 years. But I had to have one or the other to support the brush bars.

On the side topic of roo impacts, the Ineos guys said at a demo day that the bar design specifications were to take an 80kg impact at 100km/h with body damage but remain drivable. I’m hoping the brush bars will help with that. One of my cars recently hit a roo that bent the bar back into the guard and caused a lot of damage. Brush bar should help prevent that a little.

You never know when the roos will turn on you -

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bull bar....don't think its going to save you, I personally haven't seen a vehicle drivable
(or repairable from an insurance perspective) after hitting one at highway speeds

Attachments

• 120618889_3421893414523790_8329574799842691285_n.jpg
    120618889_3421893414523790_8329574799842691285_n.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 71

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:40 PM
Reaction score
Bull bar....don't think its going to save you, I personally haven't seen a vehicle drivable
(or repairable from an insurance perspective) after hitting one at highway speeds
Luckily the roos in Tassy are smaller. And no cows or large pigs on the road.
But when I'm on the mainland I'll do my best to avoid creatures , humans the biggest threat!

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
Luckily the roos in Tassy are smaller. And no cows or large pigs on the road.
But when I'm on the mainland I'll do my best to avoid creatures , humans the biggest threat!
Humans all day and driving at night for the four-legged ones...I can't remember the last country drive at night, just not safe...happy motoring

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Humans all day and driving at night for the four-legged ones...I can't remember the last country drive at night, just not safe...happy motoring
I have to dodge animals for much of the year driving home on a narrow twisty dirt road then a steep hill with no guardrail. Wallabies are waiting roadside at any time of day at present.They probably won't kill me, but could ruin some of my lower hung cars. PITA, but I like where I live!
Vigilance and reflexes reduce some risk.

Local time
3:10 PM
Reaction score
I have a theory which has served me well. It is also a theory which a college also had, however we derived the same theory independently. We lived in remote Western Australia at the time. On roo infested roads you must travel at a minimum of 140 km/h. The roos simply do not have enough time to jump in front of you. Many is the time I saw a roo starting to lean forward to jump, as I flashed past. There is one clause however, if the roo is on the road, your driving lights must be powerful enough that you can spot him, and brake before you reach him.
This has worked for me in 4 states of Australia. Neither him or I have ever hit a roo at that speed. Meanwhile all our compatriots were smashing them, especially so at 80 km/h.
However at the time I was young and bulletproof. Now I just don’t drive much at night.
The reason that there is no recorded instances of cars hitting roos at 140kph is, dead men don't tell tales.
That poor roo that jumped at the car probably saw his mate hit recently by one of those strange steel animals with very bright eyes.

Last edited:
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
I’ve also struggled with the choice of sliders v steps, but ended up changing the order to steps on the basis that I’ve not “needed” sliders in the 4wd-ing I’ve done for the last 10 years. But I had to have one or the other to support the brush bars.

On the side topic of roo impacts, the Ineos guys said at a demo day that the bar design specifications were to take an 80kg impact at 100km/h with body damage but remain drivable. I’m hoping the brush bars will help with that. One of my cars recently hit a roo that bent the bar back into the guard and caused a lot of damage. Brush bar should help prevent that a little.

You never know when the roos will turn on you -

I tried largely unsuccessfully to post this earlier. this is what hitting roos means!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
the Ineos guys said at a demo day that the bar design specifications were to take an 80kg impact at 100km/h with body damage but remain drivable.

Does anyone know if this is a recognised standard or just a good guess at one?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a recognised standard or just a good guess at one?
No real standard, the only standard applied is the compatibility with air bag sensors, otherwise its up to manufacturer, many many now on the market which are just bumper replacements or winch mounting hardware which offer a level above the standard plastic bumper.

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Although not configuring with roo-bar, am considering rock sliders (for benefit of protection vs cost of weight). Is there any reduction in either or both of clearance or ramp-over? My use will be on forestry fire-trails and national parks roads, on farm use as well as overlanding eventually.
Thanks in advance!
Same yet @$1700 your paying for import duty (I believe) regardless it's up there.
Australia off road accessory providers are some of the best on the planet through experience.
I'm going to be patient looking at setting up the vehicle over a few years. I already have my use identifed after doing this for the past 40 years on a few cars. Suggest using it alot as Aussie companies come up with options, (as in the past) all helps you work it out.

Local time
Reaction score
Same yet @$1700 your paying for import duty (I believe) regardless it's up there.
Australia off road accessory providers are some of the best on the planet through experience.
I'm going to be patient looking at setting up the vehicle over a few years. I already have my use identifed after doing this for the past 40 years on a few cars. Suggest using it alot as Aussie companies come up with options, (as in the past) all helps you work it out.
I don't like the steps (would last ten minutes) or the sliders. I agree.. once there are some cars out there the aftermarket will be on it.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't like the steps (would last ten minutes) or the sliders. I agree.. once there are some cars out there the aftermarket will be on it.
I need the steps for the bride and my granddaughter so ordered. They’re not that pricey.
Will wait for the aftermarket guys to come up with better options in due course. Hopefully Brooksy’s Barworkx will make a set.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The steps are about a million times more robust than the standard steps from most manufacturers which are basically tin foil. I think they will be pretty robust, having said that, they are not sliders so at some point when someone comes up with a decent set of sliders with a step I will likely change them out.

Local time
Reaction score
The steps are about a million times more robust than the standard steps from most manufacturers which are basically tin foil. I think they will be pretty robust, having said that, they are not sliders so at some point when someone comes up with a decent set of sliders with a step I will likely change them out.
When I bought my defender I got the factory steps. They looked solid. Bent them first trip. :(

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thankfully on the demo day there was a car with the sliders and they are too close to the body to safely use as side-steps, the car is also too high to get into comfortably without side-steps, and you can't have both, so the sliders are gone in favor of the steps.
I’ve gone down that route too.
Although my local dealer said there was talk of them putting “flat sections on the top” in the rock slides so you didn’t have to choose between the two.

Back
Top Bottom