The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Reverse the Spare Tire Mount

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
I would really like to reverse the spare tire mounting where you can see the aluminum wheels like the Wrangler. Is there a way that I may be able to do this? Thank you.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
You want to be sure the rear door hinges will take the change in weight balance. One long standing problem with old Defenders was the outward facing rear spare. It put the spare's centre of gravity further out from the face of the door so there was a twisting motion on the hinges, and they would all drop over time. It may only be a tiny change but with thousands of opening & closings, every time you slammed the door there was a little bit more wiggle in the spare wheel mount.

Since switching to a G-Wagen with the utilitarian but ugly inward facing spare I've never had any problems with the rear door hinges in ten years. And Magna have probably played it safe when they designed the Grenadier along the same lines.

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You want to be sure the rear door hinges will take the change in weight balance. One long standing problem with old Defenders was the outward facing rear spare. It put the spare's centre of gravity further out from the face of the door so there was a twisting motion on the hinges, and they would all drop over time. It may only be a tiny change but with thousands of opening & closings, every time you slammed the door there was a little bit more wiggle in the spare wheel mount.

Since switching to a G-Wagen with the utilitarian but ugly inward facing spare I've never had any problems with the rear door hinges in ten years. And Magna have probably played it safe when they designed the Grenadier along the same lines.

Thanks so much. That was really my main concern. I'll probably do something to the spare wheel cover to make it a little bit nicer - maybe paint the word 'GRENADIER' with nicer color.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score
Thanks so much. That was really my main concern. I'll probably do something to the spare wheel cover to make it a little bit nicer - maybe paint the word 'GRENADIER' with nicer color.
I've seen covers that look like the wheel itself but naturally I cannot find a Google image of it right now. It may have simply been a custom cover with a photo printed on it.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:52 AM
Reaction score

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
The spare tire on this vehicle is reversed. The OP might have the source of the mod.

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:52 PM
Reaction score

Thanks for the explanation. I was curious as to why Ineos turned the wheel inward facing. Guess I never noticed the drop on the Defender rear door I owned for ten years. Not to say that it didn't. I always heard about hinges being fatigued and failure.

Local time
Reaction score
Owl will have their production version available for sale soon. Here are a couple photos of the prototypes on our vehicles.

Attachments

• Image 3-31-24 at 5.42 PM.jpeg
    Image 3-31-24 at 5.42 PM.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5452.jpeg
    IMG_5452.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 20

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score