The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rhino roof bars / cross bars

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
looks to be about 152.4mm to me love

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7832799
This gives you and idea of the top of the bar above the "floor" of the roof gutter.
According to the Ineos brochure, the height of the vehicle ( presuming the top of the roof strips) is 2036mm and 2150mm if fitted with roof bars. I don't have a flat garage floor surface .. I don't have a garage! ...so I can't verify this.
Hi DennisM, Thanks for the photo & measurements. Looking at this and info from AnD3rew, it looks like I will be able to easily modify the bracket and lower the overall
height to just clear my garage door opening. Now I will just need to remember to remove my surfboard first. DaBull

cmcwilliam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
I have the Ineos supplied roof bars (which look to be the reconn type). I find they make a whistling sound above 60mph.

I wondered if others had found the same?

Mine came with a lot of sections of rubber strip, which I assume can go in the slots. I wondered if this was supposed to be installed to reduce noise like on the Vortex bars. I’ve written to Rhino to ask…

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
I have the Ineos supplied roof bars (which look to be the reconn type). I find they make a whistling sound above 60mph.

I wondered if others had found the same?

Mine came with a lot of sections of rubber strip, which I assume can go in the slots. I wondered if this was supposed to be installed to reduce noise like on the Vortex bars. I’ve written to Rhino to ask…
The answer to all three points is Yes! ;)
(when driving at speed, the air flowing over the slots in the top of the bar and its underside, is akin to one making a noise by blowing over the top of a beer bottle.) Install the rubber strips , (referred to as a Vortex Generator strip by Rhino Rack), in the slot in the top of the bar and also in the slot on the underside. Some soapy water greatly assists in seating the strip. I ended up buying extra rubber strips to fill in all 4 slots for both bars. There's a very slight wind rush now but no annoying whistle.
The Rhino Rack part number is VA-VGS8 ... the box contains 8 x 400mm strips (sufficient for two surfaces...i.e 1 box per roof bar to complete the remaining two sides).

cmcwilliam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
(when driving at speed, the air flowing over the slots in the top of the bar and its underside, is akin to one making a noise by blowing over the top of a beer bottle.) Install the rubber strips , (referred to as a Vortex Generator strip by Rhino Rack), in the slot in the top of the bar and also in the slot on the underside. Some soapy water greatly assists in seating the strip. I ended up buying extra rubber strips to fill in all 4 slots for both bars. There's a very slight wind rush now but no annoying whistle.
The Rhino Rack part number is VA-VGS8 ... the box contains 8 x 400mm strips (sufficient for two surfaces...i.e 1 box per roof bar to complete the remaining two sides).
Great, thank you!

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello,

I have the Rhino roof bars as fitted by Ineos. Very happy with them. I am trying to fit some Lazer working lights to the rear roof bar 'T' track and I an struggling to find suitable M8 x 25mm (or slightly longer) T bolts of a decent base size to attach the lights to. I can find something suitable in Oz https://roofrack.com.au/product/rola-rwsla28-m8x28mm-t-bolts-nuts/ but struggling in the UK. The base needs to be of a certain size say 20x30mm otherwise quite a lot of play.

Anyone sourced something similar?

Thanks
Hi ECrider,

Have you had any luck?

I've found these but I cannot find any dimensions to see whether they will work or not;

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
At the moment it’s 10deg.F and my Rhino Rack is covered in ice & snow. But I will order some of these strips to plug the slots until my light and fairing installations.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just realized these were on the back seat floor of my Gren. They must come with the full length Rhino Rack.

IMG_5873.jpeg

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just realized these were on the back seat floor of my Gren. They must come with the full length Rhino Rack.

View attachment 7840265
Hi Tom109, The factory rack for my new 2020 Defender had similar if not identical looking rubber inserts for the channels. In my case, they went on top of the cross bars in the slots along the top. Thule made the rack, although it is branded a Defender Rack. When my dealer cut and installed the rubber strips, they only cut them long enough for the exposed length of the cross bar when he should have cut them at least 1/4" or more longer and tucked the extra under the perimeter frame of the rack. The rack made excessive wind noise as the very ends of the cross bars the channel opens up and does not securely hold the rubber strips, causing them to flap and vibrate in the wind.
I solved it by using a couple black zip ties on each end to hold the rubber strips ends down from flapping in the wind. Problem solved and no wind sound anymore, however my dealer should have made them longer in the first place. Not sure if the Rhino Rack has the same issue, (that being that the last inch on either end of the cross bars having no support for the rubber strips or not, If so, don't cut them short. DaBull

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi ECrider,

Have you had any luck?

I've found these but I cannot find any dimensions to see whether they will work or not;

Hi there. I eventually found these on amazon and they work well for my lights.

2 Pack Heavy Duty Eye Bolt Ring bolts fixing loops and attachments - Stainless Steel - M8 Eye Nuts,roof bar slot Track Mount Tie Down Eyelet to Hold Your Bungee Cord or Ropes Anchoring https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BM5QRX3W/?tag=globalgrena0b-20

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7840265
Ok, I installed these this morning, and you know what? The rack has a constant wind noise/whistle. I’ll drive around today and remove them tonight to see what tomorrow is like.
:rolleyes:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, I installed these this morning, and you know what? The rack has a constant wind noise/whistle. I’ll drive around today and remove them tonight to see what tomorrow is like.
Hi Tom109, That's interesting as the rubber strips are supposed to suppress wind noise by covering the channel. I am not sure of the Rhino Rack construction, however the factory rack for the New Defender is made by Thule and they have the exact same rubber channel covers. When my dealer installed the rubber channel strips on the factory Thule rack he ended up cutting the rubber strips short by 1/4" on each end. He was supposed to leave them 1/4" longer than the cross bar and tuck the excess under the main perimeter frame. By not doing so, the very ends of the rubber strips vibrated in the wind and created excessive wind noise. On the Thule cross bars the last full inch of the channel at the ends of each of the cross bars has no support for the rubber strips and since they are shaped like an airplane wing they want to rise up once you start driving with the air flow over them and that leaves them vibrating and creating noise. My solution since the strips were cut 1/4" short at either end was to simply tightly wrap 2 zip ties around the cross bars at each end of the cross bars thereby stopping the strips from lifting up and vibrating. Excessive sound and wind noise completely disappeared. DaBull

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@DaBull - I made suer I filled the upper and lower slots on the leading extrusion. No gaps at all. It'spouring rain again so I'll let it alone for now, button thought I have is the wide center section of the slot that allows you to drop in fitting with nuts attached. This short section is wider than the runner strip retainers, and similar to what you describe, maybe it is flexing and scooping air. I'll put tape over it when the rain stops.

jsc2023

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
Hello,

I have the Rhino roof bars as fitted by Ineos. Very happy with them. I am trying to fit some Lazer working lights to the rear roof bar 'T' track and I an struggling to find suitable M8 x 25mm (or slightly longer) T bolts of a decent base size to attach the lights to. I can find something suitable in Oz https://roofrack.com.au/product/rola-rwsla28-m8x28mm-t-bolts-nuts/ but struggling in the UK. The base needs to be of a certain size say 20x30mm otherwise quite a lot of play.

Anyone sourced something similar?

Thanks
I have been attempting to find dimensions for the cross bars as I am working on a custom application.
Would you mind providing me the dimensions of the crossbars?
Thanks in advance.

SilverNZ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
Hi Tom

I have the full length Rhino Roof rack on my Grenadier (that I've had for a week now). The whistle from the rack at 50MPH was extreme...almost like they had designed it to make the noise to let everyone know I was coming, Looking at the rack, it looked like a polyphonic musical instrument with so many potential resonance generators...but the ones that stood out were the cross-wise channels on the underside (that run across the truck, rather than the length of the truck) that would (once there was airflow) behave like blowing across the top of a bottle.

I didn't receive any kind of rubber channel plug with the vehicle so I sent my son up with a roll of wide insulation tape and got him to tape up the channels on the underside of the rack. Obviously not a permanent solution but would serve as a proof of concept. Voila! No whistle at 50MPH or any speed up to 75MPH (which is as fast as I'll go). It still made a rushing noise but I guess that's tolerable. We also have a heap more channels to cover up yet so maybe we'll get further improvement..

So I was wondering where you used your rubber inserts...did you try the cross-wise channels on the underside of the rack?

I can't believe Rhino Rack sends their racks out without all the empty channels filled. It just seems half baked. The design is an acoustic nightmare...

...but I can live with mine now. I just need to find something more permanent than insulation tape.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
So I was wondering where you used your rubber inserts...did you try the cross-wise channels on the underside of the rack?
Buy a roll of this and see if that works.
rod.jpg

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@SilverNZ - I used the rubber inserts that come with the rack, and installed them on the front cross-wise channels top and bottom. I haven't changed anything, but I will remove the rubber from the upper channel and install it on the next cross-wise bottom channel.

@Tazzieman does have a good idea, and I may have a suitable roll of silicon hose from re-plumbing the vacuum lines on my RRC. I'll get that a test too.

Back
Top Bottom