The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rhino roof bars / cross bars

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:48 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I just fitted these today. On the advice of DenisM from here I purchased 3 packs of the strip's and filled all the gaps. No leftovers either, needed them all. Took it for a quick run at 100kph, no noise that I could hear.
Maybe a couple of stickers too🤣
Pedro

Attachments

• 20240211_163402.jpg
    20240211_163402.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
  • 20240211_163417.jpg
    20240211_163417.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 62

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Fitted all four bars, ready for front lights, don’t know if I will go for a light bar or retro challenge round lights……tempted to go old school style…
IMG_4081.jpegIMG_4079.jpeg

SilverNZ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:48 AM
Reaction score
Hi Tom

I have the full length Rhino Roof rack on my Grenadier (that I've had for a week now). The whistle from the rack at 50MPH was extreme...almost like they had designed it to make the noise to let everyone know I was coming, Looking at the rack, it looked like a polyphonic musical instrument with so many potential resonance generators...but the ones that stood out were the cross-wise channels on the underside (that run across the truck, rather than the length of the truck) that would (once there was airflow) behave like blowing across the top of a bottle.

I didn't receive any kind of rubber channel plug with the vehicle so I sent my son up with a roll of wide insulation tape and got him to tape up the channels on the underside of the rack. Obviously not a permanent solution but would serve as a proof of concept. Voila! No whistle at 50MPH or any speed up to 75MPH (which is as fast as I'll go). It still made a rushing noise but I guess that's tolerable. We also have a heap more channels to cover up yet so maybe we'll get further improvement..

So I was wondering where you used your rubber inserts...did you try the cross-wise channels on the underside of the rack?

I can't believe Rhino Rack sends their racks out without all the empty channels filled. It just seems half baked. The design is an acoustic nightmare...

...but I can live with mine now. I just need to find something more permanent than insulation tape.
An update...

I have been away for 5 weeks and the tape that I applied had all peeled off and the noise was back. I have ordered some Vortex strips from Rhino Rack (hopefully) as a permanent fix.

However, while I wait for the strips to arrive, I was getting frustrated by the noise and started thinking about resonance etc. I wondered if moving the rack around might change the resonant speed, so I moved the roof rack toward the back of the vehicle by about 70mm so that the rear edge actually overhung the back of the vehicle by about 15mm. Once again the whistle has gone and the whole rack is much quieter.

So I wonder if half the problem with these racks is to do with where the dealer mounts it. I also think the rack looks better mounted further back. The other benefit is that when loading long pieces of timber, when I lean the timber against the back of the vehicle it now rests against the roof rack rather than the paint on the roof, which was getting scratched.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
Hey Everyone - is there a non-dealer source for these cross bars? Thinking of purchasing a set but the local dealership has bumped the price substantially from the preorder numbers.

Anyone wanting to sell a used set?

Reactions: PBD

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:48 AM
Reaction score
Hey Everyone - is there a non-dealer source for these cross bars? Thinking of purchasing a set but the local dealership has bumped the price substantially from the preorder numbers.
Your local dealership is charging more than the $550 list price for them?

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, they're charging $550 USD. Weren't they substantially less during the preorder window? Somehow I have a <$400 number in my head.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Anyone wanting to sell a used set?
Rhino Rack has a US distributor and probably retailers in the US.

RHINO-RACK USA

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I had checked the Rhino-Rack website earlier and couldn't find an Ineos option. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had checked the Rhino-Rack website earlier and couldn't find an Ineos option. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.
For the cross bar it is the standard RR roof bar. Only the Pioneer Platform as a custom model for the Grenadier. Great idea to ring them.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For the cross bar it is the standard RR roof bar. Only the Pioneer Platform as a custom model for the Grenadier. Great idea to ring them.

The bar itself is a specific length of their heavy duty "Reconn Deck Bar" Part No. RDB180
RDB180 is the 1800mm length.
The Grenadier reqires a length of 65" or 1650mm...so you can easily trim it.
You will require the correct attachment brackets and possibly the Vortex insert strips to prevent wind whistle. (all extra cost)
When fitting the attachment brackets above the B and C and D pillars, you will find that the roof is 5mm narrower above the C and D pillars than the span at the B pillar!
The correct Ineos install instructions are in the forum Resources section (I think!).
I'll try and find the part numbers for the attachment brackets.
Using A$1 equals US$0.6 I paid equivalent of US $780 for 2 sets... i e 4 bars with mounting brackets, hardware and sufficient Vortex strips for 2 of the 4 slots in each bar.
EDIT: refer posts #2 and #24 above re. other part numbers

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The bar itself is a specific length of their heavy duty "Reconn Deck Bar" Part No. RDB180
You will require the correct attachment brackets and possibly the Vortex insert strips to prevent wind whistle. (all extra cost)
When fitting the attachment brackets above the B and C and D pillars, you will find that the roof is 5mm narrower above the C and D pillars than the span at the B pillar!
The correct Ineos install instructions are in the forum Resources section (I think!).
Using A$1 equals US$0.6 I paid equivalent of US $780 for 2 sets... i e 4 bars with mounting brackets, hardware and sufficient Vortex strips for 2 of the 4 slots in each bar.
Are the roof bars custom to the INEOS or just a choice within the RR range?

INEOS Fitting Instructions for Cross bars here. If asked for a country choose UK. Look on the left of the page for category cross bars.

Last edited:

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Before I bought through Ineos dealer, I tried at autobarn ( local auto parts store and rhino rack dealer ) to order them. Not available to order that way. They told me ineos would have sole rights for a year or two

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Before I bought through Ineos dealer, I tried at autobarn ( local auto parts store and rhino rack dealer ) to order them. Not available to order that way. They told me ineos would have sole rights for a year or two
Bummer.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got the same message from the Rhino Rack distributor (Roof Racks Galore)...

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the end I spoke to another ineos dealer, who gave me a much cheaper price, and I could buy 3 at once. It was expedition slrv, and they were very helpful. It was only because I was travelling that way very soon (1500kms) that it would have worked.
In the end, after a couple of warranty issues and recalls, the local dealer admitted a mistake, and substantially lowered their price. They had then shipped to their dealership within a week, and I picked them up.
I had to cancel with slrv, who were very understanding.
No complaints.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Fitted all four bars, ready for front lights, don’t know if I will go for a light bar or retro challenge round lights……tempted to go old school style…
View attachment 7852469View attachment 7852470
Looks good. I am after a 3rd bar. Did you purchase the 2nd set direct through Ineos or through another? Idea of cost?

Thanks.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
UPDATE : see bottom of page

INEOS Fitting Instructions for Cross bars here. If asked for a country choose UK. Look on the left of the page for category cross bars.
Several months ago, I couldn't find the bars of the correct length locally, but a search today using the " RDB180 "part number immediately brought the single bar 1800mm length on the RR USA product website for US$169.99 per bar.

I then searched more carefully on the australian website and the correct
UPDATE:
The correct length
is now listed in the RhinoRack product list (no reference to Ineos) as RDB165. This is the bar only...
However, the RDB165 seems to be more expensive than the longer RDB180...perhaps this is becuase it detects I'm from Australia and is therefore converting the currency...(I don't use a VPN to hide my location....as yet ;-))

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks good. I am after a 3rd bar. Did you purchase the 2nd set direct through Ineos or through another? Idea of cost?

Thanks.
I had to buy 2 sets of two bars. I think I paid £336 for each set. I purchased through an Ineos dealer. It was about a two week lead time.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I made a call to the US distributor. Nada.

Nice! When I called I first asked about cutting down a longer bar to somewhere in the 70" range for a particular usage which is a couple of mm shorter than the RDB180 you mentioned. the response was that they didn't like their stuff to be altered because of engineering and warranty concerns.

I then asked if the extruded cross bar material was exclusive to Rhino-Rack. The customer service rep hesitantly confirmed that it wasn't. Perhaps cross bars could be found elsewhere?

The response I got to that question was "I know of no plans to sell the Grenadier specific racks/cross bars at the present time. They are currently available at the Ineos dealerships."

Asking about just purchasing the towers got me a long silence before "No.".

Where are you located? We will have a barely-used set to sell in CA in the first week of June.

Great! I'd definitely be interested if we can work something out. We're in OR just north of the CA border but have a few friends in different parts of Cali where you could drop them off. Send me a PM if you can

Our intended usage is for transporting an open canoe. Canoes are generally carried upside down and can be easily strapped right to the Grenadier's roof so we never considered the cross-bars to be necessary. And then we realized that the height of the rear doors might prevent them from opening with the bow (or stern) hanging down. This wouldn't bother us for simple day use or maybe even for an overnight trip but, for longer trips where the canoe would remain atop the vehicle for days at a time, we'd need to get it up in the air a bit for easy access to the rear and better visibility out the front windscreen.

We want to be able to remove the rack in the off season so none of the grab rail mounted versions will suit. Too much work. That left the HGM-rack.at bars which I like (and is associated with @Ingemar) or the rough-parts.com rack. Both are too low to the roof to risk a purchase. Even if the Rhino bars are still too low it should be easy to T-nut some nice white oak spacers on top or even a second piece of aluminum. Well be sure and run a bow line to the front bumper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom