The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Remote start?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
Can I just say I really don't want to be in the desert, 5 days from another human, and have my car decide it no longer accepts my bluetooth phone key. Thanks Ineos for giving us a real key!
My Mercedes key looks like this below and you have insert it and turn to start the car
My car wouldn't start recently and it took a while for me to catch on that it was because the battery in the key was flat.
I don't carry spare key batteries or the spare key but luckily there were shops hat sold batteries about 500 metres away.
1675805616168.png

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
My Mercedes key looks like this below and you have insert it and turn to start the car
My car wouldn't start recently and it took a while for me to catch on that it was because the battery in the key was flat.
I don't carry spare key batteries or the spare key but luckily there were shops hat sold batteries about 500 metres away.
View attachment 7802671
That’s a surprisingly common problem. I was getting my Defender serviced 3yrs ago at an independent garage in Namibia and the guy servicing it mentioned he had been called to a safari camp where a Landrover defender couldn’t be fixed. Three months out of action and the Landrover main dealer couldn’t fix it. This guy drove for hours to the safari camp and fixed the problem eventually with a key fob battery. I had similar problems with my defender so always kept a key fob battery in my wallet. A friend of ours has a Toyota Yaris similar problem two weeks ago. I’ll be keeping a spare for the Grenadier 👍🏼

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:52 PM
Reaction score
This is the key of my Suzuki, 10 years old, like wise with a battery, but I don't care about having a flat battery, and it happened! Guess why ... thanks Suzuki!

Attachments

• 20230207_224540.jpg
    20230207_224540.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230207_224155.jpg
    20230207_224155.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 20

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the same in mine but it doesn't operate the engine immobiliser
Mine does, I will not go outside now and take a picture, it's past 23h now, believe me without a picture:
there is inside the car some small plastic cover on the contact button that I have to remove, I put the key inside, I turn the key, and here we go!

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:52 AM
Reaction score
It’s not a Tesla but it has an all in one screen like one.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine does, I will not go outside now and take a picture, it's past 23h now, believe me without a picture:
there is inside the car some small plastic cover on the contact button that I have to remove, I put the key inside, I turn the key, and here we go!
Yeah that is common.
Often it is under the push button cap

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah that is common.
Often it is under the push button cap
In my case it's not a push button, but a "turn" button (or how do you call it?). I don't need the mechanical key, if the battery is OK. But the principle is the same of course.

Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7802671
I have a TD5 defender. It has a little chip which is run by inductance so it never goes flat. There is a battery in the key fob but it only powers the lock unlock buttons. You can remove the battery and as long as the key fob is near the steering wheel it will start.

IMG_6267-1_1024x1024.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Had a good look over the key yesterday. Nothing special, just a good old fashion flick Knick style key fob. I just hope the Ineos key ring is as industrial as their vehicle. It’s a heavy, chunky key 😝
Options may be available:
Screenshot_20230313_065346.jpg

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any news or info on the door locking set up. Ideally I would like to configure just opening the front doors with the key fob and leaving rear passenger and rear doors locked unless needed. I’m not used to modern cars so don’t know whether this is a configurable option.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All!

Curious about this one… since the Grenadier will have an old school key, can remote start still technically be a feature that's included? Can’t find any info on this!

Thanks!!!
Very much doubt that remote start will be an option without going to great expense at best. Never actually had remote start so not likely to miss it. Having said that, never had adaptive cruise control but having used it in a couple of hire cars, missing it already.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very much doubt that remote start will be an option without going to great expense at best. Never actually had remote start so not likely to miss it. Having said that, never had adaptive cruise control but having used it in a couple of hire cars, missing it already.
I guess I've never fully understood the rationale of starting a vehicle remotely ... to me it's fraught with risk. One needs to be in full control of the vehicle at all times...

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any news or info on the door locking set up. Ideally I would like to configure just opening the front doors with the key fob and leaving rear passenger and rear doors locked unless needed. I’m not used to modern cars so don’t know whether this is a configurable option.
Page 21 of the OM states press unlock button to open driver's door. Makes no mention of opening other doors/boot. Will keep reading to see if mentioned further on.
In the modern cars I have driven it's either 2x presses of the unlock button on the fob to open all the doors/boot and 1x press for just the drivers, or within the infotainment system you can go in and select under what conditions you unlock all doors/boot or just driver's door.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Page 21 of the OM states press unlock button to open driver's door. Makes no mention of opening other doors/boot. Will keep reading to see if mentioned further on.
In the modern cars I have driven it's either 2x presses of the unlock button on the fob to open all the doors/boot and 1x press for just the drivers, or within the infotainment system you can go in and select under what conditions you unlock all doors/boot or just driver's door.
I’ve read through it all once and couldn’t see any mention. Hopefully it’s configurable. I’m going to read through again to see what I’ve missed. At the moment I have lots of questions to ask but want to read through again incase I’ve missed something and make myself look foolish asking obvious questions that the owners manual can answer 🤔

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve read through it all once and couldn’t see any mention. Hopefully it’s configurable. I’m going to read through again to see what I’ve missed. At the moment I have lots of questions to ask but want to read through again incase I’ve missed something and make myself look foolish asking obvious questions that the owners manual can answer 🤔
Yes it is - I saw it somewhere. In Media section, Vehicle Setting I thought. But the OM is heavy going after page 133 so reading it without the vehicle to play in is heavy going

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Page 159 ~ Central Locking System: Settings can be set by the user, such as, Drive away locking, Selective Locking, Leaving Home, Light Timeout, Remote Lock Feedback, Auto Door Unlock, Follow Me Home and Re-lock Remote Unlocked Door.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
Since the electronics are Bosch, I would think someone will make a remote start unit for it. Some of the aftermarket ones for Hondas even use the factory key (ie triple-click and hold unlock).

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
I guess I've never fully understood the rationale of starting a vehicle remotely ... to me it's fraught with risk. One needs to be in full control of the vehicle at all times...
Right here is man that grew up driving a stick. I was with you until recently when my car had a remote start. Now we use it as way to defrost the windows as we get the kids ready to head to school. I know I am developing soft kids!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Right here is man that grew up driving a stick. I was with you until recently when my car had a remote start. Now we use it as way to defrost the windows as we get the kids ready to head to school. I know I am developing soft kids!
Isn't that what a parking heater is used for? saves a hell of a lot of fuel!

Back
Top Bottom