The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

repair of water draining cap / plug

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
I took out a water draining cap in the floor and suddenly all the pieces fell apart. A small axle fell somewhere, probably in the grass. I tried to “fish” it with a strong magnet, with the help of 4 eyes, to no avail!

Then I took out the other cap at the drivers’ side, to see how that axle looked, and saw a some hollow metallic axles, probably aluminium.

Therefore I had to do my first repair: I replaced the axle by a nail!

In the picture below you can see in the upper left corner a complete mounted plug, and around this one 4 of the 5 components of the other plug (the fifth being the lost axle).
doppen.jpg

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
I took out a water draining cap in the floor and suddenly all the pieces fell apart. A small axle fell somewhere, probably in the grass. I tried to “fish” it with a strong magnet, with the help of 4 eyes, to no avail!

Then I took out the other cap at the drivers’ side, to see how that axle looked, and saw a some hollow metallic axles, probably aluminium.

Therefore I had to do my first repair: I replaced the axle by a nail!

In the picture below you can see in the upper left corner a complete mounted plug, and around this one 4 of the 5 components of the other plug (the fifth being the lost axle).

You need a new roll pin (can also be called spring pin)
uk ebay link
s-l500.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A couple of old photos of them, early ones looked like part metal:
Screenshot_20220807_221704_com.google.android.youtube.jpgScreenshot_20220807_221715_com.google.android.youtube.jpgScreenshot_20220807_221722_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Reactions: PBD

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Jean Mercier, I found a drainage plug in the boot near the rear doors whilst cleaning out dog puke. My little monster decided to puke down the latch hole and I had to remove the door edge trim to clean out. Saw the drainage plug - does it screw out? Or do I just lift the little flap and pull up. It didn't seem to want to come out just pulling it up.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Lift lever and pull. If it's a bit tight then try rotating it a little to break the "sticktion" of the rubber o ring on what looks like the metal rim.

A smear of silicone grease on the o ring before replacing wouldn't go amiss, as would wiping down the mating surface and ensuring it's free from any debris.

Back
Top Bottom