The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Resale Specifications

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
What options/setup do you guys think would be "must haves" on the IG, if you are considering the resale of the vehicle in a couple of years time.

In my book, the Belstaff Editions will be easier to sell, as they will be a known quantity in peoples minds, more so than a SW that has a variety of options.

So traditionally cars with Leather, Sunroofs will be in higher demand that those cars without (mind you they don't necessarily command a higher price).
Do we think that this is necessarily the case with the IG?
I think that an IG with the Diff Locks would be essential for resale, as that is what people will be looking for - irrespective whether they need them or not.
Does the Electrical Preparation/Switch Panel also fit into this category?
Does the Winch also fit into this category?

Love to hear your opinions - from a RESALE perspective.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps the answer is different in the various markets? For Oz, presumably yes leather, diff locks and electrical prep; no for winch, factory roo bar etc… presuming ARB/aftermarket offer model-specific accessories. I wonder what is going to happen with resale with electrification occuring in parallel? I reckon it might head north driven as much by nostalgia/change resistance as anything else.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:02 PM
Reaction score
What options/setup do you guys think would be "must haves" on the IG, if you are considering the resale of the vehicle in a couple of years time.

In my book, the Belstaff Editions will be easier to sell, as they will be a known quantity in peoples minds, more so than a SW that has a variety of options.

So traditionally cars with Leather, Sunroofs will be in higher demand that those cars without (mind you they don't necessarily command a higher price).
I think that an IG with the Diff Locks would be essential for resale, as that is what people will be looking for - irrespective whether they need them or not.

Have a look at the popular options on the runout Defender in 2016.
That will give you a good idea.
Have a search on carsales.com.au for the old model defender and see what pecs they are going with

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Putting aside, km's travelled & overall condition (mechanical & body), as these are the key drivers of market attractiveness & price and will vary across every single Grenadier ever produced - on balance, second hand car buyers tend to prefer a car with more options rather than less, meaning that the same/similar car with more options should be easier to sell notwithstanding that it's market price will also be higher. Why?

Most key options are very desirable but many are not fitted initially because of their cost and the impact on the overall final initial purchase price, which includes taxes and duties.

Then, often 3, 5, 10 years later, said options are either no longer available, can't be practically added; e.g. sunroof, or if are available as OEM, are very expensive and so, if they are on a car, that car becomes far more desirable against one that doesn't have them.

Second, for second hand buyers - a heavily optioned car means that it was a more expensive result for the purchaser and often more of an emotional initial purchase and the buyer (Davman) has then probably "looked after" the car with extra love & more attention than more otherwise be the case.

Thirdly, a heavily optioned car can be more attractive because often it's second hand market price may not fully reflect the initial value of all the options added (and so the buyer gets a discount but the sellers gets a quicker sale).

However, the car's market attractiveness will be also determined by the type of option intilly included, especially options that people expect a Grenadier to have rather than, say, bespoke options,; (e.g. quirky colours, very specific roof accessories etc).

All things being equal, I think the following options would really enhance grenadier resale: because buyers would expect them, they will be difficult to add later or not be possible.
  • High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel & Electrical Prep
  • Diff locks
  • Interior Utility Rails
  • Standard/base colours (which most are)
  • Leather & heated seats
  • Saddle leather pack
  • Integrated front winch
  • Smooth pack
  • Tow hitch
  • Safari windows

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Have a look at the popular options on the runout Defender in 2016.
That will give you a good idea.
Have a search on carsales.com.au for the old model defender and see what pecs they are going with

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:02 PM
Reaction score
I think it depends on local conditions/ tastes.

Take Perth, for example:

A city with seemingly limitless funding for cars, despite there being no real challenge in driving, and only one principle direction to drive in. Nevertheless, Perth buyers will demand pristine examples loaded with bling - the more impractical the better. Black roof and safari windows - completely unsuitable for summer - will be big sellers, and wet/sandy post-swim bums will demand to be parked on leather. Stock rims will be immediately binned in favour of anything aftermarket and black, and which allow enormous tyres to fitted. Suspension lift, hi-lift jack and minimum 4 spotless orange maxtraxx will complete the look, allowing the (sealed) urban coastal strip/ winery carpark to be traversed with maximum "street appeal".

How about your hood?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Take Perth, for example:

A city with seemingly limitless funding for cars, despite there being no real challenge in driving, and only one principle direction to drive in. Nevertheless, Perth buyers will demand pristine examples loaded with bling - the more impractical the better. Black roof and safari windows - completely unsuitable for summer - will be big sellers, and wet/sandy post-swim bums will demand to be parked on leather. Stock rims will be immediately binned in favour of anything aftermarket and black, and which allow enormous tyres to fitted. Suspension lift, hi-lift jack and minimum 4 spotless orange maxtraxx will complete the look, allowing the (sealed) urban coastal strip/ winery carpark to be traversed with maximum "street appeal".

How about your hood?
I lived in Perth in the early 90's and then again from 2009-2012
Harley Davidsons, boats, jet ski's, HSV's & tricked out 4WDS everywhere.

Reactions: Sam

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
It seems to me as a no brainer that all items that are hard to retrofit because of technical issues (locks, wiring and sunroof, colour) will bring a significant higher price.
However attraction for used cars not only comes with the extras fitted but also with the price you offer.
A station wagon with the most important ingredients will cost you presumably 12000€ (didn’t configured one).
My guess is that you can sell it in 10 years with this price difference to the Belstaff models.
The only open question I have is whether a SW has a good enough seating position in the bag.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Couple of years?
Flipping heck :p Are you trading up to a dual cab?

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think this is a trick question 🤣. I expect the second hand buyer to be just like us. A bunch of misfits that have one big thing in common, we are all passionate about the Grenadiar. Most of our orders are somewhat different, ranging from tyres, seat to sunroofs. We're all different and want/need different things l, which ultimately means the decision comes down to personal preference and thereafter affordability.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
I also think there will be many like me who have never contemplated buying a new car (bikes yes but cars never) and have decided to press on and buy the Grenadier new because a) they cannot bare to wait 2-3 years for the perfect wagon and b) would like one with the exact spec they desire.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I also think there will be many like me who have never contemplated buying a new car (bikes yes but cars never) and have decided to press on and buy the Grenadier new because a) they cannot bare to wait 2-3 years for the perfect wagon and b) would like one with the exact spec they desire.
I haven't bought a new car since 1998 but at age 60 there is no time to wait - the prices will surely go up . Strike while the iron's hot - and you only live once!

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think the number of vehicles available will also drive used prices. If in your are there are only a handful available secondhand, then I expect prices will be high and options may not have the same impact as normal.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Take Perth, for example:

How about your hood?
And here's me thinking our friends out west were like Texans when, in fact, it's like LA

PT70

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
Diff locks ~ there's not really been anything from Ineos with regard to "up selling" these. Indeed, many vehicles in the test drive fleet don't appear to have them, and those that do seem rarely used/demonstrated.

There's also a bit of negative "press" on the functionality of the brand, although there can be no real certainty as to whether this is applicable to the versions Ineos are fitting.

So I think a lot will depend on user reports over the first year or so as to whether they are generally seen as a positive or not. Warranty can take care of the financial side but there's always the hassle factor.

Have we had a poll on here with regard to how people have included them in their order?

It's the same for some of the other options.

Not forgetting the further the vehicles go "down" the 2nd hand resale market, the more the buyers will be prepared to take out a headlining to install an overhead wiring harness, etc.
I like the idea of a poll.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
Color. Silver, though I find it boring, will sall very well, simply because it's very forgiving when it comes to scratches and wear. It will thus still look very good after years.

For me, leather is always a temptation.
Tinted windows.
Safari windows.
Smooth pack, people like fancy illumination.
Rear camera.
Heated back mirrors.

Local time
Reaction score
I think diff locks because they can't be retro fitted into existing axle castings safari windows for obvious reasons and the aux wiring /switches/dual battery .

Back
Top Bottom